PDA

View Full Version : Dove Dangers

roy reali
August 31, 2010, 09:46 PM
Check out these statistics:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/stats/2006.pdf

In 2006, there were 18 reported hunting accidents in California. Seven of them was during dove hunting. In fact, it is the species with the most accidents. Does it make sense to anyone?

dawico
August 31, 2010, 10:06 PM
Yes, I guess. Usually you hunt with a group over a large area with alot of shooting going on. Per round fired though, it probably has the lowest number of accidents.

dawico
August 31, 2010, 10:09 PM
Now that I take a closer look, there may be some repeats on the list.

wpcexpert
September 1, 2010, 01:43 AM
Absolutly makes sense. There are enough inexperienced or negligent hunters in the woods during deer season. Now mix together those hunters in a field with a hundred other hunters, sometimes less than 30 yds from one another. Low birds can cause havoc on a dove field.

roy reali
September 1, 2010, 05:56 AM
If you look at the list, the only two fatal accidents involved deer hunting. That makes sense, getting hit with a round out of a deer rifle would be bad.

I do realize that low dove can lead to an accidental shooting, but aren't most dove shot at high angles? Besides, with the small shot used, unless the range to another hunter is close, should not cause much harm. I have had pellets rain down on me during dove hunting. I just look down to protect my eyes, but even the pellets that hit me are not even painful.

I wonder if the dove hunting accidents in that chart do count hunters that have shot fall on them across a field?

Pahoo
September 1, 2010, 10:05 AM
Does it make sense to anyone?
Sure does and indicates that you have some great dove shooting out there. If the number of birds is there, then the number of hunters will be there and the close proximity of all, will increase your number of accidents. ..... ;)

I would compare this to our experience in Iowa for when our number of Pheasants were up, our number of incidents were up as well. Now our numbers are down and the incidents are down as well. You will note that the leading cause, is listed as; Victim moved into line of fire
In Iowa this is listed as; Swinging on Game and that is axactly what is happening.

Early in the year, we review all incidents from the previous season for Iowa, Missouri and Illinoise. Our incident numbers are down but swinging on Game is still at the top of the list. The State's DNR's review these incidents and take steps to reduce the number whenever possible.

Never point the muzzle of a gun at anything your don't intend to destroy .. :eek:

and
Be Safe !!!

zippy13
September 1, 2010, 01:15 PM
I'll always remember when three of my squad-mates, all experienced comp shooters, went over to the Colorado River for the opening of dove season. At practice the next weekend, I asked how their shooting had been. The first reply was, "We had a great time." Seconded by "Yeah, it was awesome!" That was immediately followed by: "Bull s**t, someone shot me!!!"

Hunter Customs
September 1, 2010, 10:17 PM
Dove Dangers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out these statistics:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/stats/2006.pdf

In 2006, there were 18 reported hunting accidents in California. Seven of them was during dove hunting. In fact, it is the species with the most accidents. Does it make sense to anyone?

Yes it sure makes a lot sense here in Missouri. I can remember when dove hunting meant you had to go scout a place to find the birds and then get permission to hunt, that's not the case around here anymore.

The Missouri Conservation Department ( all in the name of making a buck) has started the practice of planting and culivating killing fields to draw in the birds and the hunters. There's no hunting to it, park your vechicle along the side of the road, grab your gun & shells, plop your butt down on a five gallon buckett in the killing fields and commence to killing the birds as they come in to feed.
I've seen vechicles parked bumper to bumper over a half mile in length on both sides of the road and all the idiots in these vechicles were going in to a killing field no larger then 8 acres.

What really burns my butt is the fact that the Missouri Conservation Department has laws against baiting wildlife but they turn around and do that exact thing when planting and culivating the killing fields.

Before anyone takes this out of context I have nothing against hunting,I'm all for hunting, I still hunt, but I will not take part in the killing fields.
It's a practice that should be stopped before someone gets seriously hurt.

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Pahoo
September 2, 2010, 09:49 AM
What really burns my butt is the fact that the Missouri Conservation Department has laws against baiting wildlife but they turn around and do that exact thing when planting and culivating the killing fields.

Glad to see that there is another state whose DNR, has questionable practices and procedures. I think you make a valid point. .... :)

We Dove-hunt Missouri, on private land, one close to a killing field and although we don't go there, we can hear the shooting. Opening weekend sure gets noisey and we have a great time. Doves really get used to these planted food plots. It's there nature to fly in and out of them and it's in the hunter's nature to take them. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Deerhunter
September 2, 2010, 11:48 AM
Headed to a "Killing Field" Monday in Virginia. My buddy won the drawling and is allowed to take one person. They drew 30 people's names for each day and each person gets to take someone. So I am looking at the fields on google maps and I am not sure what it will be like if all 60 people show up. Monday could be interesting that is for sure. I hope that about 20 people show up and maybe 10 bring someone. That would still be a lot of people though. The place is New Kent Forestry Center. The fields are planted with Millet and wheat strips.

publius
September 2, 2010, 01:44 PM
DON"T SHOOT AT LOW BIRDS. I got smoked from about 60yds. when i was 15-16 yrs. old. Luckily I was bending over to pick up a bird and facing away or it could have goten my eyes. I was bleeding. Wear shooting or sun glasses and move if you think someone is unsafe near you. It would be horrible to lose your eyesight or breaking the stock on your Superposed butt stroking some dumbass.

SheepNutz
September 2, 2010, 02:26 PM
We had a guy behind us in a field yesterday that took a pellet straight to the neck from about 60-75 yards away. My uncle was actually right next to the guy that shot at him. My uncle yelled "Low bird, don't shoot!" but the guy shot anyway and the guy behind me got hit hard enough to make him bleed. He gave the fella a good cussing and went on his way. What adds insult to injury (literally) is that the guy who shot him had a dog with him, and earlier the dog had ****** on the guy who got shot's vest!

Deerhunter
September 2, 2010, 02:41 PM
Yeah they sent out this whole list of rules. One of the first ones was "Do Not Shoot Low Birds". It should be interesting. At least they have a rule of 7s, 7.5s, 8s and 9s only. That might help but who knows.

If you take a look at the area on the map (google: New Kent Forestry Center) then look slightly down and left from where the pin is on the map. There are two fields with a "road" that connects them. One is a little smaller than the other and the bigger one has a hedge row running across it (East/West). I am not sure that 60 people will have enough room based on the map. Hoping that only about 30 or less show up but who knows. The way the lottery worked you didn't get to pick a day, you got what they drew you for so maybe a lot of people can't make it on the day they got.

BIGR
September 2, 2010, 09:35 PM
Does not surprise me one bit. Years ago I was peppered with shot in my left arm and shoulder by some idiot across the field.

Fat White Boy
September 2, 2010, 10:48 PM
No surprise. Every maroon with a shotgun goes dove hunting. It is easy and there is lots of shooting. Newbies look at the bird and not what is behind the target. I have hunted where shot rained down on us from all directions.

BTW- I got my limit out near Blythe, Ca yesterday. Unusually few hunters in the field...

xnaerughiazk
September 2, 2010, 11:47 PM
They won't let us shoot mourning doves up here in Maine, they are considered tweetie-birds, I'd like to shoot a few just to see how they taste, they look damn tasty.

I'd figure two would be good on the plate and three or four would be better.

We get to shoot woodcock up this way and three is the limit, make a fine meal for one, so everyone has to do their part.

Sometimes I put some bacon over them woodcock and that seems to get a nice brown crisp to them. Cook em about 35 minutes at 400, gotta start the potatoes ahead of time, maybe some frost-bitten brussel sprouts on the side.

Damn them Doves look tasty here in Maine and we can't even shoot em. :) :)

Fat White Boy
September 3, 2010, 11:22 PM
Dove are delicious. To clean them just cut out the breast. I put them in Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce then add Frank's Red Hot. A limit of 10 was perfect for my wife and me for dinner last night....