PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Hunting Trip.

mitchell koster
June 8, 2010, 11:16 PM
Hey all.

I know this is a frequently asked question and probably pretty boring but hey i'd like to hear some "ideal" places to hunt?

So Where would you go hunting for a whole two weeks in the one area? You can take your dream rifle and have a guide even.

Alot of people think that they'll never be able to hunt in the ideal place because they don't think its possible but hey, as long as your alive and kicking you can still go where you want.

Anyway, My ideal place would be in Canada hunting both Artic Wolves and foxes.

Have a good week.
MK

Doodlebugger45
June 9, 2010, 12:40 PM
It would have to be something that I can't easily do here locally. I can hunt deer, elk, moose, sheep, etc here.

For me it would be the Yukon Territory or Alaska. I would love to hunt caribou up there. Then when I had filled the caribou tag, I would want to go find a big ole brown bear. I have a Browning BLR in 325 WSM that I would love to try on both of those critters, but I would take my custom 7 MM Mag along as well.

kodiakbeer
June 9, 2010, 01:09 PM
The problem with Alaska is that if you're a non-resident you have to hire a guide for some species.

The best bang for the buck in Alaska is the Mulchatna caribou herd, they're the largest caribou in the world - each herd is genetically distinct, with the Mulchatna being the largest. It's a fly-in hunt where they can put you on any one of a quarter million lakes all by yourself and without a guide. There are also plenty of wolves, moose, grizzlies and a few black bear. Non-residents can hunt all but grizzlies without a guide.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164/kodiakbeer/boo.jpg

Doodlebugger45
June 9, 2010, 03:39 PM
I originally thought that caribou would be tough critters to bring down. But in talking to one of my contractors from extreme northern Alberta, he claimed they are much easier to kill than an elk. Do you agree with that assessment?

moosemike
June 9, 2010, 03:44 PM
They aren't nearly as big as an Elk so they should go down easier.

Doodlebugger45
June 9, 2010, 03:54 PM
That surely is a pretty caribou in the picture. Big or small, easy or hard to kill, it would definitely be a brand new experience for me. I'm hoping to land a contract managing a project or two in that north country in the next year or so. Then it would be even more convenient to get a caribou hunt in. The grizzly hunt? Maybe that's a pipe dream. It sounds exciting, but I'm not so sure it would be so fun to follow a bear you just shot into the heavy thicket not knowing if you hit him good and he's lying in there dead or whether he's just thoroughly PO'd now and waiting for you.

kodiakbeer
June 9, 2010, 05:12 PM
Actually, Mulchatna caribou (SW Alaska) are close to elk in size with some bulls going over 600 pounds. In northern or eastern Alaska they're much smaller, perhaps 300 to 400 pounds.

Tough as an elk? I suspect so, but look at that country behind the picture. If they don't go down right now, you can keep them in sight until they do. An elk can disappear into the timber, but caribou in most of that country can't.

I've taken them with a 7mm Mauser, 30.06 and 300 Win Mag. They all worked. A friend lung shot one with a .243 and we just watched them run away until his dropped out, slowed down and fell. An elk in timber would have been lost, but a caribou on tundra... not so much.

Huntress
June 9, 2010, 05:29 PM
I would love to travel to Africa for a 3 week safari to shoot baboons and chimpanzees....
My choice of rifles would be my Browning A bolt 375 H&H Magnum, My Marlin 1895 model 45-70 and also my Winchester model 95- 405 caliber.
I hate Baboons and I hate chimps and I would have no problem bagging those Oafs all day every day.

Scorch
June 9, 2010, 05:34 PM
Caribou in Alaska or NWT with my 7X57. Always wanted to but haven't yet.
OR
Plains game in Africa with a 375 H&H. Again, always wanted to.

Italian_Marksman94
June 9, 2010, 05:37 PM
Id like to go Red Deer hunting in Scotland, while this will never probaly happen it is my "Ideal Trip" lol. Id probaly bring a plain ol' Ruger #1 in .300 Winchester Mag just for fun, Red Deer do get VERY big too so I figure why not bring a big mean cartridge.

kodiakbeer
June 9, 2010, 05:55 PM
I would love to travel to Africa for a 3 week safari to shoot baboons and chimpanzees....

What wine would you drink with a chimpanzee steak? I'm guessing most people would choose Cabernet or Merlot with any game meat, but I think a nice Chardonnay might bring out the banana flavor...

davlandrum
June 9, 2010, 06:25 PM
I don't think I could keep it to one...

Most realistic - pack-in archery elk hunt, bear as a bonus
New Zealand - Red Stag, Tahr, Chamois
Africa Plains - wide variety to chose from

So many places, so many animals, so little money...:o

ZeroJunk
June 9, 2010, 06:48 PM
So many places, so many animals, so little money

Ain't that the truth. I would love to hunt blue sheep in the Himalayas maybe as much for the scenery, but it's not going to happen unless I win the lottery or something.

Daryl
June 9, 2010, 06:52 PM
Ideal would be Africa, with a wide variety to choose from.

More realistic for me would be Alaska. Been there, done that, can't wait to go back.

In the meantime, Colorado has a lot to offer. Elk, antelope, mule deer, whitetail deer, bear, and so on. That's fairly easy to do on my own. My wife was raised there, and a buddy of mine is an outfitter in Moffat. He'd be willing to drop me for a couple of weeks in the Sangre's, I'm sure.

Arizona offers elk, mule deer, coues deer, buffalo, desert bighorn, RM bighorn, bear, lion, turkey, and lots of smaller stuff too. Many speciies are close enough for me to hunt from home. It keeps me happy for the most part.

Mexico is a wonderful place to hunt for coues deer, mule deer, buffalo, and so forth, but I won't go there right now. Too risky.

Daryl

Buzzcook
June 9, 2010, 07:27 PM
The Canadian Rockies would be a great place. Two weeks is more than enough time to get several large cervi. A moose, an elk and a caribou and the rest of the time fishing.

Africa would be second. I owned an Impala that I wanted to shoot several times. It'd be nice to have a chance.

horseman308
June 9, 2010, 08:21 PM
I'm with Italian Marksman on the hunt for Scottish Red Deer, also using a Ruger # 1. However, I'd like it to be chambered in .303 British (though I'm not sure that would be legal there since it's technically a military cartridge).

Other ideal hunt - an elk hunt in either Montana, Arizona, or New Mexico with .58 flintlock.

doofus47
June 10, 2010, 08:28 AM
My hunting trips are all ideal since they constitute a wife-approved 100% break from my normal routine. I have a short shopping list for an ideal hunt.
Please God,
don't let the truck get stuck on on the 4wd road.
don't let me forget the beer and oreos for dessert.
don't let a bear eat our deer after we hang it.

Yeah, that's about it.

longranger
June 10, 2010, 10:28 AM
Yukon or Alaska for Stone or Dall Sheep,then I could die a happy man.

davlandrum
June 10, 2010, 12:02 PM
Slight variation, but I would stick to my normal elk/deer camp hunting with my hunting buddy rather than go on a "ideal" hunt solo.

roberto mervicini
June 10, 2010, 01:26 PM
If no budget problems ( like winning a major lotery ) ...Africa here I came for on month or maybe longer! All the rifles and cartridges are ready to be ship... I still buy the lotto ticket but my hope of wining are very little! But I like to dream!
Alaska is more on range, even if for now over my budget.
Couple of years a go with my son we had a fantastick trip on James Bay, caribou hunt. As Quebec resident every year we both enter our name for the draw of winter caribou permit and that year we got lucky!
We left the second week of december, the road Montreal to Radisson 860 Mi. is black, the last third was covered with snow and ice but with 4 studs tires our Montana had no problems even with a trailer and snomobile. The following day tooke the transtiga east ( gravel road, fully frozen but clean by snow plower every day ) to the bridge of Riviere Polaris 220 Mi. to the location of the outfitter Pourvoirie Mirage.
The accomodation are great, the food delicius and plaintfull, and the Caribou abbondant.... never seen that many animals in one area!!! Compleated our hunt 2 caribou each the following day, the weather was good but cold, - 20 celsius, a pleasure to clean the animal keept the hand warm..!!
My son use 7mm Rem Mag and I the .300 Win Mag, ( back up rifles .06 and 8mmx338 ) but any medium caliber would have done the work since the distance of our hunt was from 100 to 150 yrds.
_______
roberto

James R. Burke
June 11, 2010, 09:20 AM
I guess for whitetail I live in it. The U.P. of Michigan. No guid needed were I hunt, we do all our own grunt work. I know there might be better spots for bigger deer, but for two weeks here it's great. Then we have the Muzzeloading season open up the first Friday of Dec. I think it's a great time to hunt. Lot of folks have them, but dont use them. I just pretend it's opening day again, and hit it hard. I figure the really nice bucks need to make it thru the reg season anyways. In the U.P. when been trying something new that I think will work good. You can buy one lic, and take a buck with one antler 3" or more, or you can buy a combo. But one needs a min of three 1" points on one side, and the other needs 4 points 1" or more on one side. I think alot more hunters been leaving the smaller bucks go, and filling more doe tags. Like I said I know there are places with bigger or more deer, but we do have some nice ones here, and it's going to get better I hope. Last year I got a seven on the scales 156, and a eight on the scales 186. The seven had a bigger rack. I did get lucky. First time I used both lic. Most the time I do limit myself to one deer six or bigger. There is no doubt to get bigger deer you need to let the small stuff go. It's o.k. for a first time hunter or someone young. The way I look at it if there are alot of does, and you have a permit whats the differnce between that, and a spike. I also dont take does with young ones with her. I guess I am lucky to live were I would love to hunt. Also if you just buy the one lic, you can not go back for the second one.

Fat White Boy
June 11, 2010, 11:27 PM
My friend went on an African hunt. He said the bush was fun but the towns smell like pxxx and are covered with flies...

jgcoastie
June 12, 2010, 01:23 AM
I would choose a simple whitetail hunt with my Grandfather. Doesn't matter where, how, or what guns we use; just one more hoo-rah before his fading health gets the better of him.

Hawkeye_FH
June 12, 2010, 06:30 AM
I'm with longranger, Dall Sheep in Alaska would be on the top of the list. Though a grand slam would be an absolute dream. Then Argentina and New Zealand in no particular order. Spanish Ibex looks really fun too! Too much to hunt and not enough time or money.

1-UP
June 12, 2010, 08:59 AM
I'd take a week in a cabin in Michigan's UP with my brother, father, and father-in-law.

Might not be exotic, but it'd be a fantastic week and not too much of a stretch for actually happening.

jglsprings
June 12, 2010, 09:32 AM
Alaska for big Bear with my 375.... this has been a plan for most of my life and it may actually happen in the foreseeable future. BTW... with my son.

Dream hunt... anything in Africa. Sitting around camp having a sun setter.

Africa would be second. I owned an Impala that I wanted to shoot several times. It'd be nice to have a chance. I spit coffee all over my computer!!!!

wyobohunter
June 12, 2010, 10:27 AM
Mine would require a bigger boat... Say, one I could take to Kodiak and Montague islands. I spose a 32' boat with a tender deck would suffice (we can call my little 16' ob jet boat the tender) :D Then I could add deer and elk to my menu, without relying on transport services of any kind. Maybe if the lottery was even more generous I'd get a boat big enough to run on down to New Zealand for some Red Stag hunting and Steinlager, then over to... well, you get the picture.

James R. Burke
June 12, 2010, 12:37 PM
Thats what I was saying, and thats were I live,1-U.P. Sounds like you do also.

Dannyl
June 12, 2010, 01:48 PM
I hate Baboons and I hate chimps and I would have no problem bagging those Oafs all day every day

Huntress,
I think you are posting in the wrong forum. this one is about hunting, not about wanton killing. from what I have read in TFL, most, if not all hunters who post here shoot what they'll later eat, with exception to varmint hunters, who shoot animals that are accepted as pests and are known to cause damage to crops or livestock.

Since you live in a country where neither Baboons nor Chimps are to be found out of a Zoo or rescue-yard I have to wander where this hatred comes from.

I live in Africa, and although Baboons can be a nuisance at times and in some instances they cause havoc in houses or farms hardly anyone wants to kill them.

Chimps are on the other hand a rather shy and harmless animal, so I'm genuinely surprised by your statement. the only people that shoot Chimps are either rebels who eat them or sell them as bush-meat, or those who shoot the mothers and sell the young ones to people who buy exotic pets.

In case you wander, I do hunt. my next hunt is in two weeks, the one after that in August. I am no bunny-hugger, but I'm against pointless killing.

Back to this thread's topic, my idea of a fun hunt is to be hunting with my 11YO son, and hope to do better than my wife (she also hunts and is a heck of a good shot). This time I'm going for a few Springbucks and Blesbucks. In August it'll be Kudu and Gemsbok (Oryx). :)

Brgds,

Danny

sc928porsche
June 13, 2010, 08:11 AM
Ive been fortunate enough to have been able to go on my dream hunts except for 2. I would like to go to New Zealand for Red Deer, and Africa for the antelope species. Strange as it may seem, I really have no desire to hunt elephant, rino, hippo, or the cats. The only DG I would like to take is the Cape Buffalo.

mitchell koster
June 15, 2010, 08:49 PM
I totaly agree with you Dannyl, I think the hunting i most enjoy is hunting with my father and younger brother. Theres nothing like having the challenge of stalking animals with three people. It means that you have to be so much quieter and when someone gets something theres others to share the moment with.

Happy hunting all andI hopw that the "dream" hunt will come true for you all.

Best Regards

Mitchell

Jack O'Conner
June 23, 2010, 03:10 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/Fallowlargephoto.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/ibexX2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/axislivefullsize.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/redstagfullbody.jpg

I could go for a two week luxury ranch hunt in Texas within the sprawling hill country near Kerrville. I'd focus on a Grand Slam of Exotics:

- fallow deer
- red stag
- axis deer
- corsican ram
- mouflon ram
- blackbuck antelope
- ibex
- Spanish goat
- symitar horned oryx
- barbary sheep
- wild boar

I'd focus on late September hunt. I'd hunt with my 30-30 carbine and scope crossbow. Ranch must have a heated pool and outstanding accommodations. Cost would be more than I earn in two years but it's a nice little dream. That's all it is, a dream hunt.

Jack

Dannyl
June 23, 2010, 11:46 PM
Hi All,
in my case, my dream hunt happens twice a year:)
On Saturday I am off (with my wife and kid) for a week of hunting.(Here in South Africa)
On the list are Springbok, Blesbuck, Impala and maybe a warthog or 2.

Next hunt is on the 16th of August, in Namibia (Springbok,Oryx and Kudu)...

Brgds,

Danny

lt dan
June 25, 2010, 03:09 PM
Dannyll:"I live in Africa, and although Baboons can be a nuisance at times and in some instances they cause havoc in houses or farms hardly anyone wants to kill them."

maybe in the Cape my friend but here in the central region of s-africa, hunters gets discount if they kill a jackal or a baboon. imho a baboon is the most cruel animal on earth even worse than a jackal.

i have a customer that kills about 80 baboon a year on his farm and then exports the skulls to the USA. in my region it is a government declared pest.but i have to agree with you a chimp doesnt seem hunt able.

my ideal hunt would no doubt be any KUDU hunt, the grey ghost has beaten me far more than i would like to admit. add to this a wart-hog and i am in hunters heaven

Dannyl
June 26, 2010, 12:46 AM
Hi Dan,
Not to start a debate; I am well aware of the fact that Baboons are shot in many farms, but I believe that overall this is a minority and when it happens it is usually after they gave the farmers a good reason.

Jackals are a pest, no coubt.

Chimps? certainly not an animal that anyone should harm.

My answer was directed at a person who claims that she "hates baboons anc chimps" despite the fact that she lives in a continent where they do not exist.

Other than that, I fully agree that KUDU and Warthog hunting is the best.
In fact, these were the first two animals I ever hunted.

Where abouts in SA are you?

Cheers,

Danny

tachunter
June 26, 2010, 01:45 AM
I would love to hunt blue sheep in the Himalayas maybe as much for the scenery, but it's not going to happen unless I win the lottery or something.

Good choice!

Dall Sheep is another hunt I will go on in the future.

I will add though all the sheep hunts require a certain fitness and if you're not in decent shape it could be a nightmare. My buddy went on one last year. We are both fairly physically fit guys. He said it was the most physically demanding hunt he has ever been on. I can't wait.

tachunter
June 26, 2010, 01:47 AM
BTW Jack chill out on the size 100 font.

lt dan
June 26, 2010, 02:58 AM
Dannyl, I am in the N-west. groete

wyobohunter
June 26, 2010, 10:30 AM
I will add though all the sheep hunts require a certain fitness and if you're not in decent shape it could be a nightmare. My buddy went on one last year. We are both fairly physically fit guys. He said it was the most physically demanding hunt he has ever been on. I can't wait.

Most sheep hunting (specifically Dall) is very demanding. Last time I went two coworkers drew the Tok management area. We flew in to camp in Supercubs... there were sheep (not legal sheep) within 500 yds of camp just a couple hours after the planes were gone. Two tags filled in two days.
I've also been on murderous pack in ten miles and fight through alder jungle to get above treeline sit down and cry a little before continuing type sheep hunts:eek:

Brian Pfleuger
June 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
My ideal trip would be to take my dad to a place with enough deer that we could just sit and watch and wait for whatever buck he happened to want, and have it last a couple of weeks, whether we shot or not, with nights around a campfire with a bunch of other guys talking about what guys talk about at hunting camp.

TX Hunter
June 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
Any part of Texas, especialy South Texas.

moosemike
June 26, 2010, 08:37 PM
DIY Elk hunt in the Rockies.

72gator
June 26, 2010, 11:47 PM
Anticosti Island off the coast of Nova Scotia has been my whitetail Mecca for a long time now. I hope to go there with my Dad.

Joe

moosemike
June 27, 2010, 07:10 AM
I've heard bad reports about Anticosti. I was seriously talking to an outfitter there but a guy I know told me he hunted Anticosti and came home empty handed. He said a lot of the guys he hunted with came home empty too because the guide just told them to walk trails. Well the trails were full of boot tracks from the hunters before and the deer knew to avoid the trails. He said they hardly saw any deer and the guide wouldn't let them do anything else.

Bigfatts
June 27, 2010, 06:06 PM
My dream would be Africa, I don't care much where. I would start with a couple Warthogs, maybe an Antelope or two. Then would come close in Cape Buffalo. I would finish with an on-land Hippo. I would be shooting a Searcy .470NE double for the big stuff, with either a .550 Express or .470 Capstick as a tag-a-long gun. For the smaller stuff I would go with an old Euro stalking rifle, single shot break action in either 6.5x57r or .30-06. And since this is a dream hunt we're talking about, Peter Capstick would be my guide/back up. :cool:

Since this is the real world I will likely end up with a trophy hog hunt in South Florida somewhere. Maybe somewhere out west for Pronghorn if I'm lucky :o

moosemike
June 27, 2010, 08:42 PM
Better keep that one in the dream department since Capstick has been dead for a number of years.

Bigfatts
June 28, 2010, 10:38 PM
Like I said, dream hunt. God rest him...

Old Grump
June 28, 2010, 11:04 PM
Big pontoon boat, native guide crew, preferably a family, fishing gear, crossbow, custom built single shot 8MM-06 and a tributary of the Amazon, let the guides choose one for me. No phone, no radio, nothing electric or electronic near me except the battery and ignition system of the boat. Other than lots of DEET and ammo nothing modern on or around me, live off the river/land.