PDA

View Full Version : Utah non Residency permit

I Stand Alone
March 24, 2010, 02:20 PM
I will be attending a class here in Western New York on Saturday along with my wife, brother and sister-in-law.

It is 5 hours long and I prey it is interesting.

For those who have it have you ever been required to show it to an officer of the law and did you get any grief when you were out of your home state???

I Stand Alone

qcpunk
March 24, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have my CCW, I have been pulled over while driving out of state, and was required to provide my CCW info. In my experience there was no grief given by the officer, infact he was quite professional about the whole situation. Granted, every encounter with LE is different, but I have never had an issue with it. It is, however, very important to do your research on where you plan to travel. Is CCW even allowed there? Does the state you're visiting have reciprocity with your states CCW laws? And are you carrying in conjunction with their state laws?

Here is a great link for you with the basic info regarding reciprocity, then you will want to check the individual state's laws further regarding How to carry in that state legally.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Welcome to the club :)

(FYI, Utah honors NY permits, NY does NOT honor Utah permits. This has to do with class requirements. NY's class satisfies Utah's requirements, while Utah class does not satisfy the requirements of NY's permit laws. It's confusing I know....)

MBGSXR600
March 24, 2010, 03:59 PM
I have a Utah CCW and live in Missouir due to the age difference in obtaining CCW's here in MO. I have never had an issue aside from the common question about why i feel i need to carry.. I just always make sure I inform them I am a CCW holder when hand them my liscens. Some ask to see your CCW and some dont.. kinda just hit or miss.

Don H
March 24, 2010, 04:23 PM
(FYI, Utah honors NY permits, NY does NOT honor Utah permits. This has to do with class requirements. NY's class satisfies Utah's requirements, while Utah class does not satisfy the requirements of NY's permit laws. It's confusing I know....)
Just to clarify, Utah recognizes any CCW permit issued by a state or county. It does not have to meet any specific requirements.

The relevant Utah law:
76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
(1) This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
(a) a United States marshal;
(b) a federal official required to carry a firearm;
(c) a peace officer of this or any other jurisdiction;
(d) a law enforcement official as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
(e) a judge as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
(f) a common carrier while engaged in the regular and ordinary transport of firearms as merchandise; or
(g) a nonresident traveling in or through the state, provided that any firearm is:
(i) unloaded; and
(ii) securely encased as defined in Section 76-10-501.
(2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(b) by another state or county.

From BCI's reciprocity page:
In accordance with U.C.A. 76-10-523, Utah will honor a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by another state or county.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

qcpunk
March 24, 2010, 06:44 PM
Absolutely correct there Don. In this instance, Utah has decided to recognize any Concealed Handgun Permit from any state which has authorized such carry.

It gets tough when you're dealing with cross country travel though. In some states they have requirements regarding the length of the required class. If for example "State 1" requires an 8 hour class time with "XYZ" curriculum; "State 5" has a requirement of only 6 hour class time with "X and Z" curriculum. "State 5" would recognize the "State 1" permit, however "1" would not recognize "5" because the requirements have not been met.

Disclaimer: Just goes to reinforce the need to keep up to date on CCW laws, and not just in your own state. For anyone traveling with their gun, CCW or not, save your self the possible cost, headache, and legal issues.... do your research.

Hook686
March 26, 2010, 02:19 AM
March 24, 2010, 01:59 PM #3 MBGSXR600 wrote:

I have a Utah CCW and live in Missouir due to the age difference in obtaining CCW's here in MO. I have never had an issue aside from the common question about why i feel i need to carry.. I just always make sure I inform them I am a CCW holder when hand them my liscens. Some ask to see your CCW and some dont.. kinda just hit or miss.

Are you sure Utah does not require a nonresident to possess a CCW in their resident state before applying ?

Elvishead
March 26, 2010, 09:02 AM
Utah non Residency permit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be attending a class here in Western New York on Saturday along with my wife, brother and sister-in-law.

It is 5 hours long and I prey it is interesting.

For those who have it have you ever been required to show it to an officer of the law and did you get any grief when you were out of your home state???

OP,

pay................

Don H
March 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
Are you sure Utah does not require a nonresident to possess a CCW in their resident state before applying ?

Utah has no such requirement. That's why so many people from states such as IL, WI, and CA apply for a Utah permit.

Shane Tuttle
March 26, 2010, 09:34 PM
Don's right. My class was today which was located in Illinois. Class was huge. There must have been over 80 people in there and many were Illinois residents.

To be honest, the instructor was absolutely lousy. It was so bad....(how bad was it?!)....it was so bad the highlight of the course was experiencing the fingerprinting process the first time. Never knew there was an art to it like a good RN being able to stick your vein to draw blood.

Don H
March 26, 2010, 10:30 PM
Tuttle8,

Utah BCI is serious about weeding out the drones. Please complete this permit instruction questionaire to help improve the quality of instruction: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFPsurvey.html