PDA

View Full Version : Remington model 11 problems

Tido4570
March 6, 2010, 11:54 AM
I have a Remington Model 11. I load the magazine, pull the bolt back and push the bolt release button but the shell catch on the left side of the reciever will not let the shell go through, so when pushing the button nothing happens. And then when I fired a shell the barrel and bolt both got jammed in the rear position.
Any help please.
Thanks,
Steve

DG45
March 17, 2010, 12:18 PM
It looks like nobody else has any idea what this is either, so let me ask what may seem like a foolish question: Are you using the correct length shells? I ask this because I've seen several failure to eject type situations regarding Browning A-5's and Remington Model 11s reported on this forum as problems, which later turned out to be caused by using shells that were too long. Your problem seems like its a little different than these though because you say your bolt is actually jammed while in most of the problems I'm thinking of, the shell just wouldn't eject properly.

I think all Remington Model 11 12 Gauge shotguns used 2 3/4 inch shells only. I don't know about any other Gauge used.

Thats the only "quick fix" possibility I can think of. If that's not it, better take it to a gunsmith.

Tido4570
March 17, 2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah I was using a 2-3/4" shell.
I can't figure out the first problem either with the shell catch.
bummer.

Mac's!
March 18, 2010, 01:33 AM
Ive had a few Model 11's here in the shop for refinishing and the one thing that they had in common was a fair amount of surface rust and other assorted crud on the internal parts. My suggestion would be to open it up, clean it out and lube it. Then try again. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com

UpandAtIt
March 18, 2010, 07:25 AM
This truly depends on what year the model is.

If it is an pre 1927 model 11 (or 3 shot Sportsman) 12 gage, the cartridge stop spring (bolt release button spring) is a welded flat spring and prob has a crack down one of the sides. Solution: find a new or used cartridge stop with attached spring and replace. (this normally cannot be repaired as the spring is welded to the stop, any attempt to rep[air I have seen ends up in a more broken part and gun).

Post 1927 - The cartridge stop spring (bolt release button spring) is a cone shaped coil spring and very prone to having gunk and grime in it. Solution: remove the cartridge stop and spring, clean, lube and also clean the receiver recess for them. If spring is weak, replace. Do Not Stretch the spring to make it stronger, when reassembled, it will jam the cartridge stop.

The model 11 is very intricate, complicated and picky, most issues can be solved with a complete tear down and cleaning. They switched some parts prone to wear and failure in 1927. Finding pre 1927 parts is like hunting for hens teeth. Best bet is to look on gunbroker and auctionarms for junker guns in a pre 1927 serial range as Numrich /e-gun parts (their parts drawing is a POST 1927 and shows the cone shaped spring), Bobs, Wisners, Bear Creek and a few others only have post 1927 parts. Browning parts will not fit and if you find Savage 720-740-755 parts, they will fit as they stayed with the flat welded spring and did not change when Remington and Browning did. .

If your shotgun is post 1927 there are parts all over the place for them and replacement should be easy.

You will have to check your serial number against year to determine the pre or post 1927 status or if you are familure with it, take it apart to check what type cart stop assy you have.

PM me if you need more help.

saltydog452
April 18, 2010, 07:03 PM
UpAndAtIt,

Do you know of a source that matches serial numbers with year of mfgr?

My bride rec'd a RemM11 that has the safety in the trigger in the trigger guard. Its looks a lot like the Garand safety.

Thanks,

salty