PDA

View Full Version : Double Star AR 15 Flat Top

Catfishman
February 26, 2010, 08:24 PM
I just ordered a Double Star AR-15 with a 20" H-Bar barrel and would like advice on what kind of optics and what kind of scope mount is best. I plan on shooting varmits and targets at 500 yards and in.
This is my first AR and I've never shot anything over 250 yards.

DnPRK
February 27, 2010, 09:21 AM
You will need a set of extra high rings that place the centerline of the scope 1.5" above the top of the rail. This gives you the same cheek weld as A2 iron sights and allows you to keep your head upright. Burris Xtreme extra high rings are inexpensive and very well made. Burris also makes the PEPR one piece mount but it is more expensive by about $20. If you want the best, get a LaRue Tactical LT-104 mount.

Get the best scope you can afford. Higher price gets you better lenses and the quality of the lenses is what allows you to see varmints at extreme range. You'll be best served by a variable power scope that doesn't exceed 20x at the top end where mirage and insufficient brightness becomes a problem early in the morning or late in the afternoon. There are lots of scopes that fit this category...

Nikon Monarch X/Monarch Gold/Monarch series
Bushnell Elite 4200 and 6500 series
Burris Signature Select and Black Diamond series
Leupold Mark 4 and VX3 series
Weaver Super Slam series
Zeiss Conquest series
Any Nightforce
Any Schmidt and Bender
Any Swarovski
Any US Optics

Some brands to stay away from because the quality isn't good and you'll end up having to spend more $ to replace it ...(buy the best and cry once, or buy crap and cry several times as you have to upgrade)
BSA
Nikko Stirling
Leapers
Barska
Konus
NCstar
Tasco

Catfishman
March 1, 2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks A Lot.

Still waiting on my upper.

What are the advantages of the one piece. A friend told me I could take it off and put it back on without losing zero.

sonrider657
March 1, 2010, 09:36 PM
I'd get a 4X Trijicon ACOG. Well worth the money.

epic4444
March 1, 2010, 10:10 PM
a ACOG on a double star upper? never saw that before.

GLK
March 1, 2010, 10:17 PM
a ACOG on a double star upper? never saw that before.

Why not, ACOG is a great flat top optic for a young set of eyes or a skilled rifleman.

MosinM38
March 2, 2010, 08:39 AM
I got a Nikon ProStaff 3-9 on my flat top AR. Good scope. Not quite as good at low-light, but it's decent.

Bwana4
March 2, 2010, 11:59 AM
What DnPRK said

I put a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x on essentially the same rig and it is bright and clear, although when you compare side by side with Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Nightforce, etc, there is a noticable difference in crystal clear clarity. Simply put: buy the best you can afford.

p.s. get a trigger job as it will be an excellent and dirt cheap investment and will improve the groups.