PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Handgun Class

chronic
October 29, 2009, 07:15 PM
I hope I didn't step in it too deep but I saw in the paper this class was being offered and I called up and paid up. I am not for sure if I want to go through the whole permit license thing but maybe taking this class will help me make up my mind. Over the phone they said that they reccomended bringing 100 rounds of ammo for the largest caliber you will be carrying. I'll be lucky to be able to find that much ammo before then. Any comments or opinions?

kazanski612
October 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
The more training you can get, the better.

Beentown71
October 29, 2009, 08:12 PM
^^^^ yep. CCW is not a light choice. It is a huge responsibility that can be life changing. But taking the class will be a learning experience. Which is always good.

Beentown

chronic
October 29, 2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I agree this could be a life changing choice and I am not sure I am up for it. I have done some reading about it in the past but then I sort of put it on hold, but, then I read about the class in the paper and I just felt like I should take the class. One of the instructors is a local law enforcement officer with a very good reputation that I know just a little bit.

TailGator
October 29, 2009, 09:46 PM
The class is an opportunity to learn or reinforce your knowledge of firearm safety, laws, and tactics. The class does not obligate you to apply for a CCW license, and the license does not obligate you to carry on a daily basis.

But it does give you that option. If something happens that makes you feel threatened, it is to late to take the class and apply for a license. You will feel like you need to arm yourself that day rather than waiting weeks or months for the permit to be processed.

Many, but not all, find themselves gradually carrying more until they are carrying full time; if you aren't one of those, you still have the option of carrying when you feel you should, however rare or common that may be. Kind of no down side to my way of thinking.

Lee Lapin
October 29, 2009, 09:54 PM
You don't say what state you're in, so there's no way to tell how demanding the class will be- they differ from state to state. Most state's CCW classes are fairly... cursory, let's say. At the very least it will be an introduction to formal training, and passing it will get you closer to legal CCW in your state. That's a good thing.

Many such classes emphasize the legal aspects of self defense as much or more than shooting skills. That's a really good thing to pay attention to, keep notes, and find out where in your state's legal code the statutes on self defense are located. Be sure not to forget about the part of the law based on precedent or case law, either.

Congratulations and good luck,

lpl

chronic
October 29, 2009, 10:43 PM
Oh my gosh! I was just reading another thread and read where you actually are required to pass an accuracy test. I wonder how good a person needs to be able to shoot? Now I have a serious question for you all. What would be your weapon to take to the class and use to qualify. An H & R 922 .22 revolver or a S & W 28-2 6" highway patrolman? I was thinking of bringing the .22 since it would be cheap to shoot, but, I don't feel it is as accurate as my highway patrolman.

wmeSha
October 29, 2009, 10:50 PM
chronic:

The accuracy test in my class was not intimidating. There were several first time shooters in the class, and they all passed. This was Missouri, and the pass level was 15 of 20 shots hitting a man-sized target at 7 yards (with revolver and pistol). The instructor had a revolver and pistol to use for the students that only had one or the other.

Many in my class qualified with .22lr handguns. I chose 9mm and 38spl myself since I was familiar with those guns. For a class like mine, you'd want to bring 100 rounds for your pistol and 100 rounds for your revolver.

ranburr
October 29, 2009, 11:15 PM
I teach the class in TX and it is not a learn to shoot or tactics course. The curriculum is spelled out by the state. I would assume that most states are the same. I would suggest that you go get a basic handgun course and get familiar with your weapon and then decide if you want to be a CHL holder.

bbqbob51
October 29, 2009, 11:15 PM
The accuracy requirement in the class that my wife and I took was being able to hit a paper grocery bag tacked on a stand 21 feet away. If you put all your shots on the bag, you passed.

sakeneko
October 29, 2009, 11:36 PM
Chronic, when my husband decided to go for his Concealed Firearm Permit this spring, I took the class with him although I was unsure I would get a gun and carry. My father owned guns and I learned to shoot as a child, but had never owned a gun as an adult and had only been shooting a few times with friends. My husband was planning to purchase and keep a gun in the house, however, so I wanted a safety and skills refresher so that I would be confident I knew how to handle it, and an overview of gun laws in Nevada.

I ended up buying my first gun a few weeks after the class, and now carry regularly. ;-) But even if you don't, if it's a good class, you will learn things you didn't know and likely will want or need to know. Don't sweat this -- I actually think getting the training before you decide whether you want to carry a concealed firearm.

mega twin
October 30, 2009, 05:21 AM
Depends on where you are from.
In Arkansas, the permit course consisted of a state trooper reading off the legalities of using deadly force,and showing proficiency with your handgun,which meant loading and unloading a dummy round in front of the instructer,and putting 20 rounds into a paper grocery bag.
A basic NRA course would teach you a lot more about firearms safety and handling.

zombieslayer
October 30, 2009, 06:58 AM
My CC class was 5 hours of old people from ohio and michigan (snowbirds) asking questions like- Don't I legally have to fire a warning shot? :barf: Then some basic instruction from the legal standpoint (people amazed me with their ignorance of the law and their own rights/responsibilities). Then we had to put a few .22 rounds through a sihouette at 15 yards or so. It was basic and if I knew NOTHING about guns or the law, it would have been informative. For me, it was just a legal step I had to make. For a society famous around the world for its guns, and views on guns, it seems the average American doesn't really know much about firearms and their safe use.

Sefner
October 30, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hey chronic, what state are you taking the class in? Most people who take an accuracy test for CCW classes all report back that the test is very easy. I think you can even try as many times as you wants.

T.A.Sharps
October 30, 2009, 03:07 PM
My shooting test was only 5 rounds a reload and 5 rounds shot at 10 yards, and a score of 80%. Seemingly pretty easy for someone who shoots a lot.

I was not nervous for most of it, but this was the first all or nothing shoot I've been at, and when it came closer for my chance to shoot it was actually getting nervous. I had a little ammo choice concern from shooting the day before when they seemed to drop low.

From the results, it really zeroed my focus and got my adrenaline going. The front sight was bucking in high speed, and before I knew it all 10 rounds made a tight group of holes in the 10 ring.

I was worried before I saw my grouping up close, after I was done I watched the hits the guy next to me was getting and they were all low. He was and older guy acting kinda cocky earlier while we were waiting.

kazanski612
October 30, 2009, 07:27 PM
ranburr - the Texas course is WAY different than the Colorado course. The CO course I took was an NRA Basic Pistol course, which just happens to satisfy the state CCW requirements. Most Colorado courses do include a shooting/basic proficiency phase, but it's not required by state law.

To the OP: it all depends on where you live as to how difficult your course will be. But regardless of difficulty, what's the harm? If you don't care about getting your CCW permit, even if you "fail" the course, I'm sure the training you received would be beneficial. I'm not sure why you would NOT take this course.

Balzomedic
October 30, 2009, 07:51 PM
Definitely agree with all the comments about taking the class even if you dont go on to get your license, you will probably learn some valuable info.
I took the course here in Oklahoma which consisted of 5 hours or so of the legal aspect, and maybe 10 minutes of shooting. The targets were placed at 9 and 3 yards, respectively. In oklahoma you can carry either a revolver, a derringer, or a semiauto, and if you qualify with a semiauto you can carry all three (only 2 at a time though). the shooting was pretty easy. You did have a limited amount of time to get all your shots in, but everyone who took the class the day I did found the given time was very easy to make.

chronic
October 30, 2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks all of you for the encouragement to take the class. I am starting to relax about it now and just enjoy learning and meeting some new people. You folks are really great. I should be getting a letter in the mail tomarrow that will give a little more detail about the class. I'll let you know what I find out.

fcs25
October 31, 2009, 11:31 AM
Since you are taking on the responsibility of arming yourself shoot all you can in order to develop muscle memory.

dav
November 5, 2009, 05:48 PM
I find all firearms training classes fun and educational, regardless of difficulty or stress level.

But the very first defensive handgun class I took I asked a "fence-sitter" female along... not quite a date, but close.

The instructor, very improperly in my opinion, stated that, "if you are in this class, you have already made the decision that you could kill someone in defense of your life." :barf:

What a horrible thing to say to a woman who has never even fired a gun, and was only there because I had asked her along!

She did not end up enjoying herself and has never shot since. And she won't go to the range with me. Very sad.

Glenn Dee
November 5, 2009, 09:45 PM
Strongly suggest you leave the "chronic" at home....Chronic...

chronic
November 6, 2009, 05:09 PM
glendee, I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mean I shouldn't take the class. If you have a comment to make about the term "chronic" well ok but why would you think I would go around telling people I go by "chronic" on this board or for that matter you don't even know what it means when I use that name.

bangbangshootshoot
November 6, 2009, 10:56 PM
Go for the class, it will be a positive experience for you whether or not you pursue getting your license.
Take whatever pistol you're familiar with; my class had everything from 22's, 9mm, 38's and 45's, with experienced to 1st time shooters.
The shooting part of the class consisted of shots from 3,5 and 7 yds. It's not an accuracy test by any means.
I can say that about half the class went ahead to get their concealed permits, the rest took it purely for the information taught, (by the way everyone passed, it would be quite hard not to imho.)
Have fun.

stickhauler
November 7, 2009, 01:34 AM
I liked the way the course I took was set up. They required you to have your firearm, with a minimum caliber of a .380. They required you to have 150 rounds of ammo with you when the range portion took place. The mindset of the head instructor is that a .380 is the minimum caliber capable for use as a self defense weapon.

My course was in Ohio, we use the NRA Basic Pistol Course lesson plan as a basis for the instruction, with portions dealing with the concealed carry law for Ohio, and portions stressing the responsibilities you take on carrying a firearm for self defense.

The range portion consisted of firing a minimum of 50 rounds at a paper plate sized target, at the maximum range of perhaps 15 feet, if you got 40 of 50 in the 8" plate sized target, you qualified.

chronic
November 7, 2009, 08:15 AM
I went out yesterday with my little h & r 922 .22. I shot probably close to 60or 70 rounds trying to hit an object at about thirty feet. The little handgun has fixed sites. It shoots high. Well anyway I am going to be taking my s & w model 28-2 and I will shoot .38 specials. I know it is way more accurate that that little .22. It is odd, I can shoot more accurately by pointing and shooting that .22 than if I use the sites.

40SpringGuy
November 7, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hey Chronic - reading through the threads I don't see where you expect to be carrying; however, the 8 hr class we have in TN was very informative - they supplied the ammo and to my surprise - it was mostly women. I really enjoyed it and even started taking some advanced classes since then.

chronic
November 8, 2009, 07:23 PM
Belly up to the bar boys and girls. I'm buying a round to celebrate my completeing and passing and receiving my certificate from the concealed carry class. Lots of good info and I shot that bad guy piece of paper in the heart many times. Not a lot of time for a lot of questions but it was a very good experience. I will be sending in my application for the Concealed Carry Handgun License. Thanks to all and cheers!