PDA

View Full Version : newer model Ithaca 37 or 87 12ga receiver for a tac build

fastfr8r
October 23, 2009, 07:24 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm looking for a newer model Ithaca 37 or 87 12ga receiver for a tac build, with or without barrel and magazine, rough finish OK.

hogdogs
October 23, 2009, 07:34 AM
What is a "tac build"? You mean "tactical"? If so it needs pointed out that tactical is a verb assigned to a plan not a noun assigned to a firearm... I am as "tactical" with a dinner fork as I am with a gun. My $99 Savage .22 with air rifle scope missing the magazine used as a single shot is as tactical in my hands as any farkle equipped shotgun...;)
Brent

Scattergun Bob
October 23, 2009, 08:03 AM
Please, check out the thread "How do you feel about firearm/shooting slang terms? " in the general discussion forum toward the bottom of the home page. It will explain some comments.

I take it that you meant the IAC MODEL 87W-1 LEVER ACTION shotgun as the 87 you were talking about, and of course the Ithaca 37 pumpgun. I am intrigued by your selection of actions to "tactically build" on. For what purpose or game are you intending the scattergun for?

Good answers REQUIRE good complete questions.:confused:

Good Luck & Be Safe

fastfr8r
October 23, 2009, 09:22 AM
Scattergun Bob, thanks for redirecting me to the General Discussion, had no idea people might be sensitive to the term "tac" when referring to tactical, I've grown lazy with my shorthand references. As for the "87" in my post, no not an IAC, Ithaca model 87, which was the 37 for a while though I believe they've gone back to the 37 designation. The purpose of the build is to indulge my hobby for refinishing and get some use in 3 gun.
Oh and gee, hogdogs, dinnerfork aside, wouldn't "tac" be an adjective assigned to a plan, or as in my post "tac build"?;)

Scattergun Bob
October 23, 2009, 10:19 AM
I've grown lazy with my shorthand references

So have I, and most who write here. Not to worry.

Ithaca model 87, which was the 37 for a while
OK, got it.

I see a lot of vintage M-37 out there in the market place. Mostly hunting models, with standard magazine tubes. Most range in prices $200 to $350, check your local pawn shops and consignment / hunting oriented gun shops, I am sure one will pop up.

During my time in the Brown Water Navy, the M-37 was the backbone of our fighting scatterguns, a few M-12 and 870's mixed in. The M-37 is a solid platform and I like it. The shell lifter bars are of great use if you have a double feed. The weak link is the single action bar.

The problem I see, is that the present world of fighting scatterguns is dominated by two flavors of pump scatterguns. Remington 870 series(vanilla) and Mossberg 500 series (chocolate) every thing else is an afterthought for parts makers. All the tacti-cool stuff you may want to hang on your M-37 will have to be adapted or scrounged through very hard effort. The fixed mag tube and barrel locking stud will have to be dealt with, unless you are luck enough to find a extended magazine model.

Good Luck on your project, and Be Safe

hogdogs
October 23, 2009, 10:24 AM
Adjective in many folks description but it is truly a "verb" in mine... it is an action to me and not a descriptive term. I am likely well off base calling it a verb but to me that is what it is... Tactical equals ACTION... as for the gun... I dunno...
Brent