PDA

View Full Version : Rust in bore of my High Point 9mm!

mysticwarrior
July 28, 2009, 12:40 AM
Question: 1 month ago - After using for the first time I rodded barrel with solvent then rodded with patches until clean, then did the same with oil.....today, looks like rust in barrel..........what am I doing wrong here?

Hellbilly5000
July 28, 2009, 12:44 AM
what solevent are you useing
I recommend hoppes #9 it works great and it smells awesome

mysticwarrior
July 28, 2009, 12:49 AM
I am using hoppe's #9.....I am ex soldier but mostly clean riffle....never a pistol.....what is the best way? I have a high point 9mm.

Hellbilly5000
July 28, 2009, 01:21 AM
It does not sound like your doing anything wrong I am not sure why there would still be rust unless you got the gun used and the previous owner did not maintain it properly

predator86
July 28, 2009, 02:22 AM
you have a high point:p

spray some of that foaming bore cleaner in the barrel, it might be copper buildup

johnwilliamson062
July 28, 2009, 09:10 AM
If you ship it back to HP they will get you a new barrel free of charge. Lets figure out what is going on before we do that though.

What oil did you use? If you used remoil, or even hoppes light oil, then left it sit in a drawer or something I would not be surprised if you got a little rust. Use CLP or grease or put it in a safe with some sort of humdity control.

Was the cleaning rod brass? If you were using a steel, or a copper washed one, and some of the cheaper ones are, then you could have scratched the finish which lead to rusting. Not sure what HPs are finished in. It is sort of like mellonite or whatever Glock uses but I am not sure.

Mike Irwin
July 28, 2009, 09:56 AM
More importantly than what solvent you used...

What ammo did you shoot in it?

If the ammo was foreign military surplus and corrosive primed, your cleaning regime was not sufficient to prevent rusting.

johnwilliamson062
July 28, 2009, 01:26 PM
is there corrosive 9mm around? I have never seen any.

Mike Irwin
July 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
Not as much as there used to be, but yes, there is corrosive 9mm ammo around. I still occasionally see Syrian and Egyptian 9mm at gunshows, and that stuff is usually the worst culprit.

I've even seen some 1950s era British ammo that was corrosive recently.

Capt_Vin
August 23, 2009, 06:38 AM
I had the same problem, but not only with my Hi Point .9 and .40, bu with one of my ARs and a few others. Turns out my bottle Hopps #9 was contaminated from saturating the patch by dipping it in the bottle. Now, I use a pipette or eye dropper to saturate the patches and the problem went away as fast as it showed up.

James K
August 23, 2009, 06:18 PM
There is plenty of corrosive 9mm around but corrosive .40 S&W and 5.56 is so unlikely as to be impossible.

I think what the OP may be seeing is copper wash in the barrel from the bullet jacket, not rust. If so, it can be removed, but I don't consider it worth the effort unless it really builds up.

Jim

Inspector3711
August 26, 2009, 08:42 PM
A tip for corrosive ammo... Just run a couple of patches soaked in Windex through it before you clean next time... If that turns out to be the problem....

farmall
August 27, 2009, 12:11 PM
These weren't cast bullet reloads were they? I'm wondering about leading??

With todays ammo shortage, all sorts of abnormal scenarios come to mind.

Andy

comn-cents
August 27, 2009, 12:30 PM
I thought that's how they came.:D