PDA

View Full Version : narrowing down which scope to choose

MAWLER
June 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hi guys,

I'm beginning the long search for a scope to match my CZ 527 in .22 Hornet that I bought on the weekend. I am looking at around the 3-9x40 variable range and have a budget of around US$400. 95% of my shooting is over a spotlight or in low light conditions and this is designed to be a walkabout rifle so I would like to keep weight and size to a minimum.

The ones currently on the short list are Bushnell 3200 Elite, VXII, Weaver Grandslam, Vortex and Burris Fullfield II

I have looked at the bushnell and VXII and both look good and about par. None of my LGS stock Weaver so I havn't had a chance to examine one but have read some good reviews and like the sound of the Micro Trac adjustment system, I heard they are made in China, is this true and/or a problem? Also havn't had a chance to look at the Burris.

Vortex gets a good rap down here in Oz and are attractively priced but I have never seen one also to see how it compares to the other brands.

Any other scopes I should be considering?

I am reasonably un-educated when it comes to scopes so any extra info besides 'Leupy' will be much appreciated

Cheers,

Sam

halfmile
July 1, 2009, 09:08 AM
I would look seriously at the Nikon Monarch or the Zeiss Conquest if I were you.

I have both, and they outshine My Leupold and Burris items.

Vortex is the new kid on the block, and I would not want to be the consumer test guy unless the scope was free. That said, the Viper series seems to be of good quality, and Crossfire is entry level, to be avoided.

HM

skydiver3346
July 1, 2009, 09:14 AM
Well, of the ones that you mentioned in your thread, I would choose the Bushnell 3200 Elite. Great little scope for the money, (got one on my slug gun). If it will keep its zero while shooting .12 GA slugs, it will do the same for your .22 Hornet with no problems.

sholling
July 1, 2009, 10:49 AM
Bushnell Elites, Vortex's Viper, and Weaver V, T, and K series are all made in Japan.

Nikons, Weaver's new 40/44 and Burris' Fullfield II are made in the Philippines.

Vortex's Diamondback, Pentax's Gameseeker, and all but the top of the line Mueller are made in China.

James R. Burke
July 3, 2009, 09:29 PM
You might check out the Leupold line. I have several and never had a problem. Great scope for the money, and lifetime warranty.

Wildalaska
July 3, 2009, 09:37 PM
This is how I rate scopes in terms of quality and optics

1. S&B
2. Zeiss (german)
3. Swarovski
4. Leupold
5. Trijicon/Nightforce

I have no use for Burris, Weaver, Bushnell, Simmons and Nikon.

WildsorrytoinflamesomeegosAlaska TM