PDA

View Full Version : identify and price Manton flintlock shotgun

kmalcolm14
June 25, 2009, 12:55 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, but I heard it has a lot of knowledgeable members. I recently inherited an old double-barreled shotgun. It is stamped with Manton on both sides, and looks to be in decent shape. I haven't had a chance to clean it and fully examine it for markings, but there appears to be some symbols also stamped on. I was just wondering if anyone knew the rough year and/or value of this gun. I'm trying to decide whether to mount it over the fireplace or fix it up.
Thanks!

kmalcolm14
June 25, 2009, 06:08 PM
I took a good look at it today, and saw that it has "A344" stamped on the barrel. Any help would be most appreciated

James K
June 25, 2009, 08:28 PM
First it is not a flintlock, it is a cap-lock or percussion gun.

The name Manton was justifiably considered a mark of a quality gun, but the down side was that thousands of guns turned out in Belgium and other countries were marked "Manton" even though neither John nor Joseph Manton had anything to do with them.

First research item is to check the barrel and breech for proof marks. If you find English proofs, the gun may be a genuine Manton. If you find no proofs, or Belgian proofs (like an oval with "E L G" inside) you know it is a fake.

Better pictures of the lock plates, and of any markings on the bottom of the barrel would help if still in doubt.

Jim

Hawg
June 25, 2009, 08:35 PM
What Jim said.

koolminx
June 25, 2009, 09:18 PM
Don't mean to be mean... But that's a caplock gun not a Flint gun... Caplock would be the proper term here from the way I see BP rifles... Even if it's been modified from flint to cap, it's still a caplock as it sits... To me :)

I also backup that you should check on the bottom of the barrel for smith marks and other identifiers.