PDA

View Full Version : Remington choke tube in BPS?

got ammo?
June 4, 2009, 08:54 PM
I somehow managed to loose my full choke cylinder for my Browning BPS Invector. A buddy of mine gave me a Remingtom screw in choke and told me it would work just fine in my Browning.I screwed it in, just to see how it would fit,and it seems to fit, but there is about a 1/4 inch overhang of barrel from the end of the choke,is this OK, or am I asking for trouble by using this choke? I just want something other than an Imp Cyl for an upcoming turkey shoot, and cant seen to find a Browning choke readily available.

dalecooper51
June 4, 2009, 09:02 PM
The standard invector is compatible with the Mossberg Accuchoke and the Winchoke.

I would not use it with a remington choke stuffed in there.

Go get a choke tube.

Dave McC
June 5, 2009, 05:39 PM
Decent choke tubes are neither scarce nor costly.

Loose thy miser's grip on a few shekels and pony up for a correct tube.

Seriously, the overhang is only cosmetic. The crucial part is whether the other end snugs up leaving no gap between the thicker part of the bore and the beginning of the tube. Any gap means the gas pressure can get to the thinnest part of the barrel and BULGE it.

That will ruin your barrel and day.

I wouldn't fire even one round from that mismatch.

HTH....

JWT
June 5, 2009, 05:44 PM
Not worth screwing up a good barrel by using a choke that is not made for that specific manufactures barrel. The Remigton choke will not work just fine in the Browning - even if it dows screw in to the barrel. Try one of the on line vendors and see how fast they can rush an Invector out to you. I've had deliveries from Midway USA arrive in two days after placing an order, if they have one in stock give 'em a call and see how fast they can get it to you.

a7mmnut
June 5, 2009, 06:53 PM
I can't believe it would even thread up? I have 6 different tubes for my BPS with the old Invector I short tube. I got the best results with the stainless Hastings tubes made for the Browning/Mossberg/Winchester/Weatherby old style that I ordered from Natchezss.com. These are high quality and very rigid in the walls. My favorites are Skeet I and Skeet II, followed by Improved Modified. These have filled in the blank spaces between the standard factory tubes, and have proven well in the field. Rem chokes are made strictly for Remingtons, and I have them as well. As you found out, obviously, the seating depth is quite different.

-7-

RamSlammer
June 5, 2009, 08:40 PM
Don't do it! Get an Invector choke unless you like the look of an umbrella for a barrel end.

oneounceload
June 5, 2009, 08:54 PM
geez, these chokes are all of 20-35 bucks - get the right ones

BigJimP
June 7, 2009, 06:33 PM
not trying to pile on - but Dave and OneOunce are right ... just buy the right chokes.