PDA

View Full Version : Model 11

pfloyd
May 17, 2009, 12:14 PM
I had a Remington Model 11 handed down to me. It, at least I think is in "okay" shape. It has some rust, but not that bad, and the stock must have had some fraying as it has been taped. I am sure it has not been shot in over 40 years. I would like to restore it and make it work, but I do not have a lot of money to be dealing with smiths. Plus, in my area, they are so packed they don't need any business for a while. I am not familiar with shotguns at all. I would like to replace the stock and forearm, clean it really good, and reblue it. Any suggestions?...for a novice? What type of stock or forearm would fit on this gun?

pfloyd
May 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
pics

2amencw
May 17, 2009, 12:37 PM
I had a similar gun that i restored. I replaced the stock with a synthetic stock for an A-5. One area around the stock tang had a gap but it had no effect on the gun. I had it refinished in black oxide. This is basically bluing but a little more durable. Good luck

pfloyd
May 17, 2009, 12:42 PM
pics

armsmaster270
May 17, 2009, 06:02 PM
Same here the wood stocks tended to split I replaced 2 before going to the Synthetic A5 stock.

Dave McC
May 17, 2009, 08:26 PM
The 11 is a classic shotgun, just like its A-5 sibling.

Most old ones need a decent smith to go through the receiver and clean/lube it, removing old seeds and other detritus. Like the A-5, there's lots of little parts and tight tolerances.

An elderly smith,now gone to his reward, told me of an 11 that had the crimp area of a plastic shell torn off and more or less cemented into the forcing cone. Untold rounds had been fired with it in place.

Pressures must have been hellish but the 11 held together, JMB overengineered for stuff like that.

Some A-5 oarts will interchange, including the major springs and friction pieces. A new set of each will not cost that much and will extend the life of this by a generation or three.

You can redo the finish on the metal, but since there's no rust I'd rather just conserve it.

As for the wood, a thin coat of good epoxy inside the forearm will help it stay together and unsplit.

In your shoes, I'd conserve the metal, redo the wood and shoot it plenty in memory of those who had it before.

HTH....

pfloyd
May 18, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thank you for all of the information. So, this would fit my gun?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=536689

impalacustom
May 19, 2009, 03:48 AM
The Browning stocks won't fit right, the Model 11 and A5 have a different angle to the tang, compare your A5 in picture 6 to the Model 11. Give this guy a call and he will have the stock for you, http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/ Me personally I wouldn't reblue that gun, I like the patina. I would clean it up good though and put a new stock on it, it looks like your forearm is in good shape so I'd leave that. It is important though on these guns to keep the magazine cap screw tight, tighten it as tight as you possibly can with your fingers.

Taking the gun completely apart and putting it back together isn't that hard if you are mehcanically inclined and have a knack for how things work. If you were somewhat close to me I'd be more than happy to help you out. The Model 11 has a fiber buffer in the back of the receiver which tends to break, disentigrate over the years or just get oily and collect dirt. Mine was in good shape but was oil soaked so I replaced mine with a 95A urethane buffer I made and put in, the original buffer is held in place by a blind rivet.

Parts interchange are hit and miss with the new A5's and the old Model 11's. Some screws don't interchange and on the some of the 20's the bronze bushing for the recoil spring won't work from the new A5's. My 20 also has a flat (square) spring for the recoil spring and the new ones don't fit my magazine tube so I have to buy the old ones. Parts are still available if you need them though. The Savage 720, Model 11 and A5 all have some parts that will interchange as they were all JMB's design.

I would say your gun was made in the last years, all my data goes to is 1944 and the last serial number is 716,840, they were made until 1947 though, assuming it is a 12ga. The choke looks like a Polychoke but it looks like someoen changed the bead to a ramp. Take a look at your Browning and see what I mean. I would say someone added that choke as well, most of them came with Cutts or Weaver chokes.

Do you have any pictures of your Browning A5? I'd love to see more of that one as well.

Evyl Robot
May 20, 2009, 09:52 AM
I agree with Dave McC. Your gun is in great shape! Before I looked at the pictures, I expected to see a boat anchor. Take it down, clean it, oil it, address the stock and go shoot it! 11's are a lot of fun! *Boom! Booooiiiiiinnnnnggggg!*

--Michael

pfloyd
May 20, 2009, 10:47 PM
As requested

pfloyd
May 20, 2009, 10:52 PM
Pics of Browning

pfloyd
May 20, 2009, 10:57 PM
A-5...guess in good shape for it's age

pfloyd
May 20, 2009, 11:06 PM
A-5

SeekHer
May 22, 2009, 11:14 AM
You might want to try someone like Michael M. Kokolus (http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/) who can duplicate your stock for you in any grade wood you select...There are lots out there...

Also, the Remington was made under license from Browning as it is an A-5 with very slight modifications...

ruel
July 27, 2009, 06:43 PM
hi guys, im ruel here from the philippines, i do also have a remington 11 from my grandfather before he passed away 10 years ago, it had a serial number 805369, can you guys check what year it was made?

now i am using it for duck hunting, it performs well , also i want to know if it is a full choke, i ask it because i saw a full written in the end of the barrel. any reply will do much appreciate.. i'll attach some pictures next time....