PDA

View Full Version : Best source for pure lead

olmontanaboy
April 21, 2009, 05:03 AM
What's the best place to obtain suitable soft lead for casting? I'd like to get some for casting some conicals. Some time ago I used hard aloy wheel weights for cartridge guns and had some pure lead for my muzzleloaders but that's long gone. I tried the local large chain hardware stores but they don't sell it around here.

Doc Hoy
April 21, 2009, 05:55 AM
OMB,

My cousin was a stone mason. He used pure lead to set bannisters and railing stanchions in masonry floors on porches and such. What with the EPA and OSHA this practice may no longer be permitted.

Hawg
April 21, 2009, 05:02 PM
Find a tire shop and get wheel weights. The stick on weights are 99.5% pure lead. I use them for all my muzzleloaders. The clip on weights are too hard but you might could trade them for pure.

Pahoo
April 21, 2009, 05:49 PM
Add these to your search list. Pure lead was a common supply for plumbers. They no longer use it on sewage and ground piping. I picked up 25lbs. of ingots from a plumber buddy. Large electrical cable use to be sheilded with pure lead and you might find some of this stuff. I have a freind that works in a foundry and some lead is present in their pours and winds up on the floor. So, check with a foundry guy. If nothing else, go to a scrap yard as they sell it as well. Prices were down but not sure where they are now. Another friend of us rakes it out of the berm of his shooting club but mostly an alloy.

Be Safe !!!!

Shane Tuttle
April 21, 2009, 07:58 PM
This might help you out...

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=552401#post552401

....and, YES, it does state 100,000 POUNDS!