PDA

View Full Version : Which 18" shotgun as NO safety to engage before jacking in a shell?

sundance66
April 17, 2009, 08:40 PM
Hey again:

As my Home defense Pump is NOT kept loaded (accidents happen that way!)
I need a shotgun where there is no Interlock to press, click or hold BEFORE I draw back the pump and load a shell. This is Especially important for my wife, who is NOT gun savvy. I heard that Winchester makes, Made such a shotgun, but I cannot find any info on it.

If this is truly a pump and shoot gun, it is what I want. Any ideas or links you can offer?

Thanks

[email protected]

KLRANGL
April 17, 2009, 09:02 PM
As long as the hammer is down, im pretty sure no pump guns require hitting the pump release lever...

So your solution there is to just pull the trigger on either the empty chamber or snap cap.

I think you have the wrong idea on what the release lever does....
Or I dont understand your question... either one is possible...

jmr40
April 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
I've never handled a pump that did not require you to either depress the action release button or drop the hammer. KLRANGEL has it right. If you do not want to press any buttons before loading the chamber just dry fire the gun, then load the magazine. Works the same with any pump I've ever used. The release buttons are in different locations however.

MrNiceGuy
April 17, 2009, 09:19 PM
like they said, any popular pump 12ga should only require the hammer to be dropped.

I always keep my HD mossberg 500 with the hammer down on an empty chamber with no safety on. From there it's just a pump and a trigger pull away.

Slopemeno
April 17, 2009, 11:46 PM
I have my HD 870 ready to go that way- no need to hit the slide release.

Here's how you get there: Clear the gun. Make absolutley certain there is no ammo in the gun, period. Dry fire it in a safe direction. Now load the magazine. Do not rack the slide. It's now ready for use- all the use has to do is rack the slide and it will have a round in the chamber, and the safety will be off.

zippy13
April 18, 2009, 01:11 AM
B A S I C S
If you're unsure of what's going on, let's get over how a pump shotgun operates:
Starting with the trigger pull: The hammer falls, the gun fires and the action is unlocked.
Next, the slide is moved rearward which causes the bolt to disengage and move rearward. The moving bolt causes the spent shell to be removed from the chamber (extraction), throws it out the port (ejection) and resets the hammer (cocking). At this point the slide it a the limit of travel.
As the shooter returns the slide forward, a fresh shell is released from the magazine and elevated in front of the closing bolt.
The forward moving bolt pushes the fresh shell into the chamber, closes, engages the lug, the slide is locked in the forward position, and the gun is ready to fire with the next pull of the trigger.

With a pump shotgun, the shooter may wish to open the locked action when:
1. There's a freshly fired shell in the chamber as is typical in repeat firing.
2. There's a live round in the chamber and the shooter wants to unload.
3. The gun was closed with an empty chamber.
Only in the first situation will the slide operate. In the other two the slide is locked in place. This is where the release comes into play, it unlocks the action and lets it be opened without first having the hammer fall. Without the release, you can't unload a live round from the chamber!

Some say you can open a shotgun, that was put aside unloaded, by pulling the trigger to unlock the action. I caution against this -- safe gun handling practices require a gun with a closed action be treated as loaded. Use the release in this situation. Get to know and love your action release.

Note: To avoid confusion, I've not complicated things by including the function of the disconnector. Most shooters are unaware of the its operation.

hogdogs
April 18, 2009, 01:16 AM
If there was no locking lug (the thing released with the button) you would have a bolt that was not locked upon firing and that would result in instant injury/death to the shooter when it flys back...:eek:;)
Brent