PDA

View Full Version : 870 Express Magnum ejection problems

Wallabing
February 23, 2009, 04:10 PM
It's a used one I picked up for $230 at a quiet little gun store, but when I took it to the range I ran into a problem.

It wont eject shells properly, when I fire a shot and work back the action, the spent shell stovepipes in the breech of the reciever while another shell pops out of the magazine and lodges itself agianst it, completely jamming the whole action up.

When a shell does happen to eject, it seems very weak, it drops from the side of the reciever instead of flying off to the side like I see with most shotguns.

This happens no matter how hard, or how softly I cycle the action, I going to take this 870 to a gunsmith, but could someone shed some light as to why it's doing this?

Scattergun Bob
February 23, 2009, 07:03 PM
More than likely you have a worn "soft" extractor that is loosing its grip on the shell casing before the ejector has a chance to do its job. Use our search engine for a post called upgrades for 870 express that I wrote for all the little details. It is a common issue with well used express 870's and is easily fixable.

The other issue may be a loose rivet on the ejector, not nearly as common and a little harder to fix.

All in all take heart, your baby is only wounded, not dead. The nice 870 doctor down the street can fix her up JUST FINE.:)

Good Luck & Be Safe

strat81
February 23, 2009, 07:24 PM
Scattergun Bob, there are no threads started by you in the shotgun forum here that have a title remotely resembling 870 express upgrades.

Got a link for us? :)

Scattergun Bob
February 23, 2009, 07:37 PM
Read closer Son, I said POST, select the post radial button not the thread radial button, OK:).

Good Luck & Be Safe