PDA

View Full Version : Impressed by old milsurps today

pinetree
February 21, 2009, 02:55 PM
The high dollar guns are cleaned and oiled after hunting season. Figured I hit the gun club and some rifle and pistol practice. Took my Yugo M48A and a CMP Inland M1 Carbine. I have an S&K scout scope on the Yugo. I wasn't sure about it... Anyway I shot 40 rounds of Romanian 70's 8mm and it is difinately SHTF worthy. Easy shooting, quick solid action, a good accurate gun. Still not sure about the scout scope.

I pull out the M1 carbine and run 4 mags through it. Since there is no bolt to manipulate and little recoil it is very easy to stay on target. I was very impressed with the 50yd accuracy with iron sites. It may not be the most powerful round but I have no question in its ability to handle home/farm defense. I imagine the 110g softpoints from GA Arms would be a real fight stopper and in a pinch work well enough on small whitetail.

Overall I am very pleased. I don't need an AR15 as much as I thought I did. I do wish I had bought a DSA STG FAL especially when surplus 308 was handy. Maybe once I've shot the 4000 rounds of 8mm I have I will upgrade.

martin08
February 21, 2009, 08:51 PM
Old milsurp is what I've been into lately, too. Most seem to be of solid and dependible workmanship, besides being a pleasure to shoot. Like the low recoil in your description the M1, many of these milsurps were designed with all day (and maybe all night) shooting in mind. And up until recently, shooting all day wasn't an expensive venture. Thanks for sharing, Pinetree.

A bit of history and nostalgia also comes with a rifle with battle history. My latest is an Albanian SKS. It probably won't get as much plinking time as some of my more common Norincos, but "special occasion" range trips are sure to come.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/albanian_SKS_001.jpg

the rifleer
February 21, 2009, 10:03 PM
yep. i have two "high power" rifles, both are military surplus. i have never had one fail. i have a mosin nagant and a k31. the k31 is a tack driver and the m44 is built to last.

FALPhil
February 22, 2009, 08:15 AM
Don't forget the SMLE family, the Mauser, or the Arisakas. And for a real treat, the Carcanos and the Steyr 95s, which are clip fed. All can be fun and rewarding.

sneaky pete
February 22, 2009, 12:29 PM
old Sneaky Pete here: An interesting question seing that the AR has been in service for over 50 years. However I am a BIG fan of the "Older Classic" mil-surps also and own a SA '42 m-1 Garand(Danish return w/a VAR bbl), a Military New m48 Yugo mauser( I got lucky and bought one when they were 1st released- $156.00 + S&H &broker fee), an m96/38 that was "Bubbed"(ram-line stock, bases, rings and scope, jeweled bolt and a trigger job), My Pride&Joy a Swed Sniper m41/B 1924 with all issued parts(1941-NAZI scope, sling, bayonet and up-graded iron sight-etc), also a mauser C-96 broomhandle, mauser P-38, and a 1911A1 Gov .45 Yah-Yah-Yah I know that the last 3 aren't rifles BUT they are mil-surps and they are a gass to shoot also. I do get to shoot that m41/B Swed sniper at my local club matches about 3>4 times a year with my handloads and it is accurate BUT if i had a more powerful scope then the Jackenrol Ajack 4x90 I'm sure that it would be Sub-MOA for 10 shot groups which is what we shoot. Keep on Shooting THANX--SNEAKY:)

Scott A.
February 22, 2009, 05:15 PM
I have a Norinco SKS that's just plain fun to shoot. Took it out hunting whitetail one year and loved it, even if the guys all gave me funny looks. The rifle is very reliable, easy to clean and fairly accurate. I do need to get it out and shoot some targets with it to see what kind of grouping I can get (what should I expect). I would love to get some more milsurp, but our current political climate has got me a little worried.:confused: Will we still be able to get milsurp in the future? Should I be stocking up on 7.62x39?

chris in va
February 22, 2009, 09:36 PM
Will we still be able to get milsurp in the future? Should I be stocking up on 7.62x39?

People in .gov-land would dearly like to see the AK family disappear. Problem is there's a whole galaxy of them in the US, so it wouldn't take much for our fearless leaders to swipe a pen and ban foreign x39 ammo. IMO of course.

martin08
February 23, 2009, 04:16 PM
I do need to get it out and shoot some targets with it to see what kind of grouping I can get (what should I expect).

If you can get 3-4" groups at 100 yards with your SKS, then you've got a winner.

Vergeltung
February 24, 2009, 09:52 AM
as to the OP, I have shot that Romanian 8mm surplus from the 1970s as well. have not had one misfire or problem. sooty as all heck, but, no worries as long as you clean right after range time.

I have been shooting it in 2 different Mausers I own. good times!! :)