PDA

View Full Version : Rifled choke

johnwilliamson062
February 12, 2009, 09:27 AM
SO I finally got my rifled choke out of that deer gun barrel. No rust, it was just in there really tight. Came out very easily once I had the choke tube tool. I almost threw it away, but I had a thought.

What if I put it in my HD barrel? I would like to get my pattern a little bigger than it is at the in the house ranges. I remember that one of the big problems with the Judge was the rifling threw the pellets out n too wide a pattern.

So should I even bother patterning this with some buckshot?
Keep n mind I probably will no matter what you say, I am really just hoping for some thoughts on this plan. At 10 yards is my pattern going to extend over the 8ish foot backstop at the range, etc.?

Ruger4570
February 12, 2009, 12:15 PM
John: Several years ago my lifelong buddy owned a fairly large machine shop and one of the things they did was to make choke tubes for one of the major brands. He also developed a method of rifling the tubes using a sort of EDM process which made a highly polished surface inside possible.
At any rate, he gave me a of the extended choke tubes to test for accuracy etc. I also did some fooling around with the chokes too.
One of my first observations was that the rifled chokes would not deliver the accuracy of a fully rifled barrel, in fact, most were only marginally better than a simple smothbore.
We were able to recover many fired slugs that though they did have some rifling marks on them, most were washed out from the fact that the slug travelling at 1200 fps+ would run up the barrel and suddenly slam into a restriction of sorts, the rifling. The slug is in the chock for a fraction of a second and being soft lead "might" get spun to some degree but by and large the rifling has litte REAL impact on getting the slug rotating enough to actually stabalize it.
I have shot birdshot through the chokes also and it does in fact spread out the pattern to some degree but it also creates "holes" in the pattern too. Generally you will see "clumps" of shot that correspond to the rifling showing up in your patterns. I haven't tried buckshot, but I "suspect" the same thing would happen.
All this said, you will never know til you try it. It might be interesting.
Good luck.

johnwilliamson062
February 12, 2009, 12:58 PM
My experience with slugs was worse groups than with improved choke.

Ruger4570
February 12, 2009, 06:35 PM
Well it is like I said earlier. Any improvement (if any) was marginal at best.

johnwilliamson062
February 12, 2009, 07:36 PM
I am actually pretty ticked at Remington for offering this product. I paid $179 for this barrel and it is worse than my trap barrel.

MueveloNYC
February 12, 2009, 10:47 PM
What if you used a rifled slug through a regular barrel with only a CL or IC choke (both non rifled). Seems that rifling just the choke is pointless as its barely going to make the projectile spin.