PDA

View Full Version : lead slugs in an Encore .50 BP barrel?

dm1333
January 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
I am thinking of picking up a BP rifle in the near future. My inclination is to get some type of a Hawken repro but a local shop has two T/C Encores for $549 each. One is stainless with a scope, the other is blued and walnut with iron sights. Both are used and the blued one looks like it has never been fired.

Can you fire lead balls or bullets through these guns? If so I can still get the fun of a cloud of smoke and sending a big hunk of lead downrange and also have the utility of buying other centerfire barrels if I decide to pick up one of these rifles. The rifle would be used mainly for shooting paper along with pigs, deer and possibly turkey.

jaguarxk120
January 14, 2009, 06:18 PM
Check with T/C and find out the twist rate for each, that will determine weather you can use slug's or round balls.

dm1333
January 14, 2009, 06:38 PM
I understand what you said about the twist rate, my question is whether or not there is any reason why I can't shoot balls or lead slugs through the barrel. It might seem stupid but I have never seen anybody shoot anything but a saboted round through one of these modern BP guns.

jaguarxk120
January 14, 2009, 06:56 PM
Can't see why you can't, the patched round ball and lubed slugs worked 100 years ago. Now you have a modern gun with much better steel in the barrel. Should work fine.

CraigC
January 14, 2009, 10:09 PM
I understand what you said about the twist rate, my question is whether or not there is any reason why I can't shoot balls or lead slugs through the barrel.

That was the point, the twist rate will determine which you can use, roundball or conicals. I'm betting it's a fairly fast twist that will preclude any accurate shooting with patched roundball.

arcticap
January 15, 2009, 02:10 PM
While there can be exceptions, patched round balls usually require much lower powder charges to shoot accurately from a fast twist barrel.
Although a bare round ball can also be fitted within the proper size sabot and fired that way which may help accuracy too.

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

Some guns will shoot concial bullets better than others, and there are so many to try including custom made.
There's so many different styles and other variables, sometimes sizing them helps to get them to shoot better.

jaguarxk120
January 15, 2009, 02:52 PM
The Encore rifles have a 1-28 inch twist rate and are not good for round balls. But I can't see why you have any problem using the T/C maxi balls. They were designed for the T/C rifles by T/C. ;)

hillbille
January 15, 2009, 03:21 PM
yes accuracy will be affected, but not much, I have shot RB out of mynew knight at 50yds there is a couple inches drift, you may not be able to split holes but you should be able to plink tin cans if that is what you are looking to do. I used the RBs to get on paper when I mounted the new scope was within inch and half when I went to power belts things tightened up to few inches at 100yds this is offhand leaned against a tree. at 100 RBs would group 6-8 inches. your gun may shoot better or worse, only one way to find out................... have fun.;)

dm1333
January 15, 2009, 03:41 PM
What do you think of $550 for either a used but nice stainless model with
a 4X scope, or the same price for a used but looks like it was never fired walnut and blue Encore?

I'm still debating the Encore vs. a Hawken replica against my need for a safe. Since my CC balance is $0 I COULD put the safe on my card and pay it off once my household good have been shipped to my new duty station.

hillbille
January 15, 2009, 04:12 PM
dm personally you could buy two if not three mid to low end muzzleloaders for $550, used you could get even more. look around if you are just wanting to get into black powder buy an inexpensive sidelock and go have fun, if you like it you can move up a notch later they must be paying better in the military these days, I could never come up with $500 when I was in. look around there is no need to be in a hurry most states will sell muzzleloaders over the counter no paperwork needed, also remember there will be another $50-75 dollars in extras, powder, measure, some type bullets, quick starter, and some type patch and cleaner. good luck and thanks for your service.

thallub
January 15, 2009, 04:48 PM
My Encore shoots conical lead bullets pretty well. It makes 2.5" groups with the 370 grain Maxi-Ball. It shoots about the same with the Hornady 350 grain FPB bullet: This bullet is lead with a copper coating.

The FPB bullet has a flared skirt. Put the FPB bullet in the Encore QLA and make sure it is straight. Then give the short starter a good whack with the palm of your hand to start it into the rifling.

Good luck with your muzzleloader experience.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=770