PDA

View Full Version : Should I Scope an M96?

The Lovemaster
January 12, 2009, 11:54 AM
So I have this sweet M96, but the guy I bought it from refinished the stock. The gun is beautiful, but the collector value is shot due to the stock.

Should I have the receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts? I'm a scope guy, and this gun would be sweet out to 1000 yards.

jsmaye
January 12, 2009, 12:03 PM
My opinion is that it's your rifle, do as you please. The fact that the rifle has been altered just eases the conscience a bit.

sliverflinger
January 14, 2009, 01:33 AM
It is your rifle, but d&t ing it will decrease the value. This just my two cents worth, but I'd look for one that has already been done. They are generally cheaper.Then you'll have one that goes up in value, and one to play with.I hunted for months to find one that had been "sporterized" (bubba took a saw to the stock and barrel both). Got it for about half what a stock rifle would cost .A stock swede is great to shoot, but if you want a scope thats the way I'd go. Just my opinion.:o

The Lovemaster
January 14, 2009, 11:35 AM
That's a good suggestion, thanks dude.

aerod1
January 14, 2009, 12:15 PM
I agree with sliverflinger. If it were mine, I would not drill and tap it.
I bought a m94 that had already been bubbaized with the drill and tap job. It came with the rings already mounted. I gave $125.00 for it and then put a Tasco 3x9x40 scope on it. It is one of my favorite rifles and it always holds POA even after bouncing around in the rack of my ATV. I have taken the last 4 deer with this gun while my Winchester model 70's and Remington 700's sit in the safe.
In my opinion the 6.5x55 Swede cartridge is the finest deer cartridge there is.
The m94 is short and easy to handle while hunting.

DoctorXring
January 14, 2009, 12:26 PM

If it's a gun you plan on keeping and it will increase
it's value to YOU, go ahead and scope it.

I have an RC K98 that I tapped and scoped. I put an
older Weaver scope on it and it still retains a period
look to it. I love shooting it and don't plan on ever
selling it. I also put a Boyd trigger in it. Pillar bedded
and floated barrel. BTW, I've been offered a large
packet of folding money twice for this rifle at the range.
So I can't totally buy off on that always decreasing
the value. It just depends. Each rifle is an individual.

I agree however, that doing such behaviors toward a
truly collectible rifle is foolish.

best, dxr

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/doctorxring/K98-Sniper.jpg

10 Spot Terminator
January 16, 2009, 06:27 PM
I have one currently under construction and cant wait to have it completed. I have the bolt out having the handle turned down ( not bent ) so as to make it look as if it were from a later model 42B . By doing this I can stay with the lower scope mounts and actually be able to address the scope with my cheek planted firmly on the stock. I have an early Weaver scope that will look right at home on the 96 and allow me to actually see what I am shooting at . I can print 1 1/4 inch groups as it is having to shoot at big 6 inch target dots with iron sights and hope to cut that in half or better with a scope .

Tadpole Starr
January 24, 2009, 11:29 AM
It is a real shooter, but I am sorry that I had it altered. It even has the proper bayonett. I would not ruin the value of it as a shooter, unless one cannot be found. It is not one to use in the woods, due to the length, so it must be used on the range. Just a thought. Tad

Hawg
January 24, 2009, 12:06 PM
It's not just a matter of drilling and tapping. You're going to have to have work done on the bolt handle or replace it. Replacing looks a lot better and you're going to have to change out the safety too.