PDA

View Full Version : IAC Pumpgun questions....

MYSTERT85
January 9, 2009, 06:07 PM
i was trolling around the internet when i came across this : http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-40341.html

i looks cool and its cheap so i was thinking about adding it to my collection....does anyone know anything about this pump gun? i do know that its a china import so that has me a little :(...can anyone help me out?

Scattergun Bob
January 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
We just received a 372 as a Internet transfer, I inspected the gun, the fit and finish is questionable. If I were in yours shoes I would hold off and see what the reliability and customer service is like before I would spend my $$$$$.

MAX100
January 10, 2009, 01:20 AM
It has been a couple of years since I have seen any Norinco 372, Ithaca 37 copies. They stopped importing them a while back. They are nice shotguns for the money. I use to sale them, and owned one so I have seen many. The fit & finish of the ones I saw was very good. They are heavy shotguns made of all steel and built like a tank as far as shotguns go.

I wouldn't mind owning another one if they ever were imported again. They have a nice set of ghost ring sights that would cost as much as the shotgun if you bought similar set after market and had them installed. The heat shield is made of steel and is very good quality. A similar one would cost you about $30. The stock, forend and recoil pad are nice and well made.

Here is a picture I took of one and used in my ads. You can see the fit & finish is very good, just as good as a Mossberg. They are a hell of a deal.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/MAX100/NOR372-1.jpg

GC

MYSTERT85
January 10, 2009, 08:33 AM
i love the way they eject and load out the bottom...i want to get one of these im just worried about the quality of norinco guns

Hawg
January 10, 2009, 09:51 AM
Norincos are hell for tough. Some of the early ones had some problems but the newer ones are fine. Actions may be a little rougher than what you're used to but they smooth up pretty easy.

Scattergun Bob
January 10, 2009, 10:07 AM
I was about to say to myself,"well, maybe I need to re-look at this scattergun." Then I slapped myself, smiled and said "NO". Sorry, you all can keep your China/Korea made shooten sticks, I will stick to American Steel thank you very much

By the way, I don't normally put down other folks guns, BUT I do call them as I see them :barf:.
Good Luck & Be Safe

MYSTERT85
January 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
i understand what your saying with I will stick to American Steel thank you very much but other countries make some of the best guns in the world...like glock...and from what i see when you buy pure american guns you pay way more for just a name or a "MADE IN AMERICA" sticker...My FEG is just as good as a Browning High Power but i payed about $250 less...i dont want to get into a argument about american made or foreign made guns. its kinda like the american or foreign car argument...they all have there good and bad points.

Hawg
January 10, 2009, 11:51 AM
I was about to say to myself,"well, maybe I need to re-look at this scattergun." Then I slapped myself, smiled and said "NO". Sorry, you all can keep your China/Korea made shooten sticks, I will stick to American Steel thank you very much

That's a noble thought buying American but I'll wager you have plenty of other Chinese products in your home. If not for the Chinese and Italians a lot of people wouldn't be able to shoot the older style guns that aren't made anymore. Personally I wish they'd lift the ban against Chinese gun imports cuz those Norincos are really a good deal with better steel than American manufacturers use. When they were readily available a lot of custom gun builders were using Norinco frames to build high end custom 1911's.

Scattergun Bob
January 10, 2009, 01:22 PM
Yep, I have plenty of things made in china, and from the other Dragons. Just not guns or ammo :eek:. Please don't compare the German, Austrian and Italian arms business which is older than our own US business, with the attempt of the Dragons to flood the market place with copies of vintage and proven designed scatterguns, reverse engineered for maximum profit, produced in shops that have limited standards, with a lessor grade of tool steel, by folks who make just enough to not starve.

Sorry, I do not agree with "cheap" in the same sentence as guns, perhaps its OK in the hunting blinds of America, but absolutely not within the niche of fighting scatterguns. And that's all I have to say about that!

MAX100
January 10, 2009, 02:13 PM
It sounds good but a good gun is a good gun no matter where it is made.

Norinco made Hawk 98, 981, 982, Pardner. all 870 style pump shotguns and basically the same shotguns. Have been in the US for 10 years

Norinco made Hawk 37, 371, 372 Ithaca copies Been in the US about 10 years

Made in China TTN SXS 1878 Colt hammer coach - excellent quality

These are quality well made Chinese Manufacture shotgun.

GC

Hawg
January 10, 2009, 03:59 PM
Scattergun, Norinco uses BETTER steel than U.S. Makers.:rolleyes:

rshanneck2002
January 11, 2009, 07:49 PM
i own one of the norinco shotguns., i bought it several yrs ago and it sits in a closet,would i buy another one NO.,the first month i had it the crossbolt safty fell out,all the way out.,very bad machining to boot.,granted it was one of the early ones imported paid $129 for it at a dunhams store and i always liked the mo. 37 and said what the hell at the time,IT AINT NO MO.37., give me my rem 870 anyday or a 30 yr old ithaca mo 37

MYSTERT85
January 11, 2009, 08:46 PM
well its a moot point now...my dealer called me and told me he has a rem 870 for $150...so im going with that

MAX100
January 11, 2009, 09:58 PM
the first month i had it the cross bolt safety fell out,all the way out

Easy fix. It had to be the ball and or spring problem. Also maybe the pin fell out. Did you investigate?

It is designed the same way as the safety on the plastic trigger group of the 870. The 870 safeties are a drop in fit on the 982. The Norinco has a high quality aluminum trigger guard. It is higher quality aluminum than the ones Remington puts on their 700P rifles and 870P shotguns.

The inside of the receiver on some of the early ones was a little rough. I have a early Hawk 98 and it is smooth as butter and has never given a problem through thousands of rounds. It is my favorite pump shotgun.

GC

hogdogs
January 11, 2009, 10:12 PM
As long as I have Mossberg for shotguns, Savage for rifles and ruger for handguns... I reckon I will be as happy as a hawg in slop!
Let 'em ROOT!
Brent

hogdogs
January 11, 2009, 10:18 PM
The steel used in Chinese goods is likely american steel! Look at the recent run on salvage metal. It was sent to china for the majority of tonnage. Alloy steels may vary but they make junk steel too... it is called re-bar:D
Brent

MAX100
January 11, 2009, 10:24 PM
The steel used in Chinese goods is likely american steel! Look at the recent run on salvage metal. It was sent to china for the majority of tonnage. Alloy steels may vary but they make junk steel too... it is called re-bar

I agree it probably is or it is imported from another country. The 982 is made of quality steel and the machining is very good on the these shotguns now. The action is very easy to smooth out if it is a little rough.

I have been told that Norinco doesn't actually make these shotguns. They contacted the work out to another manufacture that setup a special facility in China to manufacture these shotguns. They are big money makers because they are popular in other countries as well: USA, Canada, New Zealand...ect

GC

jon_in_wv
January 11, 2009, 10:56 PM
I've always hear the "Americal Steel/ Shines steel" comments and have found they don't seem to have a lot of merit. Norinco firearms have been for many years quality weapons. The Norinco 1911s had VERY hard steel and were very strong. Chinese SKSs and AKs are very well built. The hard steels they like to use do play hell on the bits and as a result you may find examples of less than stellar machining but the quality of the steel is my last concern.

I have a Norinco 1897 trench gun and I really like it. Its a quirky shotgun but its a fine shooter and put together very nicely. I hear they are popular in Cowboy Action Shooting also.

Scattergun Bob
January 11, 2009, 11:12 PM
Scattergun, Norinco uses BETTER steel than U.S. Makers.

Hawg, please share this data and source with us, until then I consider it suspect.

jon_in_wv
January 12, 2009, 07:21 PM
You can find that info at a lot of sources. In the US we generally use softer steels so save on machining costs. All the fancy cutting bits we use are made in China so they have less to consider in costs that way. The Norinco 1911s were supposedly made from railroad track steel and were very hard steel. I recently bevelled a mag well on a Norinco 1911 and the steel was very tough. It ate up my grinding bits like crazy.

I would prefer those people who keep saying Chinese steel is inferior tell us where they are getting THAT info from. The quality of the steel of the Norinco 1911s, the quality of the Norinco ak47s, and SKSs is established. If your going to say otherwise I would be interested to here where that info is coming from.

Spot77
January 12, 2009, 07:25 PM
My IAC 982 goes bang every time. As others said, the action was a little rough at first.

Good sights on it and quite an easy shooter. Not the prettiest finish though.

MAX100
January 12, 2009, 11:57 PM
The finish on the Norinco 982 is a very good parkerize finish for a $200 shotgun that is sporting nice set of ghost ring sights that would cost almost as much as the shotgun. The finish makes a nice base finish for applying a durable bake on finish; just degrease and you are ready to go. I waited for a few years until the finish on my Norinco 982 start looking worn. Then I refinished it with Dupli-Color 500 degree High Heat low gloss black. It now looks like a new gun and it has a durable non rust finish.

You can't beat these shotguns for what they offer for the money. They are excellent low cost get Down-N-Dirty beater shotguns. They have a tough rugged Military shotgun look to them that I like.

I like the 870 design and the tactical accessories available for it. It's nice to have a very reliable tactical beater that is a close 870 copy and accepts 870 accessories.

GC

bigghoss
January 13, 2009, 01:09 AM
I'm waiting for big 5 to put the 982 on sale, it's the 870 copy

MAX100
January 13, 2009, 02:44 AM
I'm waiting for big 5 to put the 982 on sale, it's the 870 copy

I have been told more will arrive in the US at the end of Feb middle of March. They should go on sale early spring. Big 5 has sales on them I can't compete with.

GC

bigghoss
January 13, 2009, 11:53 AM
big 5 always has stuff on sale. all they do is take the sale tags off one group of move them to another.

Hawg
January 13, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hawg, please share this data and source with us, until then I consider it suspect.

I don't have a specific site you can go to for proof but if you ever visited any of the myriad of 1911 forums you'd already know it. Norinco's are made with 5100 tool steel. Colt's are made with 4140 ordnance steel. Back when they were still being imported many of the best custom 1911 makers preferred Norinco's

jon_in_wv
January 18, 2009, 02:21 AM
There were also other gun shops that wouldn't work on Norincos because they said the harder steel was hard on thier bits. I have never seen one iota of evidence that "Chinese Steel" in their firearms is the least bit inferior to what we use.

Old Guard Dog
January 19, 2009, 04:30 PM
I was in Hong Kong some years ago, before the ChiComs took over, and you could get the best steel, or the worst steel. It all depends what you want to pay. Many times knockoff products from Asia uses cheap to sell on low price.

You gets what you pays for. I hope American manufactures will keep quality up and not try to compete on price. They can't afford to lose their reputation. I'll continue buying here all I can. Note all the BAD products slipping through from China, like baby formula, etc. They can just change brand names tomorrow, and we won't know the difference.

MAX100
January 19, 2009, 07:24 PM
I can tell you from first hand experience that the Norinco 982, M37 and the Pardner pump is made with high quality steel. I have owned my 982 going on 7 years now and it has had thousands of rounds through it and it is still going strong. Just has ordinary wear and the action is smooth as butter. I have never had a shell to stick in the chamber, FTF or FTE. It is a very reliable shotgun.

The Pardner Pump is backed by Remington H&R...ect, Enough said.

GC