PDA

View Full Version : finnish mosin value

SPUSCG
January 6, 2009, 05:45 PM
kind of want a mosin to take advantage of cheap ammo. need to plink with something besides 22 every once in a while. Most of the standard mosins go for around 150 and look beat to death. the finnish mosins are generally much nicer around 225$. this a good price?

simonkenton
January 6, 2009, 06:01 PM
There are 4 or 5 models of Finnish Mosins.
If you are talking about a M39 that is a good price.

Tom2
January 6, 2009, 07:49 PM
If it is a real Finnish Mosin and not a Finnish marked capture Russian, still in Russian configuration, that is good. The Finns have a reputation for good accuracy and I believe they used heavier barrels than Russians. They have shown up for alot more than 250 around here lately, since I don't know if they are importing any more of them. I am happy with my refurbed Russian because it was cheap, I hand picked it from a lot, and it is in perfect condition, or as perfect as a refurbed 1943 will ever be.

DoctorXring
January 6, 2009, 09:26 PM

AimSurplus.com has some refurbed Mosin 91/30 in excellent
condition for $69.95 The bores are not new, as most 91/30's
but definitely serviceable. A very nice M91/30 for $100 is a
"gimme" at this point in time. Gunbroker, AuctionArms, etc.

Best place I know of to get a nice M39 Finnish Mosin is
from Pat Burns at this website. He also usually has a
couple of nice 91/30 for very reasonable prices --

http://www.gunsnammo.com/

A Finnish Mosin is a superior rifle to an M91/30. The only thing
Russian about them is the action. They are also much less common.
Just a few were built in comparison to Russian M91/30 rifles.
Much better barrel, sights, stock, trigger. But M91/30's are fun too. They
are way cheap right now.

Tamara
January 8, 2009, 08:39 AM
I think that in three or four years, any Finn for two bills or less is going to seem like a screaming deal. The supply is drying up fast and collectors went ga-ga over them when they were cheap and now hoard them like baseball cards.

I think when this current generation of rifle collectors is in their retirement years, Finnish Mosins are going to be the next Latin American Mausers.

mfolts
January 30, 2009, 05:19 PM
Two of my favorite rifles. The top one was my christmas present and THE most accurate gun I own, a Finn with a valmet bbl.

Cosmoline
February 6, 2009, 05:03 PM
I've owned and shot just about all the major Finnish models. The best overall IMHO are the late model M91's and M30's. These were made primarily by Tikka off of captured or stockpiled receivers and stocks. The M30's are their version of the 91/30. Typically they'll have a Tikka barrel and a blade front sight, plus various accurizing upgrades such as shimming and trigger improvements. The late model M91's from the 1940's are little different from the WWI era rifles, except they're generally more accurate. Both of these have thinner barrels than other Finns and consequently they carry and balance better. The M39's, M28's and M27's have considerably thicker barrels designed for prolonged shooting from fixed positions, but get to be a real PINA if you have to carry them around. I also prefer the thin stocks of the M91's and M30's.

Anyway you toss it, the sooner you get your Finns the better. Prices at auction on these have been spiking higher and higher as more people figure out that they're different from the Soviet and Russian Mosins.