PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Beretta A390 Mallard

coyote4544
January 2, 2009, 05:37 PM
I saw at a local pawn shop. Is it a good Bird gun? Skeet/Trap? Asking price is $549.00 and it appears to be in very good to excellent condition. Your thoughts on value and overall?

BigJimP
January 2, 2009, 05:46 PM
The 390 is the older version of semi-auto / the newer version is the 391. The 391 did make some improvements in the gas system and reliability of how the action cycles.

The only way you can tell if its a good deal or not is to take it apart and look over the condition of the action / look at general cleanliness and for any wear issues. Avg price on a used 390 is probably around $ 500 / maybe
$600 for the 391.

The 390 is not a bad gun / I still see quite a few of them around at gun clubs for Skeet and Sporting Clays. I'm assuming yours has a 28" barrel / and that's probably a good compromise barrel length for a semi-auto / although personally I prefer a 30".

Ruger4570
January 2, 2009, 06:57 PM
I have had a 390 Silver Mallard for many years. I think I actually prefer it to my 1100 and 11-87. I have NEVER had the slightest glitch with mine in all these years. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I don't care for the 391 stock or forarm.

itchy1
January 20, 2009, 08:44 PM
I've had mine (AL390) for over 6 years and it has been an absolute pleasure to shoot. There is just about no area that you can't cover with this gun. The gas system is money...light cheapo loads are not a problem for this shell gulping pig! It is not as slender as the 391 in the pistol grip and fore stock areas--this works out well for me though. Recoil is minimal. The price seems right as long as its in excellent shape. Now if I could just find one in 20 ga at a reasonable price...:p