PDA

View Full Version : rem. 700 base and scope leveling

T-Ray
December 22, 2008, 05:25 PM
I just got a remington 700 sps varmint, and i wanted to know which way the front leupold rifleman mount was supposed to go- is it supposed to hang over the barrel or do i need to flip it and have it hang over the port of the action? the way the lettering matches up with the rear mount, it looks as if it should be over the barrel slightly. I didn't want to put it over the action, so i asked

and does anyone know if dicks or academy sells scope leveling tools/kits, or if there's a way to level it with just a normal household level (or two), or just any other "homemade" way to level the scope

10-96
December 22, 2008, 09:09 PM
Not sure about your base.

But, I don't use a leveler myself. I just hold the rifle at about arms length where I can see the buttpad screw holes. At this distance, you can see the reticle and eye-ball it to line with the screw holes. This gets it as close as it needs to be. Just put the ring tops on tight enough so you can still move the scope by hand, but not so tight that it will slide around under it's own weight. Also, to prevent scratches and ring marks- an old timer showed me a neat trick: Line the inside of the rings with thin strips of masking tape.

Unclenick
December 23, 2008, 03:53 PM
I don't know that base either, but am suspicious of any overhang in either direction. Be sure it is the correct base.

I'm not sure what you mean by leveler? The second item on this page (http://www.neconos.com/details4.htm) may be what you have in mind? If you put the rifle in a cleaning vice or even if you improvise one by cutting V's into a cardboard box, this will get the gun upright assuming the scope base and screw holes are correctly located at top dead center. Once it is upright you can dangle a weighted string out at a distance you can see to compare the vertical crosshair with. Getting the gun and scope upright makes the string or any other true vertical a usable reference.