PDA

View Full Version : CMP Garand

johnwilliamson062
December 17, 2008, 11:44 AM
Received my CMP Garand today. Haven't opened the box yet as I am at work, but I am pretty excited.

johnwilliamson062
December 17, 2008, 02:02 PM
Gloriously beautiful.

Chipperman
December 17, 2008, 04:58 PM
C'Mon you tease!
Open the box and post photos NOW!

jorjohn11
December 17, 2008, 05:00 PM
This post is useless without pics!!

sunstroke
December 17, 2008, 05:45 PM
AGREED!

timgd
December 17, 2008, 08:01 PM
Congrats. on the new toy. Now the question I placed my first order with CMP in early Nov. (M-1) how long did it take for delivery?

johnwilliamson062
December 17, 2008, 10:37 PM
patience. Maybe tomorrow. I guess I have to put this in my C&R log...

P5 Guy
December 17, 2008, 10:46 PM
You have better self control than I do. If there was a new M1 sitting in a box at my house I would NOT be at work.

jclayto
December 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
I think you will be happy with your CMP garand.. All of these are CMP except for the IHC. I believe by the tag, that the IHC was also purchased from the CMP years ago, but I bought it from an individual.

Here is my CMP collection:
http://people.clemson.edu/~jclayto/garands.JPG

Left to right: IHC Garand, Smith Corona 1903a3, HRA Special, Winchester, HRA Service Grade, Springfield Field Grade

I need to take a better photo of the guns, the HRA special is extremely nice. Congrats on your new purchase! You won't find a finer place to do business than the CMP.

jclayto
December 18, 2008, 02:16 PM
John, I forgot to mention. I believe the offical rule is that you do not need to log the rifle in your C&R book. However, I use my C&R as one of the qualifications for purchase from the CMP, so I log the rifles in my book just to be safe. I would much rather be told "that doesn't need to be logged" than to be asked why I did not log something.

johnwilliamson062
December 18, 2008, 02:30 PM
yeah, that is what I was thinking on C&R

Chipperman
December 18, 2008, 05:19 PM
Any C&R firearms acquired or sold while you have your license need to be logged. It does not matter how they were acquired.

johnwilliamson062
December 18, 2008, 08:23 PM
wll, it is in there so I am good anyways.

johnwilliamson062
December 18, 2008, 09:20 PM
is there a commercial 30.06 load readily available that is safe to shoot through a garand? Dicks or Walmart would carry?
Do I just need to worry about using sub 180 grain bullets?

timgd
December 18, 2008, 10:51 PM
I do have a reason for asking .I will not be available to sign for it for 3 to 4 weeks after Xmas. Vacation time in Fl. Vacation came up after I placed the order.
(OK may be a little impatient.)

jclayto
December 20, 2008, 10:52 AM
As far as I know NO commercial ammo is safe for a garand unless you purchase an adjustable gas plug. The surplus avaialble from the CMP comes out to about 27 cents per round and it shoots great. Even if it were safe, I don't think you could find commercial for that price anyway. Good luck with your gun!

garryc
December 20, 2008, 11:21 AM
Here's a question: What about C+R's I owned prior to the license? What if I want to dispose of a pre license gun with the C+R? Should I keep a separate book with them listed as "From Personal Colletion"?

ro2
December 20, 2008, 10:02 PM
Are you guys saying that commercial ammo is not saf for the garand due to the pressure. What about handloads. I mainly shoot the cmp ammo but have shot my reloads I use for my remington bolt. Should I not shoot these?

FALPhil
December 20, 2008, 11:53 PM
ro2,

A 150 - 155 grain bullet with 49 grains of IMR 4895 and a CCI 34 primer is a near duplicate of military ammo for the Garand. I use Lake City brass and get about 3 - 4 loadings before it is too beat up. OAL is 3.34 inches and velocity from a Garand is around 2700 fps.

bcarver
December 23, 2008, 07:39 AM
The easiest answer is only shoot cmp ammo in a cmp gun.
However, you can find special ammo from hornady that is folmulated just for the garand gas system and you can reload with "Garand" specific recipes.
These recipes must duplicate bullet rate, velocity and most importantly burn rate. If not one shell can bend an operating rod.

Best thing is just shoot cmp surplus ammo until they run out.
Sorry that was meant to say "bullet weight" not "bullet rate".

kraigwy
December 23, 2008, 01:08 PM
Comerical '06 ammo can be used in the garand. The problem is with the bullet weight, heavier bullets hammering the op rod. You keep the loads to 15-180 range you are good to go.

Many years ago, I was a Light Weapons Sgt in a Reserve (NG) Special Forces company. I was taske with putting on a clinic for shooting the A4 Machine Gun, BAR and Garand. We didnt have time to go through the system to obtain 30 Cal ammo but was able to come up with the funds to purchase comerical bullets. We fried the com. ammo in all three guns with out any problems. Later in my Career, as OIC of the AK NG Marksmanship unit, I ran sniper schools using the M1C&Ds, plus, providing qualification for the AK State Malitia (differant from the NG) and Navy Reserve, using the garands. Again no ill effects. When small arms came under the guidence of the Ord Dept, & Springfield Armory, the normal process before a rifle was issued was to fire a test load @ 70,000 PSI, for each gun. Defects for the most part were weeded out.

As for reloads, I rairly shoot anything but 168s and 180 (now the 175) SMKs, using 47 grns of 4895, which closely matches the 30 cal US M72 match.

Keep your loads or com. ammo down to 150-180 grn bullets @ aprox 2700 fps and you'll have no problems with your Garand. I've been shooting my CMP (then DCM) Garand I got in the early 80s since then, with both comerical, Reloads, and M72 Match since then. Only thing I did to it was bed the stock and put on NM Sights.

In Gen Hatcher's HATCHERS NOTEBOOK there is a section on the 'Strength of Military Actions". I recommend you read it, you'd be supprised of the strengt of the actions. One must take into account there is a differance in the methods used in determining the pressures and it leads to confusion.

bcarver
December 25, 2008, 03:28 AM
So what your saying is some commercial ammo in the 150 to 180 bullet range won't bend the operating rod. Or have you tried all of them. Have any of the manufactures changed the powder they use since you tested them?
It doesn't have to do with pressure as much as burn rate.
These guns were made and tested for powders available back in 1950.
Any newer powder or reformulated powder is suspect.
Hornady list 7 powders for 155 grain garand rounds and 14 for 30-06 rounds.
Only two powders are on both list and both are reduced 300 feet per second in the garand load.(Varget is 4.9 grains less in Garand)
So Hornady thinks twelve powders are not right for the garand.
go to walmart open a box of '06 and shake em and tell me what powder is in them.
And price a new operating rod at the next gun show just in case.

And I may be completely wrong.

Budzboy
December 25, 2008, 07:04 AM
"Comerical '06 ammo can be used in the garand. The problem is with the bullet weight, heavier bullets hammering the op rod. You keep the loads to 15-180 range you are good to go."

What you don't know about M1 Garands is a lot.
That's a good way to ruin your day - BIG TIME!
Slow burning powder builds too high pressures at the gas port. You can buy a vented gas plug that will allow you to adjust the pressures for whatever Walmart sells but don't try to shoot that stuff in an original gun.

kraigwy
December 25, 2008, 11:15 AM
I don't recall saying anything about slow burning powder, but mid range power such as IMR 4895 which was the army just happen to use in the M1.

I think if any of you are serious about using the garand or any othe military '06 get a copy of Hatcher's Notebook, MG J. Hatcher and see for yourself.

While your at it, read the section on recoil ref: the Bullet or the powder hammering the op rod.

I got my DCM M1 in 81 or 82, and have shot everything imaginable in it (keeping the bullets @ 180 grn or lower).

Having said that, the 180s I used were the older 180 SMKs, the newer 180s are differant. The older ones are more like todays 175 SMKs.

Yes todays powder might be a bit differant, but they do make powder compairson charts.

One year I was running a sniper school (using M1Cs and Ds) we couldnt get ammo so I purchased 5000 rounds of comerical '06 in 165 grn. We had zerro problems. I've use the same ammo in 1919a4 & a6's. Except linking them was a pain in the butt.

I think before one writes me off as being full of poop, you should do a little research. I think you'll find Gen Hatcher is probably the most authoritive on the matter. Remember to check out the Recoil section of his book.