PDA

View Full Version : Old family 30-30, M-94

jdscholer
December 13, 2008, 07:13 PM
Thought I'd see if anyone could give me a date on our old family rifle.
As the title says, it's a Winchester 94. Barrel is stamped MODEL 94-WINCHESTER-NICLEL STEEL-30 WCF. Serial # on botom of receiver is 10028XX. It has a steel square topped butt-plate. Saddle ring has been removed -with a hacksaw- and a Marble flip up peep sight has been installed on the tang.
This was my grandfathers rifle, and he was killed while carrying it.-shot from behind by a guy who mysteriously did the same thing to someone else years later.:eek: supposedly accidents.:rolleyes:
I believe this all happened in the 30"s. My uncle told me that the barrel may be a replacement, but didn't seem too sure.
Information appreciated. jd

Alaskavett
December 13, 2008, 07:58 PM
Your ser # comes back to late 1927 production. Thats a bummer on your Grandpa:(

Tom2
December 13, 2008, 08:58 PM
Saddle ring removed with a hacksaw? I thought the 94 saddle rings were attached to a stud that screwed into the receiver or something. Might be replaceable. Gunsmith job probably but still feasable, or at least the remnants of the stud could be dressed up a bit. Pre WW2 Winchesters are going up in value but of course yours is an heirloom and I think you will take care of it and pass it on.

jdscholer
December 14, 2008, 12:26 AM
Alaskavett, thanks for the date. That puts it in the right time frame for when all the history happened.
It's interesting, this isn't the first one I've seen with the saddle ring removed. I guess for the guy that didn't use it, it was just one more rattle that ya didn't want.
It has also been "customized" with hand-cut cross hatches on the forestock- about 4 lines per inch; crude but kinda cool looking. Also the receiver has been purposfully scratched lengthwise with several lines on both sides; perhaps for identification??
It would have no real monitary value as a collectable, and is priceless to me.
Thanks for the responce, guys.:) jd

Jim Watson
December 14, 2008, 10:13 AM
This was my grandfathers rifle, and he was killed while carrying it.-shot from behind by a guy who mysteriously did the same thing to someone else years later. supposedly accidents.

The old Herter's handloading manual gave the First Rule of Gun Safety as:
"Never go hunting or shooting with anybody who might see an advantage from you turning up accidentally dead."
Elmer Keith described such an "accident."