PDA

View Full Version : Cartouches and serial numbers

WeedWacker
October 11, 2008, 02:02 AM
What I hope to find out can be summed up in two questions:

1) How can one use serial numbers to track previous locations of firearms?

2) Where can I find a list of cartouche's for different rifles?

I haven't had much luck on google or searches but maybe I typed the wrong things in the query. I have a Mosin-Nagant with what may be a Bulgarian cartouche (triangle and arrow) and what looks like the double circle but that one is so faded it might be a scratch (like seeing Jesus on the truckstop bathroom wall).

Serial number specifically, I have a Yugo AK (might not be C/R but I am dying to find some stuff out about this) that was imported through Duluth Minnesota and has an import serial number less than 25. I'm trying to find out if where it came from and when it came here. Any ideas?

Marion57
October 11, 2008, 09:20 AM
Can help on the Mosin but the ar is out of my realm
http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm

WeedWacker
October 14, 2008, 03:30 AM
I know my MN is a 91/59 (which is all that sight told me) but as for the cartouche on the stock I have heard rumors that it came from bulgaria and I want to confirm that. (Stamped cartouche on the barrel is Tula BTW)

But as far as serial number tracking no one has any ideas?

w_houle
October 14, 2008, 06:25 AM
There is a Romanian proof that looks very similar to the Tula stamp.

Tamara
October 14, 2008, 10:03 AM
No Yugo AKs are C&R that I am aware of.

WeedWacker
October 14, 2008, 02:13 PM
No Yugo AKs are C&R that I am aware of.

I understand that but if I had say an M98 but the cartouche were unrecognizable due to damage to the stock how would I go about finding its origins and approximate time frame of manufacture and issue?