PDA

View Full Version : mosin nagant question

jthorpe
October 5, 2008, 12:33 PM
I was just given an 1891/59 mosin nagant, and the guy gave me a bunch of 303 rounds, will they work with it.

Slopemeno
October 5, 2008, 12:36 PM
NO. The ammo you want for your Mosin in 7.62 x 54R.

jthorpe
October 5, 2008, 12:41 PM
thanks

ISC
October 5, 2008, 01:14 PM
The .303 bullets will work, but not the rounds. They are both .311. I know that won't help unless you are a reloader. With the price of .303 it shouldn't be hard to arrange a swap for 7.62x54r

Harry Bonar
October 5, 2008, 05:56 PM
Sir;
If you would ever want to mount a scope over the bore, Advanced Technologies makes a fine mount and low mount bolt handle for about $45.00.
It works great, I put one on mine!
Harry B.

jthorpe
October 5, 2008, 06:33 PM
thanks for the tip on the scope mount, I've seen that one but was wondering how well it worked. I'm also replacing the stock, found one from boyds that looked really nice. What is a good scope to get without getting expensive.

sc928porsche
October 8, 2008, 09:21 AM
Almost any inexpensive scope will work. Say $80.00 up. Although so many people tell you how much recoil they have, they really arn't that bad at all. The recoil is almost identical to the old 30-40 Krag, and less than the 06. Its the steel buttplate on the danged thing that hurts. So now you can understand that you dont have to have a scope that is designed for high recoil, it just seems that way.

I am not sure whether or not the Boyds has a rubber recoil pad or not. If not, then replace it with one. If you stay with the original stock, just get a slip-on pad (size-small) and your sholder will thank you for it.

Harry Bonar
October 8, 2008, 11:51 AM
Sir;
I was up at Ron Formans shop at Morgan Hardware the other day and he had two quarter inch steel plates which had perfect cratered holes - clear through, with 7.62X54R Brown Bear ammo in a monsin!
I've had some monsin rifles and found them very pleasant rifles to shoot! I had no idea, however, of the power that round had - it's really up with the 308 and even compares with the 30-06!
So I bought a new (perfectly new in box, matching numbers etc) carbine with the bayonet on the side and really love it. It's dated 1947 and my other one in dated 1923. I will leave the carbine stock!
I think they're great rifles.
Harry B.

jthorpe
October 9, 2008, 12:53 PM
I'm looking forward to range day with the mosin, I have already purchased a slip on recoil pad for it, I took one look at the steel plate and immediately saw a 15 dollar co-pay at the doc's office for a shoulder check up.

Harry Bonar
October 9, 2008, 07:26 PM
Sir;
You will not need a recoil pad for this is one of the sweetest shooting military rifles I've ever fired - very sweet!
Actually, while bore clearance may be .308 to .312, the 308 diameter bullet is the proper diameter to use! This is because if you want to get technical about it 7.62 milimeters checks out to be .2999 in english! Of course you have your rifling which may be as deep as .005 to.006 on each side (plust that old red rust pitting in almost all military barrels) giving you either a true .308 or .312! However using flat base bellets many will "bump up" to work O.K.
Loading data is plentifyl and boxer cases can be had.
A 311291 Lyman cast bullet (if your bore is fine) works wonders!
Harry B.

sc928porsche
October 9, 2008, 08:37 PM
Before reloading, I would suggest that you "slug" your barrel. I have seen some of these rifles range from .310 to .315. Most of them are .311 or .312.

It is best to reload jacketed bullets in the same diameter as the barrel. For cast bullets, they seem to work best with .001 over.

For cast bullets you will want them in a hard cast bullet with "hard" lube

jthorpe
October 10, 2008, 05:13 PM
Wow, you guys have gone over my head by a mile, I see that I am going to have to get educated a little more too hang out here!! I'm just a shooter, though trained extensively while proudly serving this awesome country, never got deep into the technicalities, just buy em and shoot em now.