PDA

View Full Version : White Line Rifles

IHUNT4STUFF
September 21, 2008, 06:43 PM
I recently purchased an abandoned storage shed in an auction. Inside I found 2 rifles w/ old (1950's) boxes of ammo. One rifle was an 1944 Enfield 303 and the other rifle is a bolt action 30/06 w/ a scope installed (modern). The rifle had an added rubber recoil pad on it. Once I removed the pad there was another pad on the stock w/ this info stamped in the rubber, "White Line" "Trade Mark" "Pachmaur Gun Works" "Los Angeles 15, California U.S.A." The rifle it's self, has a small eagle stamp w/ the # 588 next to it, this is on the left side of the chamber. On the right side of the chamber is the #15 w/ a symbol above it stamped twice (QC Stamp?). The barrel is only 17 1/2" long and is stamped "30/06". Ther are also numerous stamps on the screws of the trigger and (5) shell storage assembly. There maybe more info under the scope mounts, but I have yet to remove them. Is this a mix of 2 guns or an original? And who is/was White Line? Any help would be appericated and I'll post more details, once I get my tools from work, so I can remove the scope and mounts. Thank you

HKuser
September 21, 2008, 07:21 PM
"White line" is Pachmayr's name for that particular pad. The pad is an aftermarket accessory, Pachmayr is the manufacturer and makes a variety of rubber grips and pads. The "Los Angeles 15" would indicate the pad was manufactured before ZIP codes came along in the early '70's. Give us some pics.

darkgael
September 21, 2008, 08:24 PM
A picture of the 30-06 would be real interesting.
Pete

PetahW
September 22, 2008, 07:32 AM
[The rifle it's self, has a small eagle stamp w/ the # 588 next to it, this is on the left side of the chamber. On the right side of the chamber is the #15 w/ a symbol above it stamped twice (QC Stamp?). The barrel is only 17 1/2" long and is stamped "30/06". Ther are also numerous stamps on the screws of the trigger and (5) shell storage assembly.]

W/O pics, it sounds like you might have a "sporterized" German Mauser 98, rebarreled to .30-06.
Hopefully, it's not the original 8x57 barrel, shortened with a .30-06 chamber - making it chambered for the 8mm-06 wildcat.

The "shell storage assembly" is the internal magazine & spring with it's external floorplate attached to a one-piece trigger guard/magazine housing, that has a front and rear attachment screws attended by a small lock screw each.
The floorplate should slide off, away from the muzzle, while holding the button in it's rear hole depressed with a bullet nose.