PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca Model 51

Perajio
August 23, 2008, 08:08 AM
I've got a Ithaca Model 51 Featherlight that needs some repairs.
Should I spend the money to fix it or just stick it back in the closet?
The slide assembly is cracked and it also needs a new Carrier Release Plunger with a Carrier Release Spring.
I'm looking at $120.00 for replacement parts and who knows how much more to have a gunsmith do the trigger assembly stuff if I can't..........:rolleyes:

Huntergirl
August 25, 2008, 08:37 AM
I've got a Model 51 that is still a shooter. I guess if yours has some sentimental value, and you really enjoyed shooting it, it might be worth it to you to get it back up running. But otherwise, they don't seem to have much collectors value.

oletymer
August 25, 2008, 11:56 AM
The carrier the bolt assy. is attached to on mine cracked several times. I took the last one to a machine shop and had one made from steel plate. It has never cracked again. Mine is the trap model and the first two cracked before 15,000 rounds. The gun now has just over 75,000 rounds through it. Parts though are getting tough to get and I have semi retired the gun.

Perajio
August 26, 2008, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the thoughts on this. I want to keep and shoot it for sentimental reasons. The gun has been kicked around the family and I wound up with it 10 years ago. I've shot trap, hunted rabbit with it and would like to take it out for duck and goose. I know it's not the "ideal" shotgun for those tasks but the gun feels like an old friend when I take it afield. As of late, it just keeps the "dust bunnies" at bay in the closet.......:rolleyes:

Huntergirl
August 31, 2008, 07:42 PM
Yeah, sentimental reasons are very valid IMO, and really enjoying the shotgun with all its history. I have an old Winchester 120 Ranger pump in 20GA that is still my favorite dove gun. I bought it off a sale rack in a pawn shop when I was dead broke for upland game. Its taken a load of dove and grouse, even a few ducks, and my 12 y/o lab grew up with it, in the field every Fall. Still got it. It looks and shoots great!:) I'll probably keep it running.

Perajio
September 6, 2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks for sharing the history behind the Winchester 120 Ranger pump.
It looks like I've gotten the gotten the problem solved with the Ithica.
I discovered that I had the parts in question and was able to use a little J.B. Weld on the slide assembly.:eek: Gonna head out to the range for a few "test" rounds. I know the J.B. Weld trick is a bit trailer parkish, but it was alot cheaper than $115.00 for a new slide assembly. :D

oletymer
September 6, 2008, 10:18 AM
I doubt the JB weld will hold up. As I stated above, take the old one to a machinest and have them make one out of steel plate and your problem will be solved for good.

Perajio
September 7, 2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the advice Oltymer. :)