PDA

View Full Version : Radians Ear Muffs...

Shane Tuttle
August 3, 2008, 06:20 PM
My wife bought the Radians Pro-Amp electronic ear muffs recently from Dick's Sporting Goods for herself.

I have the Peltor Tactical 6S which, for the money, seem to work fine. Not the highest quality, but they do the job.

My question is before we open the package, are these a good run-of-the-mill electronic ear muffs? Or are they not worth even owning. I know these aren't your $300 high end ear protectors or anything. Just wanted to know if anybody has experience with these...

sholling
August 4, 2008, 12:57 AM
I have zero first hand knowledge but the last time somebody posted this question the reviews weren't pretty. That's one reason that I went for Pro Ears. Well that and 26db of reduction for mine.

chris in va
August 5, 2008, 11:59 PM
My Radians worked fine for about a year, then started buzzing.

crucible
August 6, 2008, 10:35 AM
They worked well (sound amplification wise), but:

I found them uncomfortable after a short period of time.
They have seperate on/off volume knobs which are kinda silly and a pain, as well as multiple battery compartments.
Hearing protection is decent maybe in an outdoor range/training, but indoor use required the use of plugs too (for me) to have decent actual actual protection.

Mine sit in a space next to my proverbial "drawer full o holsters" in favor of modern plugs and passive (higher NRR) muffs.

C-

ZEBRARANGER
August 6, 2008, 11:17 AM
I agree with Crucible. I bought a pair about a year ago and the amplication works good, but I use plugs under mine because the NRR could be better.

Shane Tuttle
August 6, 2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks, everybody.

I think I'm going to have her return them. IIRC, there's a good site that specializes ear protection equipment. I'm going to con her into getting a good mid-grade brand...