PDA

View Full Version : $$$ for Ammo out of sight!

Oldjarhead
July 21, 2008, 09:12 AM
Anybody out there know why ammo prices have gone through the roof in the last year? I love to shoot, but the cost of going to the range is starting to hurt my wallet.:confused:

ScaryWoody
July 21, 2008, 10:19 AM
Increasing costs of brass, steel, lead, etc. Plus increased shipping costs, ammo is heavy.

I stock up slowly and have been shooting a lot of .22lr and I am switching to 9mm for my carry weapons.

okiefarmer
July 21, 2008, 10:31 AM
Just a strange observation Scary, but why would you need to change to 9mm for your carry weapon. Perhaps practice using 9mm, but the one or two rounds one might potentially fire if the occasion ever arises using your carry weapon is not gonna affect the pocketbook too much. I cast nearly everything I shoot, and that in itself makes a huge difference, even the projos to reload saved brass is more costly now than the entire round just a year or so ago.

I hope I never need to use my carry weapon either, and perhaps I should only carry what I practice with, I practice with them all, but statistics show that usually, just the "getting it out" can often quell the situation without firing a shot. I certainly hope so, because it seems the "bad guys" are finding some really good attorneys to financially ruin the occasional good samaritan.

NineInchNails
July 22, 2008, 03:43 PM
The demand has gone way up in the past few years. The rape of our Constitution by our own government is enough reason to stock up. With rising demand also comes price gouging.

February of this year I placed an order for .223 from Sportsman’s Guide. They were the cheapest price around. Then I received an email about 1 week later that they are backordered for a couple months. Then I received another email that they were backordered until late October! I canceled that order and went to Cabelas. I imagine now they are probably backordered for at least 1 year :)

Get it when you can ... while you still can.

Lavid2002
July 22, 2008, 04:02 PM
Why I reload

Johnc
July 24, 2008, 09:03 AM
I have switched back to my roots. Or near roots. I learned on an air rifle when I was about as tall as it was long. I graduated to .22 rifles. I built a center fire and handgun collection and now I am building a .22 rifle collection again. I just bought a brick of SK Target ammo for $42.00. I can't do that with any center fire that I own. You can buy a near match grade .22 rifle for under $500.00, put on a $300.00 scope and shoot it all day for under $50.00. I will continue to do this until ammo prices stabilize. If they ever do.