PDA

View Full Version : Ankle holsters -- do you like them?

Yoosta B. Blue
July 8, 2008, 04:10 PM
I've been carrying my Ruger P345 using an IWB holster ever since I got my CHL last year. However, I've lately been thinking of carrying my SP-101 wheel gun in an ankle holster. Before I purchase such a rig, I thought I'd ask for insights from those who either carry or have carried in this manner. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

YBB

Lady Godiva
July 8, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hi Yoosta!

I used to carry my Taurus Ultra Lite .38 Special (2" barrel) as my primary self defense weapon, and it worked very well in an ankle holster.

However, I've gathered this isn't the best way to carry a primary self defense weapon since it's awkward to get to, but it's handy at certain times and good for a backup weapon.

Since I got my Kimber Ultra CDP II .45, I carry IWB or in a belly band.

My ankle holster has a wide velcro strap for your ankle as well as a thin velcro strap the goes around your calf just below the knee. There is another adjustable strap that goes between the two, and it keeps the gun nice and snug when it's adjusted properly.

The holster itself is also adjustable with velcro and has a thumb break to keep the gun in place. It wasn't too expensive - I picked it up at a gun show and I'm guessing $20-$25.

The only other thing I'd be concerned about aside from the issue of trying to get to your weapon from an ankle holster is the weight of your gun, but maybe that's not an issue for you. I tried wearing my Kimber in an ankle holster, and after awhile it felt like I was dragging a brick around - my leg and back let me know they didn't appreciate it.

Hope that helps! I'm sure there are lots of other more knowledgeable folks who will have input as well. :)

Erik
July 8, 2008, 07:37 PM
For me, ankle holsters don't offer acceptable accessibilty to consider carrying a primary in; for a secondary, they do.

If it comes down to all or nothing, as in carrying there or not at all, then of course I'm voting in the all column.

To answer the as yet un-asked: I prefer Alessi and Renegade ankle holsters. Ones relatively expensive and hard to come by; ones not.

Yoosta B. Blue
July 9, 2008, 08:49 AM
Lady Godiva and Erik, I really appreciate your replies. I'm not sure that ankle carrying is going to be the best choice for me, but I decided to at least pursue it and see what it's like. I can buy a rig online that is pretty inexpensive, and can at least get a taste of it.

Though speed and efficiency can indeed mean everything when it comes to drawing a gun within the confines of a grave situation, I have not been focusing on that aspect of carrying concealed. It has been my thought that simply having a gun available very quickly is far better than having none at all. Thus I've been of the mindset that an ankle holster might be "as good as any."

You good folks have given me some food for thought and I will proceed, better prepared and more knowledgable for having posted here. This place rocks! :D

YBB

bennadatto
July 9, 2008, 12:04 PM
Yoosta,

I use an ankle holster fairly regularly, and with a Glock 19! For me, the ankle holster works great for around the house carry. I also use it when I'm at family functions where I know I'll be hugging anti-gun family members who would discover my piece if IWB. It also seems to offer better accessability and comfort when driving long distances.

It took a bit of getting used to, particularly with the size of the G19, but with a pair of boot cut jeans, it offers great concealment and I barely notice it anymore. Also, with a little practice, my draw isn't much slower than if I were pulling from the waist, and it could be argued that by kneeling to draw the gun, I am automatically presenting a smaller target.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I wouldn't / don't use an ankle holster for "normal use;" only the situations outlined in the main text.

T- Bone
July 9, 2008, 03:01 PM
Yoosa,

I carry ankle everyday, as backup now, but for 20 years as primary carry. There are people who will say it's the absolute worst carry position and maybe it is, but it is better than nothing. I worked in a body shop in Texas and when it's 105 degrees in the summer, any kind of cover garmet is out. On the ankle is also very comfortable while doing manual labor. I think someone mentioned the garter thing that goes up onto the calf. I found that to be the most uncomfortable thing about ankle carry. Some holsters have it and some don't, the ones I bought that did, I took the scissors to it and got rid of it. On me I found it didn't help to hold anything up, and usually slid down to the holster anyway. After carrying this way so long, I kinda feel naked if I don't have it on nowadays. I still feel it's better to have something on your ankle, rather than nothing at all. Also, in close to 30 years nobody has ever spotted it while I was wearing it.
T- Bone

TDrift
July 9, 2008, 03:13 PM
I carry SW J-frame in my ankle holster for backup while I am on duty. Primary for off duty during summer. Invest on your ankle and it will serve you well.
Mine is Alessi and it is very comfortable.

FM12
July 10, 2008, 12:37 AM
One of the big factors is picking a quality holster, and then dont try to carry either too large or too heavy a weapon. If things arent pretty much perfect you'll shelve the holster and be unhappy with the rig. I carry a charter arms undercover in a OLD Bianchi ankle rig. It has LAMBSWOOL for the contact material with your leg. VERY comfortable.

Somestimes I wear the rig as a primary if off-duty (full time LEO), or a back-up.

Choose wisely and be comfortable.

Playboypenguin
July 10, 2008, 12:40 AM
Nope, they are uncomfortable, prone to coming unsecure, hard to access, and hard to conceal properly unless you are wearing bell bottoms...and last time I checked it was not 1975. :D

GATMOG
July 10, 2008, 01:25 AM
They're great if you're gonna be driving around all day, but not for day to day carry...

If I'm gonna be in a car all day I'll ankle carry but if not, its gonna be in a satchel or my pocket..

GATMOG

grey sky
July 10, 2008, 02:23 AM
Carried a gerber guarian knife in its ankle holster for a while, I kept bumping into things and geting it caught on objects I would be steping over. It didnt work out for me never tried it with a gun just felt it would be too heavy. And the bumping into things didn't seem to be a good idea, I don't wear wrist watches for the same reason I broke a few finding out I am just not ment to have anything attached to my ankles or wrists. Others like them just personal preference, carrying is a very personal kind of thing find out what woks for you. I don't know too many that don't have extra holsters that just didn't quite work.

Phlip
July 10, 2008, 04:15 PM
They are very easy to draw from while in a car. Thay are not so great at other times.

Captain Bligh
July 12, 2008, 08:05 AM
I've probably spotted more ankle carry ccws than any other form, often while sitting in a resturant. I think they probably conceal pretty well when one is standing or walking. You have to be really careful when sitting about how your pant leg rides up and what it may reveal.

I wonder if ankle carry folks buy trousers longer than normal to accomodate for this?

T- Bone
July 16, 2008, 02:53 PM
I wonder if ankle carry folks buy trousers longer than normal to accomodate for this?

Yes
T-Bone

Spenser
July 16, 2008, 03:08 PM
I love my Galco Cop Ankle Holster. I've used it for over a year now, and have none of the problems that PBP talked about. I've even used it while doing a fairly active outdoor job which required a lot of walking, wearing jeans and ankle-length hiking boots. No problems at all.

You do have to watch them riding up if you're wearing shorter-length trousers, but other than that, a high-quality ankle holster isn't going to fall off or slip loose if you wear it right.

I've tried a couple of off-brand jobs, but Galco's rig has been the best I've seen.

There's times in this state, and the clothing that I'm forced to wear, when nothing else will really do to pack my choice of weapons.

Obviously not a quick-draw rig....;)

Spur0701
July 25, 2008, 03:30 PM
I've been carrying daily almost 20 years, for almost the last 10 with a G27 in an ankle holster on one ankle and and 2 15 round extra mags in another. It's so comfortable I forget it's on and don't routinly download when I get home until I change clothes. Having said that, one of the things that makes it so comfortable is the fact I almost always wear some sort of hiking or tactical boot......the top of that boot takes a lot of the weight......if I'm in a suit in low quarter shoes then I'll move to the hip.

cash2006
August 6, 2008, 03:07 PM
I asked a salesmen at Sportsman's warehouse what he thought of ankle holsters.

He said he would kick my teeth out whilst I bent to draw my weapon.:D

alistaire
August 6, 2008, 03:17 PM
I asked a salesmen at Sportsman's warehouse what he thought of ankle holsters.

He said he would kick my teeth out whilst I bent to draw my weapon.

And his estate would pay for your new teeth...

Spur0701
August 11, 2008, 10:44 AM
Look at it this way. The best gun to have in a gun fight is the gun you have. If there is any descretion in CCW it takes a lot of discipline to carry all the time, especially during hot weather. Murphy's Law being what it is the day you decide not to carry because it's too hot, or you think the threat is low, or for whatever reason you come up with to rationalize not putting 2 lbs of metal on your hip or under your arm or wherever.....that's the day you'll need it......so if you're more likely to carry a 5 shot .38 revolver in an ankle holster instead of a Glock 23 on your hip....then do it.

ISP2605
August 11, 2008, 08:55 PM
I started carrying a S&W 49 in an ankle rig in 1975 and until I retired in 2006 I carried either the 49 or a 649 everyday as my backup and sometimes off duty. I carried it everyday, all day. Now that I'm retired I still carry in an ankle rig at times. Ran with it, climbed thru windows, chased the BG, crawled thru ditches and creeks, climbed fences, kicked doors, and all the other stuff to get the BG including it wearing it everyday when on SWAT for 10 yrs. After a couple of weeks wearing an ankle rig it gets so you don't notice it. The only time you notice it is when it's not there. It never caused me a bit of problems.

Yoosta B. Blue
August 23, 2008, 04:23 AM
Many thanks for all the replies. I plan to get an ankle holster and give it a go.

Yoosta B. Blue

reaper715
August 23, 2008, 05:33 AM
I carry my Glock 27 in a Desantis ankle holster everytime I put my uniform on. Been wearing it for 4 years now and fell akward if I do not have it on.

littlmak
August 23, 2008, 11:56 PM
Question, do you carry on the inside or outside of the ankle?

reaper715
August 24, 2008, 05:18 AM
On the inside of my left leg. Anytime I am wearing my Danners it is down there.

Lady Godiva
August 26, 2008, 03:53 PM
I'm right handed and carry on the inside of my left leg.

ISC
August 26, 2008, 03:59 PM
they're OK once you get used to it as long as you don't have to run with it, but they get in the way while running.

Sonora Rebel
August 26, 2008, 06:03 PM
'Carried a S&W Mod 36 in one... inner left ankle when I was a cop. I'd use one for back-up only... not primary position. I OC daily... altho I have a CCW. No place to hide that 1911-A1 'n still get at it.