PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with firearms - case recommended by outfitter

GM-GUY
June 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm going Caribou hunting in September and just got my info package from the outfitter (I booked back in Jan/Feb) with all the flight info, dates, forms,..etc....

They state 'Aluminum, Heavy Metal, or Wood Gun Cases are NOT AUTHORIZED'. I bought an Americase double rifle case that weighs 22 lbs, no more than 35 with the rifle, binos, and other delicate stuff I'll put inside. That leaves me 40lbs for my duffle to get in under the 75 lbs maximum combined weight limit.

They show a pic of a $20 plastic case as what they want you to use, I have $2k invested in a rifle and scope, NO WAY is that happening.

Anyone else seen this? Would you put your rifle in such a case and let it go thru 2 aircraft on the way up and then on the way back 2 aircraft.

Sidetracked
June 30, 2008, 03:37 PM
If they won't allow the stated cases, but you still want some serious protection... Order a Pelican case (http://www.casesbypelican.com/pelican_1750.htm).

They aren't cheap or light (15-28 lbs empty, depending on model), but the only one that ever failed us... Was recovered from a crashed helicopter, and the contents were still undamaged.

There are other brands that would work equally well. It's just that I have a great respect for the Pelican brand, after seeing them take all kinds of negligent abuse in some of the worst environments.

Or... If your rifle is equipped with tip-off/turn-off scope rings; you could ship the rifle in a cheaper case, and throw the scope in your carry-on.
You'll spend another 15-30 minutes dealing with security, but it is perfectly legal. (Speaking from two of my own experiences.) Just don't call it a 'Rifle Scope'. Call it a 'spotting scope', or 'monocular'. Although still legal, the word 'rifle' earns you a longer detention in security.

bufordtjustice
June 30, 2008, 04:00 PM
+1 on pelican. Heavy but worth the weight...especially when hauling expensive rifles or preventing a ruined hunting trip.

taylorce1
July 3, 2008, 06:17 PM
I bought a used SKB 4 gun case and stripped all the foam out of it. I packed my rifle in a silicone sock and put it in a cheap Allen soft case. I then packed a lot of my clothes and other gear around it. I didn't have 2K invested in my rifle, but I paid enough to have a quality hunting rifle and scope that I wanted it protected. Everything rode just fine to Alaska and back for me on my bear hunt.

A lot of guys use a Tuff Pack, which is an unpadded plastic case and pack clothes and rain gear around their rifle. I wouldn't be afraid to pack a 2K rifle like that and worry about it being damaged. Besides if your expensive rifle doesn't come back from your hunt without some new character marks from your hunt, you didn't have to work very hard to get your bou's.

trooper3385
July 7, 2008, 01:35 AM
+2 on the Pelican case. There better than most of the aluminum cases around. There a little more expensive than most, but you can just about guarantee your gun will not be damaged in it. I had my gun and my brother-in-laws gun in one when we went to S. Africa last year. I was looking out the window at the airport in Atlanta watching the people load the baggage onto the plane when I noticed them pick up my gun case and carry it over the the escalator. One of the guys holds the gun case up and yells at another guy pointing at the case. He then proceeded to throw the case about 6 feet onto the escalator. The case hit so hard, I could see it bounce. If I could have found a way to get down there, that guy definetly would have had some serious problems. Forget about making a complaint to the airlines as well. Anyway, point being, neither one of the guns were damaged and both were still hitting dead on. Highly recommend the Pelican Case.

Logs
July 7, 2008, 08:08 AM
+1 on Pelican. I have flown with my case six times with NO issues. I wish mine had rollers though.

ZeroJunk
July 7, 2008, 08:28 AM
I had the airline break two arrows inside a plastic bow case. Can you imagine how hard that would be to do?

You might consider shipping a cheap case to the outfitter ahead of time and switch when you get there.

ArmySon
July 8, 2008, 08:24 AM
+4 on Pelican. I've flown with Pelican cases and expensive rifles. Case guns banged around but rifles stay mint :)

Rembrandt
July 8, 2008, 06:26 PM
Who cares what the outfitter recommends....he has nothing to loose if your investment gets damaged. I doubt the outfitter is willing to carry liability coverage for your gun.