PDA

View Full Version : Barrel steel question.....?

bswiv
June 27, 2008, 05:51 AM
What is the difference between the steel Winchester uses for it's rifled shotgun barrels and the steel Mossberg uses?

Winchester 4140

Mossberg 1140

Jim Watson
June 27, 2008, 07:07 AM
4140 is chrome molybdenium alloy steel, one of the most common "ordnance steels" in guns of current manufacture.

1140 is carbon steel with some manganese. Cheaper.

bswiv
June 27, 2008, 03:06 PM
So it's less expensive to make.

How about it's use as barrel steel?

Is Mossberg cutting a big corner by using it or a small one?

Does it affect how long they last or how fast they rust or how strong they are?

I know enough about metal to know I'm ignorant so enlighten me some if you can.

Jim Watson
June 27, 2008, 04:38 PM
I would say they are cutting a small corner. They want to save a few cents per barrel but not open themselves up to lawsuits over kaBooms.

There are a lot of older shotgun barrels out there of no better steel, it is hard to wear out a shotgun barrel.

bswiv
June 27, 2008, 04:47 PM
I ask becasue I just sent a check to Badger Barrels for two 20 ga rifled blanks. They will be sent to a smith in Iowa who is going to fit them to a existing SXS action. The gun will be regulated for the Hornady sabots.

I never would have known to ask had Badger not noted that they make barrels out of two kinds of steel for the two different makers, Winchester and Mossberg.

My concern is whether it will be as safe to turn down the 1140 steel as far as the 4140 steel. If all goes as planned the donor action will be a light 16ga and the new barrel contours will match the old 16 ga.

If the steels are comparably strong then no worrys.

Harry Bonar
June 27, 2008, 05:39 PM
Sir;
Sir, as has been stated, 4140 is a chrome molebdenum steel with 40 points of carbon and 1140 is according to Ackley, " free cutting screw stock" - yet it also has 40 points of carbon si it will "heat-treat."
I would be very cautious about "turning down" the blanks you will have too much.
Depending on the heat-treat administered both steels are adequately suited for shotguns, but I wouldn't go lighter than industry standard.
Mossber, to my knowledge has never had barrel problems; most problems are caused by handloading practices!
It is my personal opinion that 1140 of sufficient thickness and heat treat is the better steel for shotgun barrels although 4140 is a stronger steel - if heat-treated wrongly it might be more likely to shatter.
Harry B.

T. O'Heir
June 28, 2008, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the steel used in anything Mossberg makes.

mikenbarb
June 28, 2008, 10:32 AM
BSWIV, Badger is a great barrel! I have a custom one on my 1100 and it shoots incredible with Hornady SST's. The Badger barrels like only high speed Sabots and Hornady is the best I have found so far.

bswiv
June 28, 2008, 10:41 AM
Appreciate the responces.

I'll post pictures when the project is far enough along to look like anything.