PDA

View Full Version : Savage (110, 114, etc.) vs. Remington Model 7

BluegrassDan
June 1, 2008, 10:38 PM
I'm on the search for another deer rifle. I have heard many good reviews about the Savages and their great accuracy. I am really liking the looks and features of the 114 Classic in .270 Winchester - walnut, cheek piece, accutrigger. Seems like a great gun.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

There is a used Remington Model 7 in 7mm SAUM at my local gun shop in really good shape. It is stainless steel, synthetic, pretty short, light, and handy for the TN mountains and woods. The price would be a little cheaper with some room for negotiation.

So I'm torn between having (probably) better accuracy and cheaper ammo with the .270 Savage, or having a slightly lighter, shorter, handier rifle for the woods (for less money), yet more expensive ammo with the 7mm SAUM Remington Model 7.

What do you guys think I should do? All suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Keep in mind - I'm REALLY a nut about accuracy!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

BluegrassDan
June 2, 2008, 05:57 AM
Any takers on this one?

Lawyer Daggit
June 2, 2008, 06:56 AM
Do you figure the RSAUM is going to last. FI not you need to factor 2000 rounds into your purchase- I did when I bought a 350 REM Mag -and it then made a comeback!

Clearly some short mags are not likely to survive and one wonders if it will be Wichester or Rem ones that fall away by the roadside-some will loose models of each.

I used to have a 7mm-08 in a Model 70- if you are looking at giving you 6.5 Rem Mag type ballistics but in a 7mm- say just under rmm rem mag it could be a nice mountain rifle.

I would certainly take the Remington over the Savage- I had a 7mm-08 one I reluctanty sold and now have an early model in .222 and a 7 MS .350. Only thing I would avoid is the CDL finish- I do not think it suits the gun.

dogngun
June 2, 2008, 08:32 AM
And one for the other side: I love Savage rifles, and compared the Model 7 to a Savage 110 side by side a few years ago. The Savage to me, anyway, is a much better rifle, and I'd take the .270 any day.

Handle them both, see what feels better to you.

Then buy the Savage.

mark

Kreyzhorse
June 2, 2008, 09:59 AM
Savages are outstanding accurate rifles albiet slightly ugly. I don't think you'll gain much by getting a slightly lighter and shorter Rememington.

Clearly some short mags are not likely to survive and one wonders if it will be Wichester or Rem ones that fall away....

Additionally, I would be concerned about the ability to find ammo consistantly for this round. I'd go Savage and pay a little more up front.

Selfdfenz
June 2, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm sure the 7mm SAUM would be a considerable deer stopper but for me personally it would just be a show stopper on the buy. Love my Model 7 in 7-08 however.

Best of luck with you final choice.

S-

BluegrassDan
June 2, 2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

HOGGHEAD
June 3, 2008, 01:41 AM
Perfect condition used Remington for less than a Savage. That is a no brainer in my book. REMINGTON. Tom.

Lawyer Daggit
June 3, 2008, 04:42 AM
I have never owned a Savage, although friends have.

I have noticed that after buying the rifle they have had to spend quite a bit of money working the trigger and having the gun bedded. (Note none I know have experience with an Accutrigger model).

I have owned a number of Remington's - a 700, 3 model 7's and a 7600 pump. All work well out of the box and are accurate as well- although I would have to admit they cost more than Savages.

However, notwithstanding my preference for Remington's I think my next purchase shall be a Scout rifle. But only if Savage start producing a 10 round magazine for it.