PDA

View Full Version : How to clean your bronze and nylon brushes?

Jack Reevez
May 29, 2008, 11:43 PM
Hi . I just want to know how to protect and clean the phosphor bronze brushes, and the nylon and tynnex brushes after using them. I use solvents like Hpppes No. 9, hoppes benchrest No. 9, clenzoil, the blue wonder and break free clp. All i do after using them to clean the barrels is put the brushes under hot running water for about 30 seconds, give am a couple of jerks, and then let put them someplace dry to let them dry off, and then just put em in a box.

Is that right? Or should i be doing something else?

Thanks in advance guys.

Martyn4802
May 30, 2008, 05:23 AM
I use the same cleaning solvent used with the brushes to clean barrels for cleaning up the brushes. After use, I squirt the solvent down through the brush till all of the crud is washed out of the brush bristles, then dry the brush with a cotton flannel cloth.

Martyn

parrothead2581
May 30, 2008, 10:20 AM
Rubbing alcohol works just fine.

hkg3
May 31, 2008, 11:00 AM
+1 for rubbing alcohol.

wild willy
May 31, 2008, 03:27 PM
I use brake cleaner

wogpotter
May 31, 2008, 03:40 PM
GunScrubber, Brake cleaner, or a commercial cleaning/degreasing product called "ID Red".

One thing I would NOT do is clean with any ammonia based cleaner as it will attack the bristles just like it attacks metal fouling in the bore.

skeeter1
June 1, 2008, 01:05 AM
I've never personally tried it (my bore brushes are all dirty), but how about tossing them in the silverware tray in the dishwasher? Sound to me like it *ought* to work. I just ran a very greasy, burned-on food grill pan through mine tonight, and it came out clean as a whistle.

Like I said, I've never tried this with bore brushes (and I have some that are 60 years old), so you're on your own. Besides, they only cost a couple of bucks, so you might want to try it.

Whisper 300
June 1, 2008, 07:26 AM
I am seriously hoping that Skeeters idea for using the dishwasher is a joke.
If not, please don't ever invite me over to eat off of his dishes or silverware.
I can only imagine what toxic brew is on the brushes- I sure as hell do not want it coating the insides of my dishwasher.
Bad enough that I expose myself to lead, cadmium and whatever organic solvents I already do, I see no need to extend it to my dinner table.

Gary

wncchester
June 9, 2008, 09:31 AM
I clean my brushes by swishing them in oderless mineral spirtits, a paint thinner. A small pickle jar with a screw-top lid keeps the mineral spirits safely stored and it's always near at hand in my shop.

Running brushes through a dish washer is okay but over kill. The common bacteria in spoiled foods are much more of a potential hazard to our health than any possible tiny traces of "toxic brew." Oils are the base of our gun cleaning products and dish washer detergents attack oils pretty vigerously. The final hot water rinse will flush any residual traces away.

Whisper, I doubt that Jack had any plans to invite you over for dinner.

Wleoff
June 9, 2008, 11:05 AM
Brake cleaner works great and is cheap. Even some of the brake cleaner is green- environmentally friendly.

kymarkh
June 9, 2008, 12:01 PM
I usually just wipe them off with a rag or paper towels.

Rich Miranda
June 9, 2008, 01:28 PM
I use GunScrubber (which is IMO just expensive brake cleaner) and spray the brushes clean before storing them.

Lavid2002
June 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Water-causes rust, no good
Hoppes, or other cleaner-May include copper solvents and wear down your brush.