PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on weak hand flash lights? (Surefire)

Playboypenguin
May 22, 2008, 02:23 PM
I am thinking about getting my brother-n-law one of the Surefire lights to use as a weak hand light. I am not sure which one to get yet but leaning towards the model pictured below. I like the simple design and aluminum body.

I would be also getting him the high intensity bulb (120 lumens) to add to it.

Does anyone have one of their lights? What do you think of them?

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/6PD-BK_large.jpg

Incognito
May 22, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hey Playboy- when you say weak-hand, this leads me to believe you're intending to use it in conjunction with a handgun. Surefire is by far one of the most respected "illumination device" manufacturers in the world. They back their products with lifetime warranties. I myself carry the pictured model (with DNA extractor ;)) and use it every night; never had a problem. The only thing with these is that when the batteries get low, there is no discernable indication that they are doing so. You'll go to turn on the light and it won't work (keeping spare batteries recommended). That being said, Surefire actually has good prices on their batteries at their website.

Along those lines, I believe in "two is one, and one is none". I don't know what type of weapon you're using. If it's equiped with an accessory rail, get a weapon mounted light. I recommend this one:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j191/vaux01/streamlight.jpg

They can be found for under $100 and you get 120 Lumens of intense white light while not having to sacrifice your weak hand :)

Playboypenguin
May 22, 2008, 03:47 PM
That being said, I believe in "two is one, and one is none". I don't know what type of weapon you're using. If it's equiped with an accessory, get a weapon mounted light. I recommend this one:
Cool, thanks for the review...but as for the last part, he and I both despise rail mounted lights. :)

Incognito
May 22, 2008, 04:06 PM
What? Gun lights are NEAT!
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa66/I_Need_Ammo/BlackHairedSchoolGirl.jpg

Erik
May 22, 2008, 08:29 PM
Surefire sets the industry standard. I have or have had several of their hand held models over the years: E2E, 6P, G2, and Z2. Additionally, I've had access to several of their other models through friends and collegues.

Depending on your needs, you could do much worse than deciding on the 6P defender you posted, or the G2 LED if you aren't as concerned about its use as a contact weapon. The regular 6P and G2 modelsis offer excellent bang for the buck.

Note: Hammer fisting someone's grape with a flashlight doesn't require it to has cranellations to be effective; or for it to be aluminum, for that matter.

Boris Bush
May 22, 2008, 09:37 PM
PBP

That is the setup I use at work. The 120 lumen lamp will hurt, yes pain will be felt in the eyes, when flashed into them when it is totaly dark out.

When I used it on people they were hurt, blinded and not able to fight back and if they did they just shot wildly (obviously missing ;) )

It sits next to my safe now as I type this in hopes I will never need to use it over here.......

fisherman66
May 22, 2008, 10:20 PM
You might find it useful to look into Fenix lights. They are well regarded by flashlightaholics and offer great value for the money.

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_65

rantingredneck
May 22, 2008, 10:33 PM
PBP,

I have that exact light (6PD). It is an excellent choice. I also have the E2D, several G2's and two Streamlight TLR-1's (also an excellent choice in weapon mounted lights).

If you decide to go the surefire route for your brother in law, take a look at the Cree LED 290 lumen upgrades currently for sale from wolfammoman on this forum. They are MUCH brighter than the standard P60 bulb assembly and increase runtime to somewhere between 5 and 8 hours as opposed to the 60? minutes of the standard P60 bulb. The P90 upgrade decreases this runtime further.

My bedside gun at night is a Ruger P345 with a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted. The 6PD rests on the shelf beside the gun with that LED upgrade in it. If I can't hit the badguy he's at least gonna be blind as a bat! :D.

rantingredneck
May 22, 2008, 10:36 PM
Note: Hammer fisting someone's grape with a flashlight doesn't require it to has cranellations to be effective; or for it to be aluminum, for that matter.

/\ very true ;)

Playboypenguin
May 22, 2008, 10:36 PM
Those look very interesting. The only thing they seem to lack is that I cannot see where they can be used a "blinders" with an instant on button. Can they be used that way? Some say they are turned on and off by twisting the front like a standard light.

rantingredneck
May 22, 2008, 10:38 PM
Link to the LED upgrade thread:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291907

fisherman66
May 22, 2008, 10:52 PM
Some have a click tailcap for your clickie blindie thingie

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=477

Swampghost
May 22, 2008, 11:01 PM
Not sure what you mean by a "weak" light. So far everybody else has gone to tactical lights.

As a 'weak' light, MagLite products makes a few really nice kits with different colored lenses. I carry a very small one that takes a single AA battery in my pocket at all times. I have another that takes 2 AAA batteries and with the red lens can get you around in the woods without waking everybody up and destroying your night vision.

Another one is the Hubble Lite Toolbox. It comes with the red lens, spare bulb and what they call a 'light bender' that makes a really good bore light.

Axion
May 22, 2008, 11:32 PM
You might find it useful to look into Fenix lights. They are well regarded by flashlightaholics and offer great value for the money.

I second this. I just got a Fenix L2D and am extreamly impressed with it. A max of 175 Lumens for 2.4 hours off of 2 AA batteries.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=362

Playboypenguin
May 23, 2008, 02:41 AM
Geez, now I am torn between the Surefire I mentioned in the OP or this one from Fenix.

Anyone have experience with this one? Can it be used as an instant on blinder?

https://www.fenix-store.com/images/p3d1.jpg

Axion
May 23, 2008, 04:31 AM
With the Fenix lights there is a normal mode and a turbo mode. In normal mode it starts out on low then you soft touch your way from low-med-high-etc. Then if you turn the bezel fully clockwise you get turbo mode. In turbo mode you'll start out at the highest setting possible then go to strobe. So from that perspective, yes it can be used as an instant on blinder. I don't have the P3D so I can't comment on it's brightness, except to mention that it puts out more Lumens (215 for the Premium Q5 model) then the Surefire P6 or the L2D I have (175 lumens). Since the 175 on my light is pretty blinding I think the P3D would be as well.

Boris Bush
May 23, 2008, 10:55 AM
With the Fenix lights there is a normal mode and a turbo mode. In normal mode it starts out on low then you soft touch your way from low-med-high-etc. Then if you turn the bezel fully clockwise you get turbo mode. In turbo mode you'll start out at the highest setting possible then go to strobe. So from that perspective, yes it can be used as an instant on blinder. I don't have the P3D so I can't comment on it's brightness, except to mention that it puts out more Lumens (215 for the Premium Q5 model) then the Surefire P6 or the L2D I have (175 lumens). Since the 175 on my light is pretty blinding I think the P3D would be as well.

While all that stuff might be fun to play with sittin' watchin TV or blinding the neighbors cat :eek: When the ball drops and the elephant charges will you have it on brightest constant easy to use mode? With that question, can it be left idle, pickedup and instant on constant or flash on mode with the press of a button? If so I might get one at them brightness levels, but for now the 120 my light gets is plenty fine.........

parrothead2581
May 23, 2008, 12:27 PM
I prefer the Fenix L1T. Instant on or constant on, and it uses a single AA battery. In the long run it is significantly cheaper than the 123A batteries, especially if he plans on using it for anything more than a bedside flashlight.

As well, there are some excellent rechargeable AA batteries out these days,

fisherman66
May 23, 2008, 02:54 PM
While all that stuff might be fun to play with sittin' watchin TV or blinding the neighbors cat When the ball drops and the elephant charges will you have it on brightest constant easy to use mode? With that question, can it be left idle, pickedup and instant on constant or flash on mode with the press of a button? If so I might get one at them brightness levels, but for now the 120 my light gets is plenty fine.........

From Fenix:
Operation
Depress the tailcap button to turn the light on and turn the bezel to select the mode. A fully-tightened bezel will select Turbo Mode, and a loosened bezel will select General Mode. Soft-pressing the tailcap button while the light is on will change the output level of the selected mode. Turn the light off for over two seconds and the regulative circuit will be reset.

Playboypenguin
May 23, 2008, 03:08 PM
I ended up ordering two of the P3D Premiums. These little babies put out 215 lumens. That should blind the hell out of someone. I like the semi-press function on the Surefires, but the strobe effect and other features on the Fenix really won me over. :)

parrothead2581
May 23, 2008, 09:04 PM
A little late now, but here is JohnKSa's review of one of his Fenix lights. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274275&highlight=fenix

Let us know what you think of it! Fenix is one of those companies that actually listens to their customers, so, if you see room for improvement, let them know. :)

These little babies put out 215 lumens. That should blind the hell out of someone.

Then this one should set their corneas ablaze! https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=87&products_id=412

Axion
May 23, 2008, 09:11 PM
Playboy, the Fenix store sells tactical "forward clicky" style buttons for the Fenix lights separately for $9. I just ordered one for my L2D if you're interested I'll let you know how it works out.

And to reiterate. If you leave the bezel turned fully clockwise the light will always go straight to the brightest "turbo" mode. For the P3D premium that is 215 lumens, for the L2D premium it is 175 lumens, and for the TK10 it is 225 lumens.

Playboypenguin
May 23, 2008, 09:28 PM
Does that replacement switch make it to where you do not have to click the switch to flash it on? Will it light up with just pressure and go off when you release it?

If so, I am going to order two of them tomorrow. I hope they are easy to install.

Swampghost
May 23, 2008, 10:08 PM
In the end game, there is still nothing more important than keeping your night vision intact. The reflection from your 'bright light' will cause your pupils to contract and reduce your vision for several minutes.

In the woods I may blip a red filter on and off if it's execptionally dark or I hear a Rattlesnake.

For home defense. It's mine and I know my way around, I'd prefer the BG in the dark and not knowing where he is.

ImDisaster
May 23, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hard to beat value of the Leatherman Monarch 500 for $30 dollars at Costco.
Stainless steel body with rear momentary switch.
120 lumens from a CRE LED running on 3 AAA's.

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=12937.msg157635

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=182032

parrothead2581
May 24, 2008, 07:17 AM
PBP,

The Fenix website doesn't mention the tactical tailcap changing anything.

I'm guessing soft pressing will still change the output, so if you flash someone once, the next time you do it, it will be with the next setting. So, you can just 215 lumen and disco strobe them into submission. :)

sylathnie
May 24, 2008, 10:55 PM
I have a few fenix flashlights and I love all of them. The P3D is definitely not a tactical flashlight. I carry one every day and it's a perfect EDC flash light. The tactical flashlight you are looking for is the TK10. I just recently purchased one and I am very very impressed. I has an excellent beam patter and really lights up a room.

I would also suggest and LOD-CE. It's just a fun little tiny light. There's nothing like turning on a flashlight the size of a AAA battery and having it pump out 75 lumens.

Playboypenguin
May 24, 2008, 11:10 PM
The P3D is definitely not a tactical flashlight. I carry one every day and it's a perfect EDC flash light. The tactical flashlight you are looking for is the TK10. I just recently purchased one and I am very very impressed.
Geez, thanks a lot. Now I just ordered two of those two. I will give that to my brother-n-law and use the P3D's a father's day gifts. :)

sylathnie
May 24, 2008, 11:35 PM
Don't give it away just yet... I wouldn't go anywhere without my P3D. It's still an excellent flashlight and it could be tactical in a pinch. I can carry it through security without a problem. The crenelations on my TK10 might get a second look.

parrothead2581
May 25, 2008, 07:27 AM
The TK10 looks like a step in the right direction for Fenix. The attachment of the TK10 via allen head screws is an improvement over the T1. However, I do wish they stuck with the orange peel reflector from the T1.

I do wish they would update the description for it though; it certainly does not have a throw of 200 meters

Axion
May 26, 2008, 03:45 AM
The TK10 is definitely the tactical light in the Fenix line up and I will purchase one soon. In the meantime however leaving a P3D or L2D on turbo mode makes it a pretty decent tactical light as well.

To answer another question. Yes the tactical switch does allow for momentary on and yes if you push it twice within a second or two you will cycle through the modes.

However,

With the bezel in the turbo setting there are only two modes to cycle through, constant on and strobe both of which being full brightness. Furthermore if you wait approximately 1.5 seconds between button pushes the system resets and you will get constant on each time. In the rare case where you push the button twice in quick succession you can either use the strobe mode, which is still useful, or just quickly push the button once again to get constant on again.

In summation, the TK10 is clearly the best tactical light, but the option for lower level modes really extend the battery life and make the more EDC oriented lights like the P3D very attractive. The fact that they can also be used as tactical lights in a pinch is icing on the cake.

Axion
May 26, 2008, 03:48 AM
However, I do wish they stuck with the orange peel reflector from the T1

According to the description and picture here (https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_70&products_id=438)
it does. Maybe they updated it.

parrothead2581
May 26, 2008, 07:38 AM
According to the description and picture here (https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=438)
it does. Maybe they updated it.

Maybe you're right. I had been told it was different, but that could have been wrong!

sylathnie
May 26, 2008, 09:27 AM
I just purchased my TK10 last week and it does have a light orange peel finish.

parrothead2581
May 26, 2008, 09:37 AM
I just purchased my TK10 last week and it does have a light orange peel finish.

Excellent. Thank you sylathnie!

fisherman66
May 26, 2008, 12:04 PM
The most impressive torch they have IMO is the LOD Q4. The things about the size of a Maglight Solitaire are pumps out 75 lumens. That's just incredible for such a tiny thing. Great run time too for a fully regulated AAA light.

Axion
May 28, 2008, 05:46 PM
Hey Playboy you get your lights yet? How do you like them?

Playboypenguin
May 28, 2008, 05:48 PM
I got the two P3D's and I must say that they are awesome. They exceeded all of my expectations.

They have no momentary on function but they click on very easily and they are as bright as heck. I blinded myself twice last night just from the reflection of the beam from my patio door. The rear switch only needs the lightest touch to switch to strobe mode too. More touch sensitive than it is an actual click.

I liked them so much I ordered another one of the P3D's (so I can have one in each vehicle) when I ordered the two TK10's. :)

fisherman66
May 29, 2008, 08:32 PM
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_40&products_id=348

They have both black and orange tac switches for $9.

With 10440 lithium cells the L0D Q4 should get around 120 lumens in one of the smallest AAA lights around. That's a pocket rocket.

Super Trucker
May 29, 2008, 09:22 PM
I have and carry a surefire e2e daily, I would have no problem to recommend surefire to anybody.

bikerbill
June 6, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hey, PBP, before you get the 6p take a look at the 9p ... it's a three-cell design, just a cell's length longer but with added power ... mine is my nightstand light and it is amazing ... when we had a power outage a while back my wife grabbed our huge old 3-cell Mag-Lite and the 9p threw about twice the light ... amazing ... to add to the mix, picked up a 2-cell G2 yest for $36 for a trip we're planning later this summer ... tons of light, strong and cheaper than their metal models .. and it takes the more powerful bulb ...

bikerbill
June 6, 2008, 09:46 AM
never mind

Revelation76
June 6, 2008, 05:13 PM
My favorite setup without going completely insane, budget wise.

The Surefire G3 Nitrolon is 105 Lumens for 60min- 59.00

With a 27.00 additional lens (P91) - 200 Lumens for 20min.

Spare lens carrier that also holds 6 batteries, and is waterproof (nice) 17.00

TOTAL 103.00 Free shipping Surefire.com

It's 1 1/2 inches longer than the G2 because it uses three batteries instead of two. I've found that ordering right from the Surefire website is best, as long as you order everything at once. Free shipping if it's over 100.00 and usually only 5.00 (for me) on anything under 100.00.

It's a high quality plastic (Nitrolon) that knocks the price down 20.00 from the metal 9P model, and won't show the signs of age as much as the metal since there's no black paint to wear off. It's also 1 ounce lighter, and won't feel cold when using it in the wintertime. Not really an issue where I live though. :)

I love mine and have wasted so many batteries just playing with it! :D
Good deal on batteries from Surefire.com also....
Now I want the Surefire 8NX Commander- It's rechargeable.... :)

fitfighter81
June 24, 2008, 04:25 AM
I carry the Surefire E2 Defender off duty, great little light, The dual striking pomel is a nice feature in a CQ situation. For me the standard bulb is more than enough.

Jermtheory
June 24, 2008, 01:07 PM
since when is the TLR-1 120 lumens?last i heard they were only 80(up from 60).:confused:

i personally love the SF-G2L and G3L for hand helds.i have the lock-out tailcap on my G3L...use it all of the time.

mounted lights(excellent to have imo btw)...

SF-X300,i have a couple and another on the way,very pleased with them.

i trust SF,even if i do pay a little more for the name.

Incognito
June 24, 2008, 08:18 PM
Yep, your right, my bad :o

mounted lights(excellent to have imo btw)...
trust SF,even if i do pay a little more for the name.
Absolutely

Jermtheory
June 24, 2008, 10:19 PM
:D dont hear that often.

it is a good light...just doesnt give me the warm fuzzies like the SF @110.:cool: