PDA

View Full Version : Storing MGs with FFL?

Beretta686
April 5, 2008, 09:54 PM
I just got a set of orders taking me to Ft. Knox :barf: for a 20-week "clank clank, I'm a tank" Career Course. I'm going to be leaving my safe of toys at my parent's ranch and get the guns covered by insurance in case Bubba gets lucky.

However, since I can only imagine the nightmare if my MAC-10 got jacked or even worse jacked and than used in a crime, I'd like to secure the weapon somewhere better.

Some local gunshops allow you to leave a gun with them, but if I leave an MG do I have to Form 5 it to them?

Or could I leave it with them in a locked guncase, which should qualify as innaccessible storage?

Alternatively could I just leave it with the dealer who transfered it to me (although he is a home-based FFL which I'd rather not have it sit at)?

David Hineline
April 6, 2008, 12:13 AM
Don't know the size but banks have safe deposit boxes that cost about $50 a year if your gun will fit. A gun can not be form 5ed for storage or any reason but repair. It can be left locked anywhere. Can't you just check it into the Ft. Knox base security like any personal firearm?

David Hineline
April 6, 2008, 12:14 AM
I now see ity's a MAC which is an easy fit in a safe deposit box in bank

Beretta686
April 6, 2008, 08:58 AM
Can't you just check it into the Ft. Knox base security like any personal firearm

I'm still checking on that and seeing if I can leave it in an arms room or something.

However I spoke to the Provost Marshalls office and they said you can only register weapons on post if your assigned there rather than TDY like I'll be. :(

douglasschuckert
April 19, 2008, 08:52 AM
No you do not have to Form 5 it. You do not even have to do anything at all with it. You can leave it with your folks with the rest of your guns and safe (the best thing to do.. as long as your parents do not have immediate access to the safe's contents you dont have to do anything at all)... OR you can send it ANY SOT out there that is willing to give up valuable safe space with just a photocopy and signed copy of your F4. If anyone asks its there for "gunsmith work".

IF YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE IT WITH YOU IN KY..

1. Make sure its legal in KY
2. Fill out a Form 5320.20 (use the Provost Marshells address as the 'traveling to' address).
3. Once that is approved, take it to a local bank and rent a safety deposit box. Carry the unloaded weapon in a bag and store it in the SDB.

THE BANK CAN NOT ASK YOU WHAT YOU ARE STORING. THEY CAN NOT ACCESS OUR BOX WITHOUT YOUR KEY OR CALLING A LOCKSMITH... THE ATF CONSIDERS THIS SAFE AND RECCOMENDS PEOPLE DOING JUST THIS. ITS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE EITHER..

James K
April 19, 2008, 12:03 PM
If you are a member of a NG or Army reserve unit, can you arrange for storage in your unit arms room?

Actually, as others have said, there is no need to do anything special. Just leave it at home with your other guns. You are not going to be transferring ownership of the gun, just leaving it home, same as if you were going out to dinner. Needless to say, a gun safe is a good idea, but there is no legal requirement (in federal law) for you to have one, or even to lock the gun up.

Jim