PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870 - trap barrel on 7 round tube?

radshop
March 21, 2008, 10:02 AM
My life has been empty and meaningless for some time because I didn't have a Remington 870 - so I made an impulse buy a couple days ago for the 870 Express Security 8 Shot with synthetic stock & 18" bbl. I'm happy with the purchase, but thinking now about how to get the configurations I want. I'm in the 10-day wait, so I don't have the gun home yet.
The plan is to keep it in the out-of-box config for HD, but pick up extra barrels that I can swap for hunting (with mag tube plug - slug bbl, maybe a 24" all-around for rabbits, birds, etc. in brush) & trap (28" vented rib). I've seen those barrels used at very reasonable prices, so I'm not worried abut that. What I'm wondering, though, is whether those barrels will fit on the 7-shot mag tube, or should I have gotten a model with the common 4-shot mag tube? If not, how hard is it to swap the mag tube?
As I said it was in impulse buy, and the extra capacity for HD was appealing. But given that there's a near-zero chance I'll ever need to use a gun for HD, and that if I do 4 shots is more than enough, maybe I should have thought this through more clearly.
Hopefully, the barrels will fit no problem on this tube, then I'm all smiles again.
Thanks

Edward429451
March 21, 2008, 10:43 AM
The barrels will fit fine irregardless of the magtube used.

radshop
March 21, 2008, 11:44 AM
:) :) :) :)

Thanks.

rantingredneck
March 21, 2008, 11:50 AM
All 870's use the same 4 shot mag tube, but then there is the extension that screws on above the barrel ring. Replacing the extension with a standard magazine cap and replacing the extended spring with a standard length will solve your ills. Or you can leave the extension on with the longer barrel :D.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 24, 2008, 12:49 PM
Your Express is a 7-shot----BTW.

radshop
March 29, 2008, 01:52 AM
Not to argue, but it's an 8 shot.
7 in the mag and 1 in the chamber; 7+1=8

It was clearly advertised as Remington 870 Express Security 8 Shot.

rugerfreak
March 29, 2008, 03:58 AM
Remington doesn't even make an 8-shot Express.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic_7-round_specs.asp

If its a special model for your retailer---it will also have a 20in barrel---otherwise the mag tube will be sticking way out in front of the barrel.

Half-Price Assassin
March 29, 2008, 08:40 PM
thank you Rugerfreak! i have a remington 870 express synthetic, and i also thought when they say 7-shot they ment seven in the mag. the first night i got it i was trying to shove 7 rounds in it. But after reading your post and going to the link you left did i see that the magazine is only 6 rounds. i am handgun assult rifle guy, that thinks when a gun or long arm, is a called a 7 shot or 30 round thats what is in the magazine. But for shotguns i guess its something totally different. man, 6 round mazazine is nothing, i want GLOCK to make a shotgun, and give a 15 round magazine. :D

thanks again for educated us noob shotgunners, i almost took my shotgun apart, in hopes of making it fit 7 rounds

rantingredneck
March 29, 2008, 08:48 PM
6 round mazazine is nothing, i want GLOCK to make a shotgun, and give a 15 round magazine

Apparently you want a Saiga :D.

olddrum1
April 4, 2008, 01:25 AM
When buying barrels for an 870 one needs to know that all barrels are not created equally. If you get one of the barrels marked for trap you need to get the choke tubes that go with it. In the trap barrels a full choke is really an extra full choke for a normal gun. This may sound somewhat screwey but I have owned Remington 870 TCs and this is the case. You have the regular barrels and then you have the TC trap barrels which are of a tighter configureation. Found out the hard way.