PDA

View Full Version : A public apology to Massad Ayoob.

TexasSeaRay
March 8, 2008, 01:06 PM
A few days ago, I partook in a discussion involving the issue of handloads/reloads and their legal defensibility in the event that they should ever have to be used in an actual self-defense shooting.

Another poster mentioned Mas Ayoob's testimony and views in regards to this issue. I stated that "I had no use for (Mr.) Ayoob's views because of some BS he pulled on a sister agency during a trial."

Mr. Ayoob PM'd me and inquired as to the nature of the event. I will not disclose the event--Mr. Ayoob can if he so desires, but I would suspect that can of worms is best left in the history pile.

After a polite and professional discussion, Mr. Ayoob disclosed his nature of involvement in this case. His version of events parallels to a "T" the recollections of a longtime friend, going all the way to basic training, who I talked with this morning and who is still an FBI agent today.

I very much regret allowing myself to believe the innuendo and gossip that is often times all too prevelant in the law enforcement community rather than seeking the facts, as every person who has ever pinned on a badge and sworn the oath was trained to do.

This case and Mr. Ayoob's involvement in it was the only issue I had brief with regarding Mas Ayoob. I have always respected his dedication to the shooter, the training and safety and preparedness of our law enforcement community, and his professionalism in dealing with criticism.

And while I had disagreement with Mr. Ayoob because of my erroneous perception, it did not stop me from recommending his readings and seminars to those who I felt would benefit from partaking in them.

Mr. Ayoob, I am appreciative and grateful for you taking the time to visit with me on this issue--which, as you know better than anyone, goes back almost thirty years. I have long since left the business, but this is a nice thorn that I can now remove from my backside. I sincerely apologize for offering an opinion not based in firsthand knowledge, but rather in squadroom bitch sessions. Your professional, polite and patient explanation of your involvement has earned my respect. I wish you all the best, and thank you for all you've done for our community.

With best regards,

Jeff

Mas Ayoob
March 8, 2008, 02:14 PM
Apology respectfully accepted, Jeff.

You're a man.

Best,
Mas

FM12
March 8, 2008, 10:53 PM
I've learned a great deal from Mas Ayoob's books, articles and videos over the years.

Glad the record is set straight.:D

orionengnr
March 8, 2008, 11:33 PM
From what I've seen of Mr Ayoob's participation on this and other forums, he is an upright and honorable man, prone to forthright discussion without any need for urination contests or chest-pounding...

Just another reason I really enjoy TFL and THR.

akr
March 9, 2008, 12:03 AM
I am a fan of Massad Ayoob. When he talks, I pay attention.

FM12
March 9, 2008, 12:06 AM
TexasSeaRay is no slouch when it comes to advice either. He's not a WWW/forum Ninja, He's been there and done that, way more than most of us.

This is a great place to learn. Thanks to all of you who have helped me.:D

FM12

Diamondback
March 9, 2008, 12:40 AM
It's my experience that the only sure way to help prevent the next error in judgment is to rectify the last with an apology. Well done, TexasSeaRay, well done !

- regards

Freakdaddy
March 9, 2008, 06:21 AM
Jeff,

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong and an even bigger man to do it publicly. Well done.

Kenpo
March 9, 2008, 10:59 AM
Well done, both of you. A fine example to all of a sincere apology, and a gracious acceptance.

Charles S
March 9, 2008, 12:41 PM
It's my experience that the only sure way to help prevent the next error in judgment is to rectify the last with an apology. Well done, TexasSeaRay, well done !

Agreed.

fastbolt
March 9, 2008, 12:51 PM
When men resolve a perceived difference in the manner of gentlemen it serves as an example to us all, and makes the world just that much better of a place in which to live ...

jwxspoon
March 9, 2008, 03:35 PM
Well said and handled.

jw

James K
March 9, 2008, 06:39 PM
I wish all those who have attacked Mr. Ayoob were so willing to admit error.

On several occasions, I have quoted Mr. Ayoob, or expressed agreement with his views, and have been flamed for daring to even mention his name. Doesn't bother me, but I have always wondered how he likes getting blasted by some of those id..., sorry, people of lesser experience.

Jim

Scattergun Bob
March 9, 2008, 07:33 PM
Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your post. I have over the years read most of what Mas had written. I sure don't need to defend him, what is important is that you are correct about LE and gossip. Mas is what he is, a dedicated trainer and a scholar in the self defence business. Many question that he is a reserve or that he hasn't taken a life. My response is always the same, "well, Ed McGivern never killed anyone, but would you like to shoot against him!" To the uninformed this usually goes over their heads.

I judge all classes, training and trainers by one standard, "will what I am learning help me win the next fight."

I will personally prove that what I am learning works for me.

I understand that no one but myself will be there to extract my butt from a situation where what I learned does not work.

And finally, IF IT SEEMS STUPID, BUT IT WORKS, IT ISN'T STUPID USE IT!

akr
March 9, 2008, 09:19 PM
Jim Keenan---

I believe those that disagree with Mr. Ayoob in a rude way are probably a little bit jealous of his knowledge.

strick909
March 9, 2008, 09:34 PM
I love to read a thread like this. As I have recently found myself on the side of a "virtual" beatdown for incorrect information posted about me and my company, it gives me faith in the on-line community when someone can admit a mistake and the other party will happily accept the apology!

I think it is pretty ridiculous to think that we will agree with everything Mas (or any other professional for that matter) says about every issue or situation. I do honestly believe that he has our community's best interests at heart.

Musketeer
March 9, 2008, 10:36 PM
TexasSeaRay, it is a post like yours which makes me realize the caliber of people we have here. It never tastes good to have to eat one's own words, I know I have done so, and volunteering to do so when you know it is right says more about your character than any amount of posts on the proper bullet or firearm.

FrontSight
March 9, 2008, 10:45 PM
Awwww, shucks...I was hoping to see a showdown at High Noon!! :D:D

Just kidding, glad you guys worked it out. Man, no one gets blamed more than me for stuff that I didn't do, and it sucks, but I have just learned to accept it, but I know how bad it sux.

Laserlips
March 10, 2008, 04:12 PM
Well,

That's about as perfect a resolution to a misunderstanding I've ever read... :)

Jesse

Spenser
March 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
That really showed a lot of character. Thanks for being a gentleman. It's great to see little reminders pop up in one's daily life about how we should conduct ourselves. Not just on an internet forum, but life in general.

It's a great example for everyone.

buzz_knox
March 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
That really showed a lot of character. Thanks for being a gentleman. It's great to see little reminders pop up in one's daily life about how we should conduct ourselves. Not just on an internet forum, but life in general.

It's a great example for everyone.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also believes this incident is an example of how the internet allows incredible opportunities for lies to be spread (even unintentionally) but also for the truth to be told.

Most of the character assassinations that have taken the place for debate these days are based on these kind of half-truths or outright lies. Few have such dignified endings.

Laserlips
March 11, 2008, 10:30 AM
Crap..

I like the apology AND the acceptance of that apology so much I think I'll just type those posts out and duct tape them to the top of my monitor..

Seems I spend an inordinate amount of time apologizing and a much lesser time accepting apology's online so it'll make it real easy from here on out..

I'll just look up at the top of the monitor and type out whichever response is appropriate... :D

jesse

akr
March 21, 2008, 10:07 AM
He he he :D

Inspector3711
March 21, 2008, 11:04 AM
Create a word document that you always leave open... Copy and paste I'm Sorry's all over the place!! Yuk yuk yuk:eek:

Johnc
March 21, 2008, 11:18 AM
Posts like this one separate this forum from the others. I prefer to think of this as a gentleman's forum. This was an applaudable exercise in professionalism.

Andy W
March 27, 2008, 11:01 AM
A good exchange between two gentlemen.

IdahoG36
March 28, 2008, 04:16 PM
I've learned a great deal from Mas Ayoob's books, articles and videos over the years.
^^^+1

I have the 5th Edition of Combat Handgunnery and the Gun Digest Book of the Beretta That I have read cover to cover and found very informative.

I also like Mr. Ayoob's writings in Combat Handguns magazine every month. I learn something new every month in regards to self defense and the legal implications that your actions can have. There are quite a few things that have been written about that I hadn't considered when it comes to the subject of self defense. As a concealed carry permit holder, it never hurts to be informed of things that can either make or break your court case if you ever have to use your weapon.

workinwifdakids
March 30, 2008, 08:53 PM
This post will serve to remind me that there are people behind the screen when I post - real people.

Thank you both.

txbirddog
March 30, 2008, 10:10 PM
This post will serve to remind me that there are people behind the screen when I post - real people.

Thank you both.

Sometimes we all forget the there is another real person on another keyboard and with fake monikers and just get carried away. Good to see that gentlemen with character still remain.

saltydog452
March 30, 2008, 11:07 PM
Cool.

Tree top tall...both of you.

salty

bikerbill
April 21, 2008, 05:37 PM
I'm proud to share a state with TexasSeaRay ... a great apology, a gracious acceptance ... I'm a huge Ayoob fan, in both magazines and books, I'm happy to see his login here and to know he's part of the industry/sport I love ...