PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930! Like it so far!!

bigbuck270
January 26, 2008, 06:10 PM
I picked up a Mossy 930 26" from walmart for $429. Today I shot about 150 rounds through it. I cycled Remington game loads, Remington Nitro 27 skeet loads and remington STS loads. These are about as light as they go and they worked great. As a lefty I gotta say I love that top tang safety. Anyone looking for a new semi, take a look at the 930!

Sarge
January 26, 2008, 06:15 PM
That's good news, Buck. I just read a fluff piece on the 930 tack-tickle in Gun World and the author didn't run any field loads at all; no slugs; and he wasn't impressed with the patterns from the 18.5" CYL barrel. He did say that it ran perfect though.

I am looking at the 930 combo at the moment and am glad to see user feedback on any of them. Thanks for posting.

Smitty in CT
January 26, 2008, 11:03 PM
Congrats on the new gun!!! Keep shooting it and keep posting reports...

Did you need to adjust the stock for cast or was neutral OK for you??

cxg231
January 27, 2008, 08:11 PM
Nice. I have owned a 930 for about a year now. Experienced some jamming putting the first 50 target loads through it. From 50 rounds to 400 rounds it operated flawlessly. The bolt was a bit gummed up at 400 rounds (yes, I should have disassembled it and cleaned it sooner). The action was not closing completely, causing some no-fire situations while shooting trap.

But overall, I must say that I am very pleased with this shotgun. Next time I will disassemble and clean after 300 rounds. For the record, I do clean the barrel, receiver, etc..each time I shoot. I will be more diligent with doing full-field stripping of the shotgun in the future.

bigbuck270
January 28, 2008, 08:46 AM
I haven't adjusted anything yet. I just took it out of the box and started shooting. I guess I will have to read how to adjust everything. As far as patterns go I was blasting skeet from all directions and I am not a real good shotgun shooter.

Does anyone know if you can you can buy a magazine extension for the 930?

Smitty in CT
January 28, 2008, 10:17 AM
Does anyone know if you can you can buy a magazine extension for the 930?
Choate Machine makes them, they are available in +2 (7),+3 (8),+4 (9), & +5 (10) extentions, those capacities don't count the round in the chamber...

The Mossberg 930SPX uses a +2 (7 shot extention) from Choate.

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index10&ProductCode=27&ProductSubCodeID=177&NewProduct=0

Desert01
January 28, 2008, 10:28 AM
I have a semi-custom Choate +1 for my breaching set up. It is not on their site, but they will make one if you call it in:
http://desertsystms.com/930BCHRCLS.jpg

play2win
January 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
I've never owned a shotgun, and I'm looking to buy one for some turkey hunting. I'v been looking at the 930 you are talking about. I have also looked at the Franchi 1-12 inertia. Can anyone give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

Smitty in CT
January 28, 2008, 08:40 PM
I've never owned a shotgun, and I'm looking to buy one for some turkey hunting. I'v been looking at the 930 you are talking about. I have also looked at the Franchi 1-12 inertia. Can anyone give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

The Franchi seems to be a nice gun, it is an inertia operated gun so it will kick harder than the 930, most owners opt for an aftermarket recoil pad to tame it down a little (extra $$ for recoil pad). It will also be tempermental if you don't break-in the gun according to the manual (extra $$ for ammo).

The inertia gun doesn't require cleaning as often, not a big deal if you keep your guns reasonably clean to begin with...

If you have the opportunity, try and shoulder the Franchi and the Mossberg 930 at the same time, have a buddy hand them to you with your eyes closed, open your eyes and see which one comes to your eye better. See which one feels better. The 930 comes with spacers to customize the "fit" of the stock if it's off a little.

Then see if you can tell where the $200 - $350 difference is between the two guns, that's about the difference around here...I've tried, I can't find it other than the engraving and the name....

Good Luck and keep us posted....

play2win
January 29, 2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks Smitty... I'm leaning towards the 930, but no one I know has one. I even called Mossberg and ask where the dealers were in my area that had them...NADDA! No one has them in stock. I've handled the Franchi, but not shot it. I'm concerned about buying the 930 sight unseen.

cxg231
January 29, 2008, 07:09 PM
I'm concerned about buying the 930 sight unseen.

I think that a little bit of concern is justified. You really should shoulder the gun to see if it fits you. I tried out my 930 before I bought it and thought that it fit pretty well. I recently bought a 12GA O/U - now *that* really fits me well, and feels great on my shoulder and cheek, though the bruise on my shoulder tells a different story... :p

That being said, people of all shapes and sizes have fired my 930 and none of them found it to be uncomfortable, FWIW.

Again, I would just be a little bit concerned about fit. Don't worry about function - the 930 functions quite well.

Hoosier_Hillbilly
February 2, 2008, 11:22 PM
Well, not to be too much of a pig in a poke...but I am not so sure about having to shoulder the 930 etc. before buying it. While I agree with these suggestions in general terms, as several here have noted the 930 comes with shims etc. to adjust drop (and I gather cast, too, although I am not sure about this). I have a 935 magnum and when I first tried it I thought it was awful. But I bought it anyway (a gun nut, what can I say?) and within a short while was able to adjust it to a near perfect fit. I like the 935 so much I am seriously thinking about a 930 for lighter duty (I shoot left handed, too, and therefore am inclined to like the Mossbergs).

Smitty in CT
February 3, 2008, 10:49 AM
the 930 & 935 use the same stock, so fit should be similar....

ebutler462
February 3, 2008, 03:39 PM
If you will consider a gun with the Franchi I-12's action, check out the Stoeger 2000. It is a lot less expensive and has the same Vursan action as the 2000. It is not a Benelli action. However, the innards are identical to the I-12. In fact, Gun Tests Magazine gave preference to the 2000 over the I-12 because of quality and cycling issues with the Franchi. They rated the I-12 as a "Don't Buy" and the Stoeger 2000 as "Buy it." The only problem they found with the 2000 was the bolt release button took a lot of pressure to close the bolt. Other than that, they gave the 2000 a thumbs up.

SStark
February 20, 2008, 03:46 PM
Kinda late, but i'd like to chime in on the 930 i bought yesterday.
Stock felt a whisker too long so i'll have to adjust that, but so far that's my only complaint. I took the 930 to a local clay range today, my first time shooting clays which was SO MUCH FUN, and hit 9 out 25. I had to use 7's at the range, they didn't like my semi all that much, but let me shoot anyway, so i'm not sure how much that hurt my score, but the 930 worked flawlessly.
No jams, low recoil, nice solid feel, and balanced a touch heavy on the bore end which i found comfortable. As my first shottie, i'm happy.

My first post by the way. Can't wait to bug you people with my million and one questions to come! hahaha:D

cxg231
February 20, 2008, 05:44 PM
Kinda late, but i'd like to chime in on the 930 i bought yesterday.
Stock felt a whisker too long so i'll have to adjust that, but so far that's my only complaint. I took the 930 to a local clay range today, my first time shooting clays which was SO MUCH FUN, and hit 9 out 25. I had to use 7's at the range, they didn't like my semi all that much, but let me shoot anyway, so i'm not sure how much that hurt my score, but the 930 worked flawlessly.
No jams, low recoil, nice solid feel, and balanced a touch heavy on the bore end which i found comfortable. As my first shottie, i'm happy.

Don't worry if the "people at the club" don't like your inexpensive semi. They are probably just jealous that your 930 functions as well as more expensive semis. :D

I assume you were shooting skeet?

For skeet, maybe try a #8 or #9 shot size. To be sure, the #7 1/2 shot works too, but at close range like skeet the smaller shot seems to be a bit of an advantage. And what choke were you using?

Anyhow - glad you like your 930. I like mine as well. :)

SStark
February 21, 2008, 12:11 PM
cxg231- yes, i believe i was shooting skeet. Everyone but me had over-unders, wore side bags, and hit ALOT more than i did.

As far as the choke, i have no idea which one i have. I assume i need to take it out of the rear of the barrel with a choke wrench? I didn't get a wrench with the gun, so i called the store, and the owner said to use a quarter to loosen the choke. That sound right to you?

My apologies to the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Again, thanks for helpin' the noob.

cxg231
February 21, 2008, 03:08 PM
cxg231- yes, i believe i was shooting skeet. Everyone but me had over-unders, wore side bags, and hit ALOT more than i did.

As far as the choke, i have no idea which one i have. I assume i need to take it out of the rear of the barrel with a choke wrench? I didn't get a wrench with the gun, so i called the store, and the owner said to use a quarter to loosen the choke. That sound right to you?

The choke is screwed into the muzzle end of the barrel (the "pointy" end). :D

My 930 did not come with a choke wrench either, but the gun shop gave me one. I don't know about using a quarter, I never tired that. Chokes are somewhat "fragile" considering they are steel - you want to be careful with them. You might want to get a choke wrench just to have one (even if the quarter works). If the gun shop won't give you one, they should only be a dollar or two to purchase.

SStark
February 21, 2008, 04:44 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/dbfry_photos/DSC02666.jpg

ok, this is the "pointy end" right? hahaha:D

Looks like i'm running chokeless....wait, that doesn't sound right. Typed or not.
So if i'm gonna "annoy" the local Skeet shooters with my semi, i'll need to pick up #8, or #9 3" ammo and WHAT type of choke? Is skeet ammo low powered to begin with? So how would the choke help?
Sorry for all the questions.

Smitty in CT
February 21, 2008, 05:28 PM
Looks like i'm running chokeless....wait, that doesn't sound right. Typed or not.
So if i'm gonna "annoy" the local Skeet shooters with my semi, i'll need to pick up #8, or #9 3" ammo and WHAT type of choke? Is skeet ammo low powered to begin with? So how would the choke help?
You actually have a "Cylinder Bore" barrel... That means, the diameter of the bore is "fixed" and there are no choke tubes for it. You should be fine for skeet because the majority of the target aren't too far out yet. If you get into shooting clays seriously, you'll probably want to get a longer barrel with chokes that can be changed out. And there's no need for 3" shells, if you're not going to hit it with 2-3/4", you're not going to hit it with 3"....

cxg231
February 21, 2008, 05:34 PM
ok, this is the "pointy end" right? hahaha

Haha. Right. :D

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you might have a fixed-choke barrel, since I don't see any threads in your barrel (they might be a tad further down the barrel than what I can see in that picture).

Make sure the gun is unloaded (duh) and stick your finger in the barrel to see if you can feel threads. If not, you have a "factory fixed choke". If there are threads, then you must have a choke installed before you shoot. Shooting without a choke could deform the threads, making it difficult if not impossible to screw in a choke later.

What item # is your 930? Mossberg lists several 930's that come with fixed choke.
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=10&display=specs

A choke acts to constrict the shot pattern to achieve more or less shot pattern density at a certain range. Check out these web sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun#Pattern_and_choke

http://briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=51

PS - Smitty beat me to it! :p

SStark
February 21, 2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks Smitty in CT and cxg231!!

Looks like i have the "fixed choke barrel" or "Cylinder bore" barrel, as i can't find any threads. Since this shottie was purchased as a HD device, i don't think i'll need to go out and buy a new threaded barrel. This might however, give me a excuse to start looking at a dedicated skeet gun.:D

But thanks again for the links cxg231, now i've got some idea what your talking about.

Smitty in CT
February 21, 2008, 09:28 PM
...This might however, give me a excuse to start looking at a dedicated skeet gun...

I have the 28" Walnut "Field" version of the Mossberg 930, it is fantastic!! It balances great and is extremely reliable as you will find out as you get more use from your HD rig...

Desert01
February 29, 2008, 06:17 AM
http://pro-patria.us/930CH.jpg

http://pro-patria.us/930Choate.jpghttp://pro-patria.us/930max100.jpg

Mesa 870 Mount:
http://pro-patria.us/BRCHRLT.jpg
http://pro-patria.us/Mesa1.jpghttp://pro-patria.us/Messa2.jpg

Now for the range testing and m24shooters REAL pictures vs my BS. The Mesa unit is a great barrel band, but I am not sure that I like how high it places the light.

kennywiz
December 31, 2008, 04:29 PM
If anyone plans to purchase a 930 SPX, BE AWARE that a good number have left the factory with the front sight clocked to the left a few degrees. It is enough to notice. Mossberg will repair but you have to ship the gun back and wait.

I was unlucky and didn't check the other boards for this known issue.

Also...

Get it home, take it down, clean it, and lube it liberally. Reassemble, sit down with it, open the bolt and let it slam home a few hundred times. Take it back down, clean, and lubricate. It now is ready for use.