PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200, 22-250, ideas on customizing

bentrod
January 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
I just ordered a Stevens 200, 22-250, $302 OTD.

Initial loads will be Nosler 52 gr, HPBT competition, Win/Win, H380.

I got a Simmons WTC a while back for $99, so with rings mounts etc, will have about $450 in to this set-up.

I will build this up slowly, might need a Timmney trigger to start with. This seems to be a light barrel, and will see how the scope works for me. Lots of possibilities. Ideas, anyone?

oldcars
January 9, 2008, 10:34 PM
I had a 200 in .223, and it was a great shooter. Before you buy an aftermarket trigger, play with the factory one. A friend and I adjusted mine down to a crisp 3 lbs with no real creep. cant ask for much better than that on a hunting gun, and its a free mod! Just be carefull not to go to far. (its only screws so easy to back up) I did that, then bought a Wood stock of ebay for $50 (which is for sale now, p.m. me if interested) I also played with the factory plastic stock, speant about an hour with an xacto knife, file & sandpaper to smooth all the ugly and uncomfortable seam lines out and painted it two color brown camo with Bi-mart plastic paint. It came out ok, but the wood was a big inprovement. Good luck-

45romeo
February 17, 2008, 01:29 AM
I just got this same rilfe and would like to lighten up the trigger How did you get it so light?

Thanks
45romeo

Shane Tuttle
February 17, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'd have to agree with taking it to a gunsmith and have the original trigger worked on. He only charged me $50 and I have very little take-up and over-travel. And the pull is right about 1.5 lbs. Very clean work.

Buzzkill
February 17, 2008, 01:39 PM
thats a good idea with sandingout the seam lines.i'm gonna try that with mine!:)

shooter_john
February 17, 2008, 01:59 PM
I'd recommend a Bell & Carlson (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=981252&t=11082005) for a great stock at a great price. Lots of colors and camo's to choose from too.

bentrod
February 18, 2008, 06:20 PM
The new Stevens rifles have a center feed magazine , which is in the stock, so a lot of stocks won't fit for now. I am sure a lot of stock makers will be changing their tooling to make this adjustment.

shooter_john
February 18, 2008, 08:01 PM
AHHH... Good point, I had forgotten they put the centerfeed on the Stevens line also.
Well, if B&C makes the CF stocks, I'll bet they'll be nice!