PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this safe?

Robanna
November 13, 2007, 09:27 PM
This seems like a very good deal. It's got a Type 1 S&G digital lock and 1" thick door. I'm in the market for a safe and this looks like it could be the one, because delivery is included and Cannon makes a great safe.

A bit bigger than I want now, but that's ok too--room to grow. At 500lbs, I'm wondering if it would be too heavy for my upstairs bedroom floor? Any insight here? Figure loaded, it'd be around 600lbs. I'm sure a typical wood floor can handle that, but not sure.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11234777&cm_mmc=Google-_-BFCannonSafeVault-_-CreativeB-_-Cannon%20safe#shipinfo

a1abdj
November 13, 2007, 10:48 PM
It's not a bad deal, but it's not anything extraordinary either.

I believe this is an imported safe, and as always, I have some issues with what they have to say about their product.

Per the linked website:

This safe comes standard with the best warranty in the business

There are many companies that offer the same warranty.

an exceptional 30 minute fire rating

This safe carries no UL fire rating. A 1 hour UL fire rating is considered entry level in the safe business. DO NOT count on a gun safe to protect against fire.

This vault is definitely a wise investment for any business or home owner looking to protect valuables from theft and fire.

Which is why your local bank branch uses this exact same model :D

This safe carries no insurable rating for business use.

Commercial grade Type 1 electronic lock allows user to change combination

Entry level UL listed lock. The fact that it is UL listed is good, but not the number 1 choice for commercial service.

1” thick composite door

This is the steel folded over drywall. It's not "composite" how us in the business typically refer to a "composite" safe. It's another term often used with high security safes that the gun safe manufacturers have borrowed.

This door is more likely than not to be a 12 gauge (1/10") sheet of steel wrapped around 5/8" gypsum board. If this door was 1" plate, the door alone would weigh more than the advertised weight of this entire safe.

Cannon has been the leader in fit& finish, fire, security and warranty. Free repair or replacement of safe after a Fire, Flood, or Burglary attack.

I'm surprised none of these manfacturers offer to replace the contents of the safe if burned or stolen. Wonder why?

I'm just using this particular example to point out many of the problems I have with gun safe companies. Cannon is not the only company that engages in this type of behavior. It's not a bad deal, but you aren't exactly getting what they say you're getting either.

Robanna
November 14, 2007, 07:39 AM
A1, Thanks for the feedback. I PMd you.

Rob

Slamfire
November 16, 2007, 09:32 PM
I don't want to say a safe is a safe, but a safe is a barrier. Some are absolutely better barriers than others.

I am not a safe construction expert. So maybe that is why I purchased a Cannon safe maybe ten years ago. It was a good price and it was a good size.

A friend of mine had a very inexpensive safe, sheet metal almost the thickness of what is used in a medicine cabinet. It had to be bolted to a wall stud, because it was light enough to carry off. And it had a key lock. But that minimum security was enough that a burglar, who was interested in a quick in and out job, did not get inside the safe and steal the LC Smith shotgun that was in there.

Another gentleman, who I only heard on the radio, bought a very expensive safe, and put very expensive items in it. A crew of burglars came, got tools from his garage, and using sledge hammers and crow bars, beat the door open. Apparently took them a while, but there is nothing made by man that cannot be unmade by man.

A safe provides a barrier, and I think any safe is better than no safe.

I do wish there was more information in what to look for in a safe, maybe there were better options when I purchased my Cannon

I do not recommend the electronic locks. I live in an area where there is a lot Government safes. And about seven years ago they all went electronic locks. I talked to local locksmiths who every couple of days were drilling open Government safes because the electronic lock failed. I asked them how often the older S&G mechanical locks http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/prod_mechcombo.php failed. That brought out a lot of head scratching. Well it had been a while, maybe one a month, maybe less.

Basically the mechanical locks are highly reliable compared to the electronic locks. Maybe the electronic locks have improved, but considering the state of perfection in mechanical locks, I don’t see a reason to change.

Sgt.Fathead
November 20, 2007, 12:27 AM
I use Sentry safes and always buy models with dial tumbler combos. I've had friends with biometric safes that failed and friends with electronic locks that failed. Tumblers work plenty good for me.

Another tip: I used old lumber and whacked together a very convincing cabinet to cover both of my safes. Looks just like an old tool cabinet and matches the hodge-podge of salvaged kitchen cabinets that adorn my basement workshop. Beyond burglars, it keeps my gun safes out of sight from tradesman (boiler guy, water treatment guy, exterminator) that may or may not be 100% honest.

Good Luck!

BillCA
November 20, 2007, 04:29 AM
These safes are actually "Residental security containers" (RSCs) and are not up to the standards of a commercial safe.

That said, I purchased a 17 cu ft Liberty safe last January for the same price. It affords me some peace of mind when I leave the house. Its in a spot that will be difficult to use sledges and prybars, but I'm sure some clever types might get it open if they spend time on it.

What you are buying is time. Backing up your safe with some kind of alarm that makes noise outside reduces their time-on-site and they're less likely to spend time attacking the safe. This is the best way to enhance the security of a gun safe (alarms) as well as your other valuables.

skeeter
November 27, 2007, 12:45 AM
Consider where you put the safe. Up stairs means that if there is a fire the temperatures will be VERY high. Best place is near an exterior wall or over concrete and bolted to the concrete.Beaements can led to water damage in case of fire or broken pipes.
I believe American Security is the best bang for the buck- it does not have a fancy finish, etc.
Suggest a 90 minute fire rating as a 30 or 45 minute rating means nothing as heat will not heat up the inside until after 45 minutes and most fires will be longer than 45 minutes.
Basically you get what you pay for. You are investing a good deal of money- spend a little more and get real protection other than a safe that really has a 1/8" door and less for the side walls.
I suggest the best thing you can do is hide the safe behing a phony wall etc.

xcop
December 5, 2007, 08:12 AM
This safe and one other Cannon sells have composite doors that according to their own brochures are a single 12 g sheet wrapped over fireboard. So the door steel is .10 of an inch. Most of the attacks from everything I've read and heard will be at the door. One tenth of an inch steel isnt likely to stop much prying. The regular and traditional series use double steel composite and the lower end American Eagle use a 3/16 plate(.187) for the door. I would guess this safe was specd to give Costco a particular price point so the door was sacrificed. Better than nothing but for the money or a little more you can get a stronger door. No knock against Cannon as I own two and have recently upgraded to Graffunder.