PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 1849 Pocket

mobayjd
October 20, 2007, 11:15 AM
Hello all, the story: Purchased a Uberti colt pocket few weeks back and nothing but headaches! caps falling off, no .32cal wads avail., I didn,t want to get into cooking fat and finding felt to punch.
The fix, Thunder Ridge nipples for #11 caps "they FIT" after seating with hammer they ain,t goin nowhere, cheapo punch set from Harber Freight 1/2 in on down .36cal wads prelubed and I,m in business. Oh yeah the punches wouldn,t punch toilet paper untill I used fine grinding wheel and file to sharpen.
Bottom line this hobby is for the dedicated only. Almost gave up but I really like the look and feel of the little colt. With aging eyes and fat fingers still some what of a challenge, but then if you just want to spray lead get a plastic wonder nine. Shoot Safe.

grymster2007
October 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
Be careful! Just got my first BP revolver and despite the fact I have not fired it yet, I've already found that I'll be needing an 1863 Remmy Pocket, an 1860 Remmy, and 1851 and a Walker.:eek: Whatever you do, don't post a pic of your 1849.... you'll just be causing me a lot of anxiety!... and probably some money too.:D

jtaylor
October 20, 2007, 02:19 PM
I have the same Uberti, 1849 pocket .31 . You need #10 Remington caps, they work the best and fit perfect my 1849, Dragoon and Walker. Rem #11's work ok too, just aren't as long. I've tried CCI, RWS too but they fall off ( just pinch them first and they'll hold tight )
You can and should shoot #0 Buckshot in this gun. It's .320 and loads well.
.321 would be better, but is hard to find. Plus, 5 lbs of buckshot is about $15 and should be about 800 balls. Can' beat that price.
I punch felt, but some lube on top of the balls is fine too.

jtaylor
October 20, 2007, 02:21 PM
What will you do to remove the nipples for cleaning? Or if one splits or gets damaged? The stock nipples on it are actually great, just need the proper caps. #11 caps are for long guns, #10's for handguns generally.

mobayjd
October 20, 2007, 02:30 PM
Taylor I only have and use cci #11 caps they fit and work fine on my 1860 army, these nipples from Thunder Ridge cost only $3.00 and they are made for #11 caps to remove and clean just use small nipple wrench. Shoot Safe

Hawg
October 20, 2007, 02:59 PM
Be careful! Just got my first BP revolver and despite the fact I have not fired it yet, I've already found that I'll be needing an 1863 Remmy Pocket, an 1860 Remmy, and 1851 and a Walker. Whatever you do, don't post a pic of your 1849.... you'll just be causing me a lot of anxiety!... and probably some money too.

Don't forget the various sheriff and police models.........Oh yeah and Dragoons;)

grymster2007
October 20, 2007, 03:12 PM
Don't forget the various sheriff and police models.........Oh yeah and Dragoons

And I thought we were pals!:D:D:D:D

K.A.T.
October 20, 2007, 03:37 PM
Grymster once you get all those pistols you have to work out all the problems with each one like Mobayjd is doing.Then when you get that done,you can start putting BP rifle kits together,then custom building your own,it never ends,then another revolver,you can't run or hide,it never stops!:D

mobayjd
October 20, 2007, 03:57 PM
You are all right, the 1860 army has been tuned and loved on so I know it,s reliable, just about to get the little pocket where I want it. Thinking seriously about 1851 navy civilian model { silver plated backstrap and trigger guard] from Cabellas, and wouldn,t ya know it they sent me a $20.00 off coupon!!
Oh well .36 is the only cal. I don,t have! Shoot Safe

Jbar4Ranch
October 20, 2007, 10:23 PM
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The top 1849 is a relic plowed up in a field here by my grandfather back about 1940 or so, and originally owned by a man named C. Smith who was a Butterfield-Overland station agent in present southwest Montana in the 1860's. The middle one is an original Colt from 1859 and the bottom one is a modern repro from ASM.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/1849Colts.jpg

Did someone mention Walkers? I shoot these Ubertis every now and then at local Cowboy Action shoots.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/Walkers001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/WalkerHolsters002.jpg

Hawg
October 20, 2007, 11:04 PM
And I thought we were pals!

That's what you get for thinking.:p:p:D Don't forget the London 51's with the steel backstrap. OH, and the early 51's with the squareback trigger guard.;)

grymster2007
October 21, 2007, 02:48 PM
Don't forget the various sheriff and police models.........Oh yeah and Dragoons

once you get all those pistols you have to work out all the problems with each one like Mobayjd is doing.Then when you get that done,you can start putting BP rifle kits together,then custom building your own

Don't forget the London 51's with the steel backstrap. OH, and the early 51's with the squareback trigger guard

Mrs. Grymster is none too fond of any of you and I'm sure my heirs wil learn to hate you too.:D:D:D:D

Jbar4Ranch,
That’s a nice collection you got there!:)

DrLaw
October 24, 2007, 03:14 PM
Mobayjd,

As somebody already said, get #10 caps. I think you can get them from Cabela's and most sport shops can probably order you in a box of them.

As for the felt wads, Dixie Gun Works has them (as do some sports shops I have visited, too).

Also, use Bore Butter on the top as this helps cut down the BP residue fouling making reloading easier and cleaning faster.

I really like my Uberti Wells Fargo, which is the same model only without the loading rod. I mould my own .32 balls for it, but I used to use the buckshot, as in the suggestion that the other person made here, as well. Worked great then, should work great now.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

KevininPa
October 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
"Mrs. Grymster is none too fond of any of you and I'm sure my heirs wil learn to hate you too."

Not if you start the heirs out on black powder shooting.

Kevin in Pa

James K
October 25, 2007, 06:15 PM
Many years ago, I knew a fellow who carried an 1849 in Washington, DC. (Original, of course, no repros back then.) I kept an eye on the papers for a while to see if the cops were puzzled by a body with one buckshot in it, but I never heard anything, so I guess he never had to use the little revolver.

Jim

Ohio Rusty
October 25, 2007, 08:21 PM
Go to the thrift store and find a fedora or other wool felt hat for 99 cents. Buy a cheap chinese made punch set at the dollar store and you now have a lifetime of wads for pistols in .32, .36 and .44 calibers. There are punches in those sets that fit those calibers pretty well. Any fat or commercial lube will work for lubing wads. Doing gun stuff is what you do when you sit in front of the tube numbing your mind with the useless drivell. I can deprime and size hundreds of shells with my Lee handloader during a half an hour show. I dump them into the shell cleaner/tumbler at the end ...... I'll commonly cut out muzzleloading patches with a pencil, a template and pillow ticking during a show on TV. I actuall don't care for TV much .... I'd rather be reloading, woods walking, hunting or fishing ...... If it wasn't for my wife, I'd get rid of the time wasting TV completely.
Ohio Rusty

Raider2000
October 25, 2007, 08:54 PM
I actuall don't care for TV much .... I'd rather be reloading, woods walking, hunting or fishing ...... If it wasn't for my wife, I'd get rid of the time wasting TV completely.
Ohio Rusty

My sentiments exactly, my wife does not understand why I can be in the woods for hours & not bring home anything but come back very happy & satisfied but I can't sit & watch a movie or program on the TV for more than a hour before I'm either fast asleep or ready to do something else.

Enjoy that 1849 pocket, they are fine little hand guns & loads of fun.
Shoot safe, & I can't wait for a range report.

38splfan
October 26, 2007, 11:31 PM
Mrs. Grymster is none too fond of any of you and I'm sure my heirs wil learn to hate you too.

Will the "Family Grym" also hate me when I say the following?

Uberti Remington 5 1/2" Gunfighter
Uberti Remington 10 inch Bison
Standard Remmy
Pocket Remmy
Remmy revolving carbine

:D Not trying to corrupt you or anything:D

CraigC
October 27, 2007, 01:20 AM
What do you mean no wads available? Am I missing something?

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3557

Hawg
October 27, 2007, 08:18 AM
Any fat or commercial lube will work for lubing wads.

Don't use a petroleum based lube for bp. It makes a hard crusty fouling that's tuff to get out. Use vegetable based lubes or make your own out of beeswax and olive oil.

grymster2007
October 27, 2007, 02:01 PM
Will the "Family Grym" also hate me when I say the following?

Uberti Remington 5 1/2" Gunfighter
Uberti Remington 10 inch Bison
Standard Remmy
Pocket Remmy
Remmy revolving carbine

Not trying to corrupt you or anything

I think they're looking for you as we speak!:D That is the "Family Grym" minus yours truly. He's busy surfing for all these cool BP guns!:D

DrLaw
January 26, 2008, 12:14 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb53/DrLaw45/UbertiWellsFargo.jpg

Just like the 1849 pocket, only much, much slower. Got an afternoon to shoot a couple cylinders full? :D

The Doc is out now. :cool: