PDA

View Full Version : BP cylinder conversions

dalegribble
August 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm new to BP revolvers but trying to learn. I have an 1851 Navy, 1861 Navy and just arrived an 1858 Remington. I see that there are cylinder conversions available for all these guns to fire cartridges. The Remington is the easiest to swap cylinders and is supposed to be the strongest. The Colts needs to be disassembled to swap cylinders.

I know there are different cylinder conversions available. My question is which if any have a loading gate so I can reload without taking the cylinder out? If I have to take the cylinder out of the remmy like in pale rider it is really no faster than swapping the round ball cylinder. The Colts would be more attractive if a loading gate was available instead of having to disassemble the pistol. If a loading gate version is availabe can it be done without gunsmithing:? Thanks.
BTW it is just great fun owning these pieces of history.

Raider2000
August 16, 2007, 07:02 PM
This is one of the companies that manufactur these cartridge conversion kits for most of your Cap & Ball Revolvers...

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/ruger.html

Unfortunatly they do not make one for a .44 caliber Colt. :(

hunter64
August 16, 2007, 09:11 PM
It has always had me wondering why someone would buy a conversion cylinder for a Black Powder revolver when you could buy another whole replica .45 LC revolver for the same amount. No ugly side mounted ejector rod, but I guess if you wanted a replica of a converted unit maybe but to just shoot I am not so sure.

mykeal
August 17, 2007, 07:14 AM
By Hunter64:
It has always had me wondering why someone would buy a conversion cylinder for a Black Powder revolver when you could buy another whole replica .45 LC revolver for the same amount. No ugly side mounted ejector rod, but I guess if you wanted a replica of a converted unit maybe but to just shoot I am not so sure.

Because you can buy a percussion revolver without going through an FFL, and then buy a conversion cylinder without going through an FFL, but to buy the cartridge revolver you have to use an FFL holder.

It is legal to install a cartridge conversion cylinder in a percussion revolver and use it yourself - you have essentially 'manufactured' your own gun, and believe it or not there are no laws (at least, no federal laws) restricting that. You just can't sell or give away such a modified gun.

hunter64
August 17, 2007, 07:22 AM
mykeal: Well that makes sense, I live in Canada and we would have to register everything so that is why you would never see one here, what is the point.

sundance44s
August 17, 2007, 08:31 AM
The cartridge conversions added to the price of the pistol does put a rather large price tag on the combo loading and unloading on the drop in conversions is fast ..but then again its historicaly correct and for me I use the drop in conversions ..so on those days when I feel like doing the cap and ball thing I just swap cylinders .
If I wanted just a cartridge pistol I`d buy a Colt Peacemaker or 1875 Remmie copy .

mykeal
August 17, 2007, 10:36 AM
It's possible to go the other way - buy a cartridge gun and then get a conversion cylinder to make it a percussion gun.

Uberti makes a percussion version of their 1873 Colt Single Action Army (they call it the Single Action Cattleman). You could buy the cartridge gun and then buy a percussion cylinder from VTI Gun Parts for $75.

Why you would do that is irrelevant - just because you can, of course.

I bought the percussion version gun at an auction a couple of years ago; one of these days I may get a cartridge cylinder for it; VTI sells them for $90.

The gun frame is already set up for the cartridge cylinder with a loading gate and ejector rod. It does not have a loading lever, and the loading gate does not allow access to the nipples so you can cap them. You have to remove the percussion cylinder from the gun and use a cylinder loading stand to load it. And then cap the nipples before you put the cylinder back in the gun.

Why would Uberti make such an awkward (and un-authentic, to coin a word) gun? Because some people cannot buy or own cartridge handguns, so this is a way they can at least get close to the famous Colt single action revolvers - they can buy the percussion version.

Old Dragoon
August 17, 2007, 11:49 AM
Mykeal,
The Cartridge model Uberti Cattleman cylinder will not work in the BP version of the Cattleman nor vice versa, the hammer is offset on the BP gun and so is the cylinder. Some have tried to make a cartridge conversion with the cartridge cylinder, by opening up the hole for a firing pin, then the primers back out into the hole and either jam the cylinder, or blows the primer back thru the hole, not a good deal at all.

Kirst and R & D DO make a 44 Colt Conversion cylinders for the Remy's. It is the heeled version of the 44 Rem/Colt that uses an outside lubed bullet that is .451 Dia. drive bands. A 44 Colt would be too smal a dia and wobble or ship to my lou doewn the bbl of a 44 Cal Bp gun. .429 Dia 44 Colt x .451 nom grooves + Skippy down the tube.

mykeal
August 17, 2007, 02:36 PM
By Old Dragoon:
The Cartridge model Uberti Cattleman cylinder will not work in the BP version of the Cattleman nor vice versa, the hammer is offset on the BP gun and so is the cylinder. Some have tried to make a cartridge conversion with the cartridge cylinder, by opening up the hole for a firing pin, then the primers back out into the hole and either jam the cylinder, or blows the primer back thru the hole, not a good deal at all.

Somehow I knew it would be too good to be true...:(...I guess the Good Lord just intends me to continue living in the past!

Thanks, OD