PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a Russian Tokarev Safety???

saands
August 13, 2007, 12:27 PM
I have a "new to me" Russian Tokarev TT-33. It has a frame safety that I suspect was a retrofit to satisfy the BATF ... but I'm not completely sure.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2474/tokleftvx7.th.jpg (http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tokleftvx7.jpg)

Anyway ... when I shoot a round and then pull the trigger a second time, the hammer gets stuck above the half cock position. At that point, the hammer can't be pulled back and the trigger can't be pulled. :(

In order to move on, you have to pull the slide back and chamber a new round. The movement of the slide to unlock the hammer must be a clue, but I'm not exactly sure what it's trying to tell me.

FWIW, the ejected round has no firing pin mark.

After this happened three times, I fired the first round and then manually brought the hammer all the way forward and then recocked it. That seemed to work fine.

Any ideas on what is going on ... Safety? Disconnector?

The next step is obviously a detail strip, but since I'm totally new to the TT series, I thought that the best first move would be to ping you guys here!

TIA,

Saands

Scorch
August 13, 2007, 01:45 PM
Sounds like the slide is not cycling fully, typically a sign that you are using underpowered ammunition. And the trigger pull without hammer fall is likely caused by not enough clearance for the sear inside the action. Either way, a good cleaning and a drop of lube on the disconnector will probably help.

saands
August 13, 2007, 02:02 PM
Was using S&B ammo ... typically works OK, but that has been in CZ-52's ... if this is actually the case, then all I can say is YAHOOOOOOOOOO! It's time for handloads! I'll try with some mil-surp that I have.

Thanks ...

Saands

James K
August 13, 2007, 05:36 PM
The TT 33 as originally designed has no manual safety, so if yours has one, it was installed by the importer to meet import requirements. I suspect that is where the trouble is, but can't really tell without seeing the gun or getting more information.

Jim

saands
August 13, 2007, 06:42 PM
Jim,

That was my understanding of the safety issue. Do you know if these were sear blocking safeties? or trigger blocking safeties?

Thanks,
Saands

James K
August 13, 2007, 07:14 PM
There were two or three types of safeties used, but I think all were sear blocking. The TT-33 has its fire control in a "block" that just pulls up and out of the gun, but the safety messes that up and has to be removed to get the block to come up and out. Again, removal varies; one type has a screw on the right side like the old type Colt Model M. If you get the safety out, try the gun without it. I would not toss it (you will want to put it back in if you sell the gun) but I would leave it out for shooting unless you plan to carry the gun(!?!).

Jim

TEDDY
August 21, 2007, 04:48 PM
IS THAT A RUSSIAN OR IS IT CHINESE.I have one and the safety just rocks in the frame.I took it out as JIM said they were made without safetys.mine has two screws as stops.take reaar one out and turn safety down and pull out. mine alwas slopped.I never trusted it.