PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of retiring my revolvers

Homerboy
July 22, 2007, 03:45 PM
I have three revolvers, a Ruger SPNY, a S&W 642 with CTC grips, and a S&W 66 .357. I really like them, but I am thinking of selling at least the two .38's. Why? Well, last night at 1 AM I was awakened by a knock at the door. I grab the 642 and go to the door. I see a guy I recognize from the building and a guy in a maintenance outfit. The guy in the uniform (I've seen him around) is telling me that my toilet has a leak and id going into the other guy's apartment. My 642 is in my pocket and everything was as he said. he had to replace a rubber valve or something and he left with his apologies. After he left, I got to thinking. Most home invasions are several guys. Hit ratio in shooting are generally very low (cops hit less than 20% of the time), and even direct hits might not be enough to stop a guy before he gets to you. I have several semi auto's that I really like. Other than range use, I'm kind of wondering if I should bother with the revolver anymore. I'll probably keep them since I don't know how much I could get for them and I would not sell the 66, but I'm thinking for carry and nightstand gun, the auto's are the way to go. I must admit the 642 is so easy to carry. I'm just ranting here, I guess. I'll probably just let them sit in the safe, but the 1AM knock definitly got me thinking. With a pregnant wife in the next room, I want to be prepared for the worst, you know?

Spenser
July 22, 2007, 04:36 PM
I'm not so sure. It sounds like you and the revolvers have quite a bit of history together. I'd think that if you are familiar with the revolvers, can hit what you're aiming at with them, and have confidence in them, I'd let them stick around.

Theoretically speaking, if you were to add a typical 1911 .45, you're not going to get more than about three extra shots.

I have a friend who has a dinosaur of a 1911. It's not at all fancy or slick. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that modern 1911's have. However, he can shoot that thing like you wouldn't believe. He loves that gun, and he can make it perform.

So if I had to have him take a shot that might save my life, I'd want him shooting the gun that he loves the most and feels the most confident in.

That's my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it....

Playboypenguin
July 22, 2007, 04:39 PM
Most home invasions are several guys.
More rounds can be better. But an auto that you forget to rack, forget to take the safety of on, or that jams on the first shot is worth alot less than a reliable revolver anyday.

I am moore curious as to what info the statement you made above is based.

Homerboy
July 22, 2007, 04:56 PM
I'm a retired cop. I have responded to many home invasions, not to mention just reading about them now that I'm retired. I do like my revolvers, but I shoot better with my semi autos. My 642 is a gun I can hit with, especially with the laser grips, but my groupings are tighter with the semi autos, and the are more pleasant to shoot. I have been a big revolver advocate, and I don't see the benefit to carrying a 6 shot semi auto vs. a 5 shot revolver. No jamming, option of pocket shooting body contact shots are big plusses. I'm just saying that if it HAD been a home invasion, I'd be kind of screwed with a 5 shot .38. Next time, he's not coming in, regardless of the circumstances. I only let him in because I recognized him and he is a hell of a good worker, but 1AM is 1AM. At the very least, the semi auto will be with me next time. For carry in the summer, I'll stick with the 642. It's so light.

Playboypenguin
July 22, 2007, 05:00 PM
The part I am questioning is the "several guys" part. I am an ex-LEO also and every statistic I ever saw showed about 90% or more of invasions consisted of 2 or less people...the vast majority of the time just one person.

I also seldom ever saw a shooting, that resulted from a home invasion scenerio, that involved more than one or two shots being fired by the homeowner. So it seems to me the easier to use and more reliable revolver would be the better choice. Depending on how well you can shoot a revolver compared to a semi-auto of course.

The statistics I see on local crime seems to back that up too. maybe it is different where you live.

oldbillthundercheif
July 22, 2007, 06:42 PM
In a home-invasion type of deal, I think a handgun would be best used to get you to a rifle or shotgun. Five or six rounds of .357 would probably do that job.

Homerboy
July 22, 2007, 06:47 PM
Well, the home invasions I've dealt with are generally 3-5 guys. You need at least one to watch the victims, and the others ransack the house. I'm aware that most gun fights end in less than 3 shots, also. Just got me thinking. First time I ever answered the door in my underwear ready to shoot.

Don Lu
July 22, 2007, 07:21 PM
I feel the main part is but I shoot better with my semi autos.. thats what it all comes down to...no need to have guns that you cant hit your target with..I love my revos, but I can hit w/them...if your shhot better w/ semis's, just make sure you have a reliable semi.

BikerRN
July 23, 2007, 02:56 AM
On-Duty: I carry a "bottomfeeder".

Off-Duty: I carry an N-Frame behind the strong side hip and a J-Frame in the support side pocket. I also carry a reload for each Revolver. I shoot Revolvers and Autoloaders about equal.

House-Gun: Whatever I grab until I can "fight" my way to the carbine or the shotgun, usually a Glock 19

Biker

Para Bellum
July 23, 2007, 08:07 AM
Glock 26/27 conceals better than any revolver and carries 11 - 33 rounds depending on the magazine you use.

j-framer
July 23, 2007, 09:38 AM
Glock 26/27 conceals better than any revolver and carries 11 - 33 rounds depending on the magazine you use.

Without trying to precipitate a sniping match, that is simply false for almost all modes of carry. A small-frame revolver, while its measurements in all three dimensions will probably match or slightly exceed those of the G26/G27, lends itself far better to pocket or ankle carry, and to most methods of deep concealment (belly bands, Thunderwear, shirt holsters, etc.).

The numbers don't tell the whole story. Though a small revolver is technically thicker, this maximum thickness occurs for only a very small portion of the whole package. After that, the revo is much thinner overall and nestles very nicely in all manner of small, dark places on your body:).

I am a big Glock fan, by the way. Considering concealment alone, I just don't think they can prevail against something like Homerboy's 642.

Back on topic:

...but I'm thinking for carry and nightstand gun, the auto's are the way to go. I must admit the 642 is so easy to carry.

Sounds as though your answer lies in that quote. I would retain the 642 in its current role of carry gun, and get a semi-auto for a house gun if it makes you feel better.

bcarver
July 23, 2007, 09:58 AM
I keep a 66 and a glock 40 on the nightstand.
I feel comfortable with both and the wife can get the other one if she wakes up.

skeeter1
July 23, 2007, 11:36 AM
I do love my semi-auto Beretta Cheetah and it's the first one I grab for when I'm just going out to have fun.

However, in a high-anxiety, most-likely nighttime defensive situation, I'll go with one of the revolvers. After shooting revolvers for 50 years, operating them comes intuitively to me. I'm confident that 5 or 6 shots of .38Spl+Ps will be enough to get me out of a bad way.

Mannlicher
July 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
Homerboy Most home invasions are several guys.

and most home invasions are druggie against druggie. If you are not dealing dope on a commercial scale, you have more chance of winning the lottery than being targeted for a home invasion.
Its pretty much a non issue for normal folks.

workinwifdakids
July 23, 2007, 02:00 PM
The old man scares me with a revolver. He went through the academy with the [deleted] P.D. in the early 70's. He holds the revolver one-handed, and just plugs away one round at a time and is very accurate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there may be no reason at all to feel undergunned if you're comfortable with a gun in a respectable caliber. Hope that helps.

Creature
July 23, 2007, 02:08 PM
If you do decide to sell any of them, please let me know!

BikerRN
July 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
Keep the Revolvers for carry and get a "bottomfeeder" for Home Defense.

Personally I keep a carbine and a shotgun for entrenched home defense and the handgun is for clearing the house and fighting my way to my long gun.

Biker

easyG
July 23, 2007, 05:32 PM
Most home invasions are several guys. Hit ratio in shooting are generally very low (cops hit less than 20% of the time), and even direct hits might not be enough to stop a guy before he gets to you. I have several semi auto's that I really like. Other than range use, I'm kind of wondering if I should bother with the revolver anymore.
I've been back and forth on the "auto vs revolver" issue myself, many times.
But I have finally come out of the dark ages and these days I prefer the auto.

Most modern autos are very reliable and, all other things being equal, more bullets is better.
But what really pushed me over was when my trusty .38 revolver jammed on me at the range.
Yep, bang, bang,....nothing.
The cylinder locked up and would not budge.
It took a gunsmith to get it moving again.
So while autos can jam, the problem is usually easy to fix rather quickly...not so if a revolver jams.

David Armstrong
July 23, 2007, 07:28 PM
Most home invasions are several guys.
That is rather questionable in my experience, and more importantly my experience also is that if you show that you are a hard target the baadguys will go away most of the time. So the revolver is quite sufficient for the task. Now, if you happen to get the unusual oddball event, having a whole bunch of bullets won;t make that much difference either. If you are comfortable with the revolvers keep them, they are a good choice.

ace1001
July 23, 2007, 09:17 PM
Keep what you are familiar with. Ace

crankshop1000
July 24, 2007, 10:04 AM
I would take the 642 with the crimson trace any time. It is as close to a combat revolver that there is. KEEP IT!!! The 1911 you mentioned that your friend has is the only other pistol I would opt for. I have both with the laser sights and I don't lust for anything "better". Chuck.

seeker_two
July 24, 2007, 12:25 PM
Split the difference....get an 8-shot N-frame revolver....

But oldbillthundercheif is right...5-6 shots should be enough to get you to the shotgun.... :D

Homerboy
July 24, 2007, 09:22 PM
You think this guy was a drug dealer who got capped by other drug dealers?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-07-23-conn-home-invasion_N.htm

Doc TH
July 24, 2007, 10:31 PM
Long-term study by NYPD found average number of shots fired by both sides in cop-perp shootings was less than 3. Major factor associated with stopping the fight was not rounds fired or caliber, but shot placement. Having said that, go with whatever makes you feel most comfortable. For me, it's either a S&W 13 3" 357 or a 686+ (7 round) 357 until I can get to my 12 gauge.

Homerboy
July 25, 2007, 05:31 AM
As retired NYPD, I'm calling BS. maybe back in the day when cops carried revolvers, but every cop shooting I've ever responded to was far more than 3. The one time I fired my gun I had no idea how many I let go (turned out to be 11).

fastbolt
July 28, 2007, 02:58 PM
Homerboy has decided to share his thoughts as he reconsiders an established personal practice. I understand his reasoning and concerns.

I also like revolvers. I liked them before I began working as a cop, I carried them as issued weapons as a young cop, and I've enjoyed an increased interest in them in recent years as off-duty weapons. I have little doubt they'll become a mainstay in my choice of retirement carry weapons.

However, when it comes to a weapon being available during the night (my children are grown and my first grandchild is still months away), it's generally either my issued compact .40 S&W (equipped with night sights), or else one or another of my personally owned pistols equipped with night sights.

Why?

It isn't limited to just one reason. I've been carrying and training with pistols of one sort or another for quite a number of years. I've fired tens of thousands of rounds through a number of various issued and personally owned pistols during my career. My demonstrated skills and abilities with various pistols are pretty much developed well enough for me to trust them under stress.

The main reason my night table weapon is generally a pistol, though? Simple, really. The number of rounds available between reloading ... combined with the consideration that if I'm undressed when I reach for a weapon and flashlight, I may end up not having a spare speedloader on me if/when my 5-shot revolver runs dry. FWIW, I've only got one revolver with a night sight, and I haven't finished my personal 'shake down' period with it, yet. ;)

Like other cops, I've had the opportunity to learn of LE shootings which involved anywhere from one, to a few, to a lot of rounds fired.

Like other citizens, I've had the opportunity to read the published details involved in reported 'home invasion'-type crimes occurring outside my immediate jurisdiction.

While I can't remember much of the details, I do remember reading a newspaper article about a home invasion-type crime several years ago where one of the home-owners (husband) was reported to have been killed and found with an empty revolver in, or near, his hand. If I remember right, his surviving spouse used a weapon dropped by one of the suspects, and she may have killed one of the attacking suspects. Anybody who remembers this incident in northern California with accurate details feel free to clarify.

Considering where I currently live in the foothills of a major metropolitan valley (until I retire), I've decided that having anywhere from 8-10 rounds at hand in a pistol equipped with night sights, versus 5 rounds in a revolver, is enough to satisfy my perceived needs.

During my activities and travels by day, though, I'm generally well satisfied with one or another of my lightweight J-frames, generally a 642. As Homerboy says, it's just so light and easy to carry. I carry anywhere from a couple of speedstrips to several speedloaders, depending on my method of carry and manner of dress. There are occasions when I opt for a pistol and one or two spare magazines, but the small, lightweight j-frames are simply much easier to adapt to my daily needs and activities. I'm past the point when I desire to lug around a full-size revolver or pistol as a matter of course when I'm on my own time. Occasionally, yes, if I feel the anticipated circumstances merit it ... but not as a matter of course.

With a pregnant wife in the next room, I want to be prepared for the worst, you know? Congrats on the new child Homerboy. :D

Since you say you're a retired cop, though, I don't really want to ask whether you're already of grandfather age ... :eek: ... or whether you simply retired early. Raising a child is pretty much a new 20-year service hitch, you know. ;)

Oh yeah ... I'd also keep the revolvers in the safe instead of selling them. Sounds like a nice collection of working revolvers. I'm certainly glad I kept my 649, SP-101DAO and my old well-used and nicely tuned Service-Six, instead of selling them once I started carrying my 642. After the 649 had sat in the safe for a few years I rediscovered why I originally liked it in the first place, and it's seeing more service as an off-duty weapon again. I've long since decided to never again sell a handgun which has proven itself to be of good quality and function, even if I lose interest in it for a while.

Golddog
August 9, 2007, 10:32 AM
I love everything about revolvers and have owned more than a hundred of them. I've shot a hundred times more rounds through them than through autos. J's are easier to carry and draw from a pocket holster than any small auto.

BUT my CZ 75's are far easier to shoot well and fast, even without much practice. And J frames have DA triggers which are difficult to shoot confidently, at least for me. So I'm trying to build carry around the best gun, rather than go with convenience. At the moment, a snub S&W 66, with a good trigger, gets the most ride time, but the right holsters for a CZ Compact could replace revolvers for most purposes.

Elvishead
August 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
I have both. But the revolver is the back-up.

My home go to gun is a S&W SW9VE 9mm 16+1 rounds. First, it's not my carry. that would be my Ruger SP101 3" revolver.

But like you said, it's usually more than one person. Nothing makes me feel safer in my house than a 17 round pistol. With 3 other back up clips close buy along with speed loads.

That sigma has 4000 rounds, trouble free shots through it, with no problems. And I do keep it next to me at home along with my SP101 in the holster. along with a centralized revolver in the kitchen drawer (Taurus .357 8 wheel) and a 6 wheel at the far end of the house also for others to back me up or if I have to retreat to that end of the house with no gun.

TBS, I'm looking at those CZ75s for better long range accuracy. MY Sigma, I can rapid fire at 45"feet"/15yds and get 3/4 in the 6-8" kill zone. so that's about 10 well placed shots by just point/shoot. After 45 feet gun really is hard to keep in the kill zone even if I take my time because of the stiff long trigger pull. That's why I'm considering the CZ75 because I know it will shoot better at greater distances.

Don't need one, but want one.

Elvishead
August 15, 2007, 12:08 AM
PS, You should of had your wife with a gun as a backup. She might be Pregnant, but she still can shoot. So you have more than one person too.

Jkwas
August 17, 2007, 02:44 PM
I am more comfortable around revolvers, but as of late I'm leaning more toward autos. When I look out the front window and see groups of 3 and 4 wandering around the street it has me thinking more is better. The Ruger P89 will replace my 5 shot snub for around the house. When I run out of ammo, I can club somebody with it. When I step out these days I try to carry an auto when practical, especially at night. A bad element has moved into my neighborhood, and I'm not real happy about it.

springmom
August 17, 2007, 03:42 PM
I love my revolvers. My snubbie is concealable when nothing else is, my .357 is just a hoot to take to the range (especially with .38's in it, I can shoot it all day). My .44mag is for hunting, something I'd not try with any of my pistols.

But I too have had occasion to look at a group of young males unknown to me walking around our little neighborhood late at night and thought, "You know, I don't have enough rounds with me."

We were walking the dogs one evening in June. I had the snubbie IWB, no speedloaders with me. Here came five or six young males. One of them, I think, lives in the neighborhood. The rest I'd never seen before. I'm sorry to say, but their mode of dress (pants barely covering their rears), all-red shirts and shorts, swagger, bandanas...I was thinking about that snubbie.

So I too think about two more rounds per mag, the ease of switching out mags in a hurry, and the revolvers are relegated to special occasions, and the Kimber becomes the default carry. Used to be in the summer it was the snubbie every day. Not so much now.

I won't retire them, and I certainly won't get rid of them, but they're backup, not the main event at this point.

Springmom

Deaf Smith
August 17, 2007, 08:43 PM
If you want a simi-auto for carry, I'd get one, but...

May I suggest not actually 'retiring' one's revolvers. Instead, use them as emergency guns stashed around the house. Some methods work well if you have no children to worry about and others are better if they are around (I should say safer for the kids.)

Some methods incude:

Getting a nail, a bit of rubber tubing, and you can cut the tubing up, slip the nail through it, and then any cabinet in the kitchen or bathroom or laundry room can have a revolver very carefully stashed. Just hammer then nail in and hang the gun by the trigger guard. Use your imagination as to where to nail the nail.

False books is another method.

Also some drawers even have enough space below them for a 5 shot revolver to reside. And magnets can keep a small gun underneath a coffee table.

Fake pictures are made that can have a gun behind the 'clock' or picture.

Fake electrical switches are also another way. Simply cut a wall hole for a light switch (which goes to nothing) and hinge a light switch to open and expose the weapon.

Oh, there are lots of way to keep a few revolvers handy incase you are 'invaded'.

And then there is pepper spray you can hide.

mountainclmbr
August 17, 2007, 10:14 PM
I have several revolvers that I have had for years. I don't plan to get rid of them especially since my wife can't operate the slide on any of my semi-autos.

My awareness of available rounds and stopping power happened about 20 years ago in Florida. I went to the ATM at mid afternoon on Sunday before going to the grocery store. I pulled into the bank parking lot and went to the ATM. I was carrying a Colt Pocket Pony Lite .380 with 5 rnd magazine and one in the chamber and carried in right front pocket. I had just entered PIN and amount when a car from the adjacent gas station pulled up directly behind me in the handicapped parking. There were 5 or maybe 6 gang-looking youths that I could hear arguing about who was goi'n to get me. I had only 6 rounds of .380.

I grabbed my money and ATM card and ran back to my car. I had a Glock 30 in the glove compartment and before I had it out the Gang Bangers were screeching out of the parking lot.

I currently carry semi-autos with spare magazines, and in a caliber that ends in 4. But in the house I keep revolvers that myself and my wife can both operate.

ActivShootr
August 18, 2007, 12:44 AM
Don't put them out to pasture just yet. As another poster said, you can conceal them around the house and keep an auto handy for late nite door knocks.

On a side note, 1am is an odd hour for building maintenance to be fixing toilets. Unless its flooding the place I wouldnt have let them in. You sure they were'nt casing your place?

springmom
August 18, 2007, 09:37 AM
Activ, the OP said that his toilet was indeed flooding the downstairs, so the call itself was legitimate.

May I suggest not actually 'retiring' one's revolvers. Instead, use them as emergency guns stashed around the house. Some methods work well if you have no children to worry about and others are better if they are around (I should say safer for the kids.)

You know, I would rather not have to remember where my gun is in a moment of stress; and I'd rather them not be somewhere where a burglar breaking in and ransacking my house can find them. Guns unused belong in a safe. Otherwise, they belong on one of us.

My son had his guns hidden, or thought he did...until a daytime burglar broke in and found them all. didn't take the shotgun; they were after handguns and carbines, stuff they could take out of the house without a lot of trouble and could get rid of fast. I read a lot about people doing this, but you do take a risk of losing your firearms if you do.

Springmom

retiredchief
August 18, 2007, 06:51 PM
http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/1719010/

"Multiple masked suspects armed with firearms..... "

Deaf Smith
August 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
So what are you going to do, Springmom, take all the guns in the car when you go to work? Just own one gun? Carry them all?

Just don't stick them under the bed, or in the closet, or any place where they would look if they had half a brrain. And don't tell a bunch of people you own a nice collection. Word does get around.

kraven
August 19, 2007, 07:48 PM
whether pistol or revolver, they are both machines. Machines break and fail from time to time. c'est la vie.

Pick either one. Sounds like you'll be more confident with the auto.

ActivShootr
August 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
My safe stays locked when Im not home. I have my bedside/carry gun that seldom gets abandoned and I have a gun cleverly concealed in the throne room. I dont leave anything laying around that could fall into the wrong hands.

Doc TH
August 19, 2007, 10:27 PM
Homerboy, I think you missed my point. Yes, in most of the years covered by the survey the NYPD was using revolvers. But the real significance of the data was not how many shots someone - cop or perp - may have chosen to fire. The findings show that at the time of the survey, most gunfights were ended rapidly, with only a few shots fired. The survey found the single most critical factor in ending the fight was not shots fired, or caliber of handgun, but shot placement.

Jkwas
September 2, 2007, 05:26 PM
My revolvers are mostly now being relegated to the backseat. I've taken posession of a Keltec for pocket carry, and using my Taurus PT111 for OWB. Both offer practical advantages I'm sad to say, but I won't be giving up my revolvers none too soon thank you very much.
Damn Progress, Damn it I say! :mad:

FLA2760
September 2, 2007, 11:10 PM
I too love my wheelguns; but my primary is a Glock 23. 13+1 of .40 plus a 15 round G22 magazine as a reload. If you prefer 9mm the G17 or 19 are good.
A good pump shotgun is hard to beat for home defense too. Mossberg 500 is a good bet. Good luck.

seeker_two
September 3, 2007, 03:30 PM
A good pump shotgun is hard to beat for home defense too. Mossberg 500 is a good bet.

I've always been baffled by the viewpoint that a 5- or 6-shot revolver (esp. a SA revolver :eek: ) is totally inappropriate for SD.....but a 4- or 5-shot shotgun that has to be pumped between shots is the best of all choices.... :rolleyes:

It's the craftsman that makes the difference...more than the tool.... :cool:

Avenger11
September 3, 2007, 05:39 PM
I think a nice revolver is an engineering marvel! The lockup, the click, the simplicity of operation, and durability is something you have to love. Revolvers will always have a prominent place in my shooting hobby.
However, for SD I choose my Kimber 45, for capacity reasons only.

sw_florida
September 7, 2007, 08:32 PM
and expect him to feel good about that. That's why I'm upping my 2.5" to a 4" .357 magnum as concealed carry and home invation answer. Once an aggressor is hit you must be able to drop him mentally and target scumbag nr 2. The only reason I don't carry a .44 mag is that it's difficult to conceal. My next gun purchase could be a shot gun over a hand gun. In the darkness of the night you don't know how hurt an intruder is from a hit of yours. You must be able to rely on that if you got a hit then he's out. Buy a gun that fits that description. .38 Special from a snubby is just aggrevating an attacker into super power.

Homerboy
September 9, 2007, 08:58 AM
Fastbolt:
I came on the job at 20 and retired early with 15 years. Had a REAL close call on 9/11, and then the job decided to screw us yet again with a crappy contract with zero raises for the first two years, after we lost 33 cops that day. My wife and I have never been happier.

The S&W 3913 now has bedside duty. The 642 goes in the pocket when I'm going to Blockbuster, abd it's always there for occasional carry, but when jacket weather comes, it's 3913 in a pancake holster time.

SpectreBlofeld
September 9, 2007, 11:13 PM
What I carry...
http://spectreblofeld.googlepages.com/DSC_0023.jpg

What I would go to in a home emergency...
http://spectreblofeld.googlepages.com/DSC_0017.jpg

Though I do also have a Bersa Thunder that I sometimes alternate for carry. Fits in the same IWB holster as the snubbie...

Can't really predict what would serve me better, 7+1 rounds of .380 acp or 5 rounds of .357 Magnum, now, can I?

If the weather was cooler, I'd probably be sporting the CZ P-01 pictured above, as I feel that 14+1 9mm Hydra-Shoks to be better than both, but it's not as comfortable to carry in "deep" cover. Fatter, and sharper edges; the 651 is sexy smooth :)

The snubbie has done more time in the holster lately.

fastbolt
September 10, 2007, 12:34 AM
Good for you Homerboy.

The family and happiness is what's important at the end of the day. ;)

My wife can hardly wait for me to retire, and she'd be more than a little pleased if I came home on any given day and I told her that I'd suddenly had enough and put in my papers ...

My favorite pancake-type holster, especially for my 3913, is a Don Hume H726. I used one for my 6906 for several years. Fast & secure ... with emphasis on the fast. Since it's a semi-open front holster it requires less upward movement than many regular belt slides & pancakes before the muzzle clears and the pistol can be presented. Not a bad deal for a shoulder which previously had rotator-cuff surgery, either. ;)

http://www.donhume.com/Products/ProductsPage.cfm?ProductID=49

The older models seemed to 'break in' easier, and had tunnel loop belt slots instead of the newer ones which just have slots. Here's a picture of one of mine, for a CS45, which is an older model.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/th_CS45inHumeH726.jpg (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/fastbolt/CS45inHumeH726.jpg)

Stay well and best regards,
fb