PDA

View Full Version : winchester model 70 xtr .300 weatherby

Neufy
January 26, 2007, 05:07 PM
I bought this rifle not too long ago. It has a 26" barrel with a muzzle brake cut into it. I have a 44 mag simmons 6.5-20 on it. The chamber and rifleing seem to be in good shape. My problem is that at 100 yrds it might shoot one shot 1" right of center and the next one 3"high and 2" right and then the next one might be 4" low(kind of a shot gun pattern). At 25 yrd's it will shoot consistently. I am wondering if anybody would have any suggestions or awnswers for at this point I am willing to try anything.

Wildalaska
January 26, 2007, 05:13 PM
1. Check crown.
2. Check brake for what we call "dinging" (bullet brushing the sides)
3. Check action screws and tighten.
4. Toss away Simmons scope, remount good scope properly.

WildthenreportbackAlaska

Neufy
January 27, 2007, 12:33 PM
If it is the muzzle brake would anybody know what kind of a performance drop there would be if I got the barrel cut down to 24"s. I did notice that one of the slot's cut into muzzle went through the rifling. I know nothing of brakes and where they should be cut in as to not hinder performance.
Thanks.

Harry Bonar
January 27, 2007, 03:12 PM
Dear Sir:
In addition to WILDALASKAS recomendations I'd add, " Check bbl. contact with forend - and float it. I'd get rid of that brake!
Harry B.

BUGS BUNNY
January 30, 2007, 12:57 AM
:)
Funny i have a Win70 SS Classic same cal, it will shoot way better than I, behind the house we have a 200yd target it will shoot 3 shot groups 1.5 inch or better, me being the weak link.

everyone gave you good advice. Mine doesnt have a break, but a 26 inch tube.

*Check your scope bases & rings (use decent quality mounting HW)
*Check your action Torque (35 inch lbs) correct me if i wrong am someone.
*Take the center trigger guard screw out & shoot a few groups w/o it
*Check your barrel bedding: a quick test is to take a couple small pieces of tape lay the slices neatly in barrel bed at the end of stock (not on any caps) add some upward pressure (torque 2 action bolts & shoot a few groups)

Sometimes trying pin point an issue can be a long process, i full length glassed my rifles, i see others suggesting floating (hornets nest)

I replaced the toothbrush stock with a Bell & Carlson, the 2 piece floorplate with a Williams 1 pc, Rifle Basix trigger, Leupold QR bases / rings topped with a 30mm tubed Leupold scope.

I never knew Winchester to offer a muzzle break & it sounds as though its part of the barrel which leads me to think that has been done outside the factory.

Cutting the barrel back will drop MV

Good luck ;)