PDA

View Full Version : Round stuck in AR

rangermonroe
January 22, 2007, 12:45 PM
At the range this AM, first round chambered.

It slid into the chamber before I had released the bolt handle fully, so it didn't have enough force to put the extractor over the rim. So I dropped the mag, and pullde th bolt to the rear and let 'er fly. I don't have a forward assist.

I looked at the bolt carrier and it appeared to be in battery, so I pulled the trigger. Click. Now I have a hammer down on a live round. I can't pull the bolt rearward at all.

I took the lower off, and beat the charging handle rearward until it tore the rim off.

The primer wasn't struck.

Now it gets really good. :rolleyes:

I figure I'll just tap it backwards witha cleaning rod. I have a nice new brass one in my range box. I didn't want to screw it up, so I put the military steel tip thing that is about 3" long on the end and began tapping.

Well, now the steel tip is lodged on top of the bullet and wont come out.

Now I have a DPMS barrel with a live round behind a steel tip and one length of brass rod. :o

How about a little help, guys?

FWIW, this was not Wolf ammo. And I had just used some Break Free Foaming Bore cleaner and I may have had some left in the chamber.

rickdavis81
January 22, 2007, 01:27 PM
This happened to my DPMS a while back. I was shooting my friends reloads he wanted to get rid of. I was rapid firing at targets when it quit. We looked at it and thought the case stuck after firing. The charging handle wouldnt pull the bolt back and a cleaning rod wouldn't tap it out. I went to the hardware store and bought a small diameter steel rod and tapped it with a hammer, and then tapped harder. It finally came out. Cleaned the rifle and checked it out and the barrel and chamber came out fine but then we realized the scary part. It was a live round. It got stuck on the way in. I shoved the bullet down into the casing. Not sure it could have gone of but it seems likely. He thinks he might not of full length sized them. Anyway if your sure it's an empty round get a small diameter steel rod, cost me like .40 cents, slide it into the casing and tap it with a hammer. Good luck.

rangermonroe
January 22, 2007, 01:28 PM
It is a Live round.

rangermonroe
January 22, 2007, 04:10 PM
Well, I got it out

I heated the chamber with a torch for about 10 minutes.... ;)

I tried the rubber mallet on the cleaning rod, no joy. Then the BFH, success!