PDA

View Full Version : Flintlock as firework -- how to shoot blanks?

wjg686
December 24, 2006, 11:55 PM
The title says it all. In a .50 caliber rifle, what sort of load and wadding might be appropriate for New Year's Eve noisemaking?

Bill

Hafoc
December 25, 2006, 12:05 AM
When I used my .58 Enfield Musketoon as a noismaker at a shiveree, I just poured loose powder down the barrel, pointed her skyward and let her fly. Made a perfectly acceptable boom that way. :D Normal load was about 60 grains, and that's what I used.

If you aren't going to point her skyward, you'll need something to keep the powder from pouring out-- but I'd think any sort of lightweight paper would do that. Just be careful not to set anything on fire with burning tissue paper...

4V50 Gary
December 25, 2006, 11:25 AM
wouldn't use more than 20-30 grains. It's for noisemaking afterall and not shooting lead.

BobMcG
December 31, 2006, 10:52 PM
BKGD: Being a French & Indian War and Revolutionary War reenactor, I'm quite familiar with shooting loads minus the projectiles.

ARMS: The most common personal firearms are smooth-bore muskets in .62, .69 and .75cal.. All are flintlocks except a rare matchlock once in a while. There are a few rifles used too during Rev War battles and even fewer during F&I battles. The Jaeger companies are OC rifle companies.

LOADS: The most common loadings are 60, 80, and 100grs of FFFg BP. On the battlefield during an engagement, ramrods are not allowed to be used so you are carrying and firing a loose load.

IN GENERAL: The smaller the bore with a like load the sharper the report is over a larger bore. IE: 80gr in a 20ga sounds more potent than 80gr in an 11ga weapon. On occasions when you are firing but not during an engagement the paper cartridge is rammed down after the powder and this gives a much louder report than the same loose load. The rammed paper makes a big difference in the loudness level.

BTW: The 60gr loads on the battlefield sound very weak in any bore. They make a pound of powder last longer though if you're being frugal.

wjg686
January 1, 2007, 04:27 PM
with about 60 grains of loose powder. Sure seemed a lot cruddier afterwards, though. Poorer combustion due to lack of pressure?